The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The "Where Does This Go?" Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This past week we had company that seemed to have given the place a first class inspection. She observed everything.

The item that really drew attention is that scattered throughout the rooms of magic storage are Rubbermaid sweater boxes labeled "Where Does This Go?" I have actually found them to be major resources in getting parts of things back where they belong. It eliminates putting odd items in wrong places where they are unlikely to ever get back where they belong. Instead, the boxes are a great place to start a search for a missing part, instructions, etc.

Don't other people do something like this?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Yep, same thing. That's how I clean off my desk.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
All the piles on my desk with the exception of 1 very small pile are where does this go? piles.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Bob, I do not want to sound vain, but I am one of the most organized magicians ever. Every item that I own is is a Plastic Bag and is Marked with a Label covered with Tape. And I use those Carts from Wal-mart that are White/Clear Drawers to store all of my props except the larger props I have a Special Place for those. I cannot count the magicians that have come to my house and they see how organized I am and they think I have OCD. I DO NOT, I just like to be organized and I can honestly say that in over 20-years I have never and I mean never forgotten anything to take to a show as I am that well planned. When I get home everything goes back into their proper containers, bags, cases, etc. Come to my house and you will see what I mean. Every prop is also logged with the purchase price, date, and from whom I purchased the effect going back 20 plus years. It is now all on the computer as well. Books, DVD's, Lecture Notes, etc. all of the same way.

If anyone need advice on "Organizing" just let me know.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
WOW I wish I was that organized. 2 rooms in my house are full plus a climate controled storage buliding and I can honestly say I know where I need to look for something but it still takes a while to find. thanks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy says I'm not allowed to use the words "organized" or "logical".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I haven't seen my desk top in months!
Montana Santa
View Profile
New user
Montana
15 Posts

Profile of Montana Santa
I just built a "storage unit" that holds all my magic, my manniquins, my sound system -- everything I need to do a show. In addition, I put flaps on the top which expand the top space to 7 feet on which I can arrange everthing I'm going to use in a show. It's on wheels and I can move it, and the frame I built for a back drop, relatively easy by myself. It has five drawers of varying depths and I've made compartments to separate flashpaper from sponge balls, etc. It had a test run last week and worked like a champ!
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Bob.... I hope you are back to 100%. But then, you must be using your downtime to do more postings!

I once called on a client with a cluttered office. When he saw me look around he pointed to a certificate on his wall that proudly proclaimed "Pilot License... The bearer of this has earned the privelidge of organizing by Piling here, Piling there or 'Pile it' anywhere he wants"

I too have places for the "to be filed"... on my desk and in my magic closet. Periodically I go thru and clean it out by refiling or placing back into its proper place.

Thanks for all of your helpful postings.

Lynn
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lynn,

I must be back to my nutty 100%.

In spite of all the "organization" here, I lost my Seiko watch while at the IBM Convention in Nashville last week. My assumption was that since I did three stage shows on three different days (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) that I lost the watch during a costume change. (I take it off for the cuffs on a tux shirt.)

Today I got home in Alabama about 4 PM. After unloading the car, I found the watch in the back seat floor. Apparently the pin had come out of the band and it fell off when I unloaded the car in Nashville last Tuesday! I went the week without the watch and never noticed it until I packed to leave Nashville this morning.

I can't believe that I have become so dependent on my cell phone as a watch!

Should I put it in the "Where Does This Go?" Box? Or, do I really need another box: "Do I Really Need This?" ?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The "Where Does This Go?" Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL