The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ditching (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Curtis Kam gives some good insight into the art of ditching in his pocketbook. (A book that begs for further discussion. So much so that I'd like to use it as a topic starter.) Mostly he deals with ditching an extra coin by putting all or some of the visible coins away and going from there.

What are some of you favorite methods of ditching?

Do you have any that don't involve going to the pocket?
Wes
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
ALWAYS find a good motivation...
for example..."OMG its cold " ,and naturally put your 2 hands in your pockets
or... "what time is it"? finding your cellphone...
just create your own lines and keep it simple Smile
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Sleeves, button down shirts, laps, top pockets.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Ditching in the breast pocket of a button down shirt is somthing I use regularly. I love it it looks so clean.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2753 Posts

Profile of lunatik
My favorites are the Workeroo and the Silent Butler! It doesn't get any cleaner than these 2 imo.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2009-06-03 15:27, ray raymond wrote:
Ditching in the breast pocket of a button down shirt is somthing I use regularly. I love it it looks so clean.

Hi
I was just thinking of this the other day. Do you ditch the coin on your first magic pass(near pocket) or do you do it on the following passes.
Thanks
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Nothing worse than being left handed when it comes to a breast pocket ditch. Oh well!
Sammy J. Teague
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
That's way All my Coats and Vests Have Four Pockets! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
I ditch in my rear pants pocket (no jokes please . . .).

I perform Sankey's The Changeling a lot, also I'm a huge fan of attention direction.So when it's time to ditch with my left hand I lean diagonally forward and to the right, bending slightly at the waist. My right hand comes forward to show the signature transpo, and my left hand hovers naturally over the pocket - and I ditch.

P.S. I know it's natural because I discovered the left hand position by accident.
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8826 Posts

Profile of funsway
For me, "when to ditch" is as important as "where" -- leading to an inclusion of 'Idle' as Subtlety in several of my ShareBooks, with thoughts on just keeping an object "out of service" temporarily, to be used later or ditched at an appropriate moment. Check out K&S GUIDE -- No Charge for serious performers.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Glen
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Glen
I needed to lose a coin right after the production of a large coin so I reached in my pocket for a scarf to polish the big coin and left the other coin behind. Simple but it works.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I use a magnetic hold out in my right rear pocket. I never leave home without it.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea You Allways Have to know Not just HOW To do something But When, Any WHY To do something!!!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
The methode I use most often, when I know that I will have to ditch one or more coins is very simple and works every time. If I have to get rid of a coin IN the course of a routine, I leave my coin purse on the table and when I need to ditch the coin, on the off beat once finish with my extra coin I simply pocket the coin purse and the coin at the same time. For the people, I simply clean the place before doing another magic effect. If I have to ditch a coin AT THE END of a routine, I pocket the coin purse at the start of the routine and at the end I simply reach inside my pocket to get my coin purse and ditch my coin on the same move.

I know, I know, it's not rocket sciences but soooooo effective!!!
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
I don't ditch often... but, when I have to, I usually try to ditch in either my rear pocket or side coat pocket; I always try to do this under the cover misdirection and/or the of moving my body. For example, if I need to ditch to my right rear pocket, I would do so (ideally) while turning my left shoulder toward the spectator(s) and doing something with the left hand (coin roll, reveal a vanish, production, etc.)

Best Wishes,
Kyle
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3948 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
There is a whole section on the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD's (volume 4), as well as several tricks, that use the concept of "matting", to ditch coins.
First edition and reprint of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME! The good news, though, is that I have reprinted the book once again (they are selling like hotcakes!), so there are enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I again have a limited supply of books that I can sign. All come with a special FREE GIFT until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com . The books are here and ready to ship!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 16:52, David Neighbors wrote:
Yea You Allways Have to know Not just HOW To do something But When, Any WHY To do something!!!

That says it all!

Mabuhay from Manila!

rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 09:36, Mediocre the Great wrote:
I use a magnetic hold out in my right rear pocket. I never leave home without it.

I carry one coin in each pocket at the front and one magnet in each of my back pockets. I'm fortunate as most Canadian coins are attracted to them. This makes it easy to ditch/steal but of course at the right time and for the right reason. I sometimes (call me crazy) also keep a coin on top of my head just to be extra ready.

jeff
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
514 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
I always carry a Sharpie marker with me and usually keep it in my right side pocket when performing magic that will leave me 'dirty'. After the effect is over, I pause briefly, and reach into my right pocket. I ditch the coin and come out with the Sharpie marker.

Then I'll hand the Sharpie to the spectator and say, "here, mark the spot on the ground where you plan to build my temple". Of course, this is said tongue-in-cheek and usually gets a brief laugh. The key of course, is not to nervously rush straight into the pocket immediately after the effect.

I got this idea from a wonderful book titled, Close Up Illusions, by the late, great, Gary Ouellet!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Quite a few good ideas here, but just so people don't get the wrong idea, here's the caveat: there's a bit more to it than just having something in your pocket and taking it out.

Slydini used to point out that no matter what your excuse is for going to the pocket, the action will be suspicious unless the audience knows why you're going to your pocket Before you do it. During and after are too late. Suspicion will have already attached, and the "explanation" will only sound like an excuse.

That's it, warning over. Play safely.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ditching (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL