The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Baysians out there? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I've known the theorem for years, and been vaguely aware of the principles, but I've never properly studies Baysian methods before. I just started a bit of self-study (actually I'm trying to improve my facility with the R language) and WOW! It's starting to make sense.

Any other fun-loving Baysians out there? Smile

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I know and practice that of which you speak.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
As you may recall, we had a discussion about R in this here forum a few months back. How are you using it to do Bayesian analysis? That's not really what it is specifically designed for, after all. Though you can obviously use it for that purpose.

But if you want to blow your mind with some computing software that is specifically designed to implement Bayesian analyses (using MCMC), you should look into BUGS / WinBUGS and OpenBUGS:

http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/bugs/

http://mathstat.helsinki.fi/openbugs/

And you might also enjoy this article about the Rev. Bayes:

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/maths/histstat/bayesbiog.pdf
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I grabbed the pdf book Statistics using R with Biological Examples by Seefeld and Linder.

The first part of the book gives a bit of basic R and reviews a some elementary statistics in a mathematically nonrigorous way. When I got up to Chapter 9, I followed a couple of basic Baysian examples that just made the ideas clearer to me than they had been before.

At a completely "noob" level, I modeled a coin toss by first assuming that I didn't know what the probability distribution should look like. Then using R to successively modify the Beta distribution as I added new trials, the visual impact was quite compelling.

I've heard about BUGS, but I haven't used it yet. I'll have to check it out in the next while, thanks. Learning more about MCMC is definitely on my todo list.

Now I feel a bit goofy, but I guess what I first posted about was the intensity of the AHA! when I used R to work through some simple ideas.

John
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
WinBUGS is much easier to use than R, for doing Bayesian problems ... especially advanced ones.

This is getting a bit off topic, but Persi Diaconis (a student of Dai Vernon's) wrote a paper recently about the bias in coin tossing. I have not yet read it myself, but it might interest you:

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~cgates/PER......ithJ.pdf

http://www.codingthewheel.com/archives/t......position

Also:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/chance_......ml#item4

Coin spinning is a step up from coin tossing. Because of the way different coins land when spun, a mixture of Beta distributions can be used as as sensible prior in this case. That makes for a more dramatic numerical illustration.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
All the time, but only in conjunction with playing bridge or poker.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Well, and evaluating socio-political claims.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Thanks for all the links, Balducci. I'll read the Diaconis paper this week. I'm looking at BUGS, but it'll take me a while to decide if I'm ready for it yet.

John

PS

I will spell "Bayesian" correctly.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Lines don't count when you use copy\paste
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Baysians out there? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL