The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors Nightmare (An Idiotic Question) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
313 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
While I haven't performed Professor's Nightmare in a few years (No, I have no idea why either) I do remember the handling (and yes, I know there are no gaffs) but the one thing I do not remember is what lengths to cut the 3 ropes. I also seem to recall the ends of the ropes getting frayed, any easy solutions for this or should I just use white electrical tape on the ends?

Thanks
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1722 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Obsidian52,

Daryl has given in his Rope Routine an explanation of how to cut the ropes in the right length for this effect.
To avoid the ropes getting frayed you could use either electrical tape or white glue that turns out clear once it's dry. You could aswell wrap some thread at 0,5 cm under the rope ends around them.

Oliver.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2263 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The sizes are relatively linked. The formula is B = (A/2 + C/2) Hopefully that will make sense. I start with the smalest one as that size is the same for every version I use. The next is the middle one as that is the range of the spread of the hands at full extension thn I extrapolate the other.

There are hundreds of ways of finishing the ends including those above, rope dip, whipping and many others. For years I've just used single braid nylon and cut it with a hot box which melts the ends and keeps them from fraying. The nylon also tends to wear better as it slides more than a cotton rope which tends to show the wear spots more.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8517 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are ways to cut any length rope into the proper segments during a live performance, even if you shorten the lengths with cut & restore effects in the process. For me, I would never attemp to explain why I start out with three ropes of differing lengths -- hardly natural. Cutting a long ropw into shorter pieces and performing an effect with each different length because that was 'just right' makes more sense. If you later stretch these lengths to be the same -- and then do linking ropes with them -- all the better, or even restore tham all back into a single rope.

These ideas evolved into an eBook 'NeckLacy' -- available at No Charge to serious performers.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2237 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
" The Professor's Nightmare - THe Awakening" Is my book of 25 story themed routines for the PN. It is available from Leaping Lizards Magic for all who may be interested.

Kotah
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
In my lecture, I do a method that does not care what lengths the rope are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slGS-qUo8Jg

Also, Pete Biro does a nice set up for the ropes, that automatically sets the ropes up for nightmare. If you can do it on the fly, its better.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2263 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-06-04 07:52, magicians wrote:
If you can do it on the fly, its better.

Well.. at least it's more convenient!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
nachotuoni
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
58 Posts

Profile of nachotuoni
Can you give a little bit more of information? Do you want to cut the rope in the performance or you just want to know the lenght of the ropes to perform it as a different efect from the one you are performing at that time?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You could start out with a cut and restored which would allow you to get the small rope at the start. Then, after that cut, have the rope longer on one side and shorter on the other. Then have the spectator cut it again, thus getting your middle and long.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Hey Magicians!

Love the ending of your routine. Sent you a pm to learn more.

Mike Smile
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Here is the thread about "Dances with Ropes"
In relation to this post, linking ropes are used for the nightmare.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=9&33
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Jim Pierce has a nice routine in his book The Restaurant Worker's Handbook. He starts with 3 equal size ropes that change into the different lengths, then they go back to the equal lengths. He then goes into a short rope routine with the short & long piece. He ends with the three equal lengths again and the ropes are also reset to perform again.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
827 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Just in case anyone's trying to track down the above mentioned book - it's by Jim Pace and Jerry McGregor.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I will be releasing an ungimmicked linking ropes/professors nightmare sequence as part of "Dances with Ropes" newest version.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Ian has a KICK @s$ routine that I NEVER do...unless I'm doing it for other Magicians. Picture it. You come out with 3 ropes, small medium and large. Twist them into your hand ala the standard PN and pull them like always and they stretch to be the exact same length.

NOW...

Hand the 3 ropes to the audience and they see they are in fact the same length. They keep the ropes...and yer done! CLEAN!

I remember the first time I did this was at my restaurant for about 25 Magicians waiting to go to a lecture in our back room. I began doing the routine and about half the magicians stopped paying attention. I played it up perfectly...when I handed out the ropes, the jaws hit the floor. I turned and walked off.

TO THIS DAY...I still have a few ask me how the hell I did that...

Ian is THE MAN WITH THE PLAN!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
I did that same thing, Chris, back in the late 70's when I had my magic shop at the MGM Grand Hotel, in Reno, Nevada. Great stunt to play on magicians.

-Ron

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Ron, not quite the same thing I assure you. PM me, as I hereby challenge that it is not the same method!! Perhaps the same effect.
You may, however, have seen the effect as it has been part of my lecture since 1977, and developed in 1974'
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Ian... I am sure it's not the same method as yours. I came up with the idea and used to do it on magicians I knew only. Was not something that I would ever put out. I was refering to Chris's post as it sounded exactly like what I did.

I'm sure yours was a method worth printing up as you are a rope wizard. I mean that sincerely. My rope effects are limited to about 5 different effects that are well known.

No need for a challenge. LOL

-Ron

Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
You can probably suss the method for measuring the ropes in a live performance from this video of my Mongolian Pop-Knot Routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOkWUM7yI
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I can not belive no body has answered the question Yet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors Nightmare (An Idiotic Question) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL