The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors Nightmare (An Idiotic Question) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The question has been answered several times. You need a map?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-06-20 23:25, Whit Haydn wrote:
You can probably suss the method for measuring the ropes in a live performance from this video of my Mongolian Pop-Knot Routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOkWUM7yI

Whit, the actual lengths are almost as clear as your mongolian knot instruction. Just to mention, I can and have watched your routine over and over again, as is it always a delight.

Bernie,
As far as the actual ,length of the ropes. Pick any number, as it not the size that matters (thank goodness), but the proportions of the ropes that count.
So, pick a number from 6-12. Lets say 10, fold it in half you get 5.
Now, a number from 24-36, lets say 30.
Fold each in half, you get 5" and 15", and add them to get 20" and that is the length of the third rope.
When you get done, you have a 10", 20" and 30" rope.
The beginner kits have 6", 12" and 18" ropes.
Bottom line, there is no set lengths, only proper proportions.
Which, is why you can make the set on the fly, by cutting the ropes into the lengths as Whit does in his video. And, it is why your answers have been a little vague. We want you to find the lengths that are comfortable for your routine. It also has to do with how visible you want to have the ropes. Stage vrs. close-up vrs. parlour.

Now, about frayed ends. Tape the ends, glue the ends, I have even heard of people pushing the ends into the tip of the rope and sewing the tips, or fugedaboudit and give the ropes to your audience after each performance. Oops, I forgot you are a clown and you don't make a lot of money like magicians(just kidding).

I use the "nightmare patter" and tell the audience about averaging ropes. If you add the lengths and divide by 3, you will get the "middle size".
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2009-06-21 03:13, Bernie Balloons wrote:
The length of the rope would not reveal any secrets.

Dear Bernie,

I have the answer to your question. I won't give you a mathematical formula, and I won't tell you to pick a number. I got a version of this trick as a prize in a Christmas cracker last year and I measured the strings (it was a small version of the trick). The strings were as follows: small, 1 inch, medium, 2 inches, large 3 inches. That's it. This version has the advantage of not only allowing you to conceal the dirty work behind your thumb, but also allowing to hide the entire trick in your hand.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bernie
If you buy "Fiber Optics" Richard Sanders tells you how long his ropes are.

The reason for the equasion is because everyone is comfortable with a different length.

My best suggestion to you is to buy the Daryl 3 DVD set of "expert rope magic made easy". This set will give you all the understanding of rope magic that one would need.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Thank you for the info
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The key to PN is the middle length of rope. The middle length should be approximately eye level to about your waste line. The small piece should be approximately 9". The combination of the small and the long pieces should be equal to TWICE the middle length piece of rope.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2259 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I was simply trying to give an answer that would mean something to a magician and nothing to a casual non magician reading these posts. I didn't think the math would be that hard for anyone! My ropes I use for stage are quote a bit larger than the ones I use for the parlor act.

Hopefully we can inspire further research without "giving away" everything.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8517 Posts

Profile of funsway
Obsidian52,

I would have sent you a $19.91 complete routine at no charge for the asking -- but I will not describe it here. So, here is a simple but inadequate solution. Cut the rope into lengths of 1 foot, two foot (twice as long) and three foot (three times as long). If this combination is too long for you, stand on a stool. If it is too short, get on your knees.

If your real question is, "how long is a rope?" then no one can help you.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Paul Green's "In The Trenches" DVD has an excellent rope routine where you cut the ropes in the most natural way for the audience then goes into the Professor's Nightmare.
I know I have mentioned this excellent DVD in several posts but I think it is worth mentioning again and again.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Having both ends of the three ropes looking just the same is important. Otherewise an odd-looking one will show up in the "wrong" place during the routine. I once had three lollies/sweets made out of some solid jelly/gelatine mix, shaped as snakes and experiemented with using them for PN. But the heads and tails of them were too different for the effeft to work. Anyone else tried using different ends/coloured ends for the routine?
The presentation makes the magic.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1155 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I will second Iven's post regarding Paul Green's In The Trenches DVD. This shows a nice way of cutting the ropes while performing to get "into" the PN routine.

Also Obsidian, you asked about keeping the ropes from fraying. If you have a Target near you, you can buy a small pack of multi-colored electrical tape from 3M there. The pack I bought had rolls of white, red, yellow, green, and blue. This type of tape seems to work best and look best on the ends of rope, and if you have colored rope, it's nice to match the tape with the color of rope. Just a thought. I do a Ring and Rope routine using a nice length of blue rope, and have the ends capped with the blue tape. Works like a charm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professors Nightmare (An Idiotic Question) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL