The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kung fu legend dies :( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Shades of Michael Hutchence.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
What ever the reason, what ever the cause, this is one actor I will miss.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Agreed - I remember how much I looked forward to Kung Fu every Saturday night as a teenager.
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
Smile

Hanging by a rope but accidental? Huh?
How long does an autopsy take?
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For those wondering Vaughn Bode (my gawd, someone beside myself who knows Vaughns work!) he put, if what they were saying around the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers camp was legit, put an elastic tube around his throat with the idea being when he passed out it would unwrap, he'd breath again, and viola, wake up. It didn't unwrap and thus no mas Vaughn, genius that he was.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I have seen reports that it was self suffocation type thing for sex.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup, sexual apshixiation (sp). I do not advise it but if you are overcome with the desire make sure someone is there to save ya.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-06-05 00:16, MagicSanta wrote:
For those wondering Vaughn Bode (my gawd, someone beside myself who knows Vaughns work!) he put, if what they were saying around the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers camp was legit, put an elastic tube around his throat with the idea being when he passed out it would unwrap, he'd breath again, and viola, wake up. It didn't unwrap and thus no mas Vaughn, genius that he was.

I once heard that the person who found Bode's body was his roommate at the time, Bernie Wrightson. I can't think of a more appropriate artist to find a self strangulated cadaver.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
I have seen reports that it was self suffocation type thing for sex

I believe the term for it is Autoerotic Asphyxiation. The idea of sex and death being tied together is not new. There was even a taboo about it in the Bible in the Old Testament.

Carridine will be missed, I really liked his Caine character from the original Kung Fu. Interestingly enough, another great martial artist, Bruce Lee was originally meant to get the role.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Autoerotic! Yes! That is the word....
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Idiotic is another.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
I grew up with Caine...now with twin boys at age 8 and my wife, we spent the last 6 months going over all 3 seasons of Kung Fu and my boys fell in love with him...now he is gone. I came home last night and my wife told me what happened. I didn't believe her until I did a search and found out. I can't bare to tell my kids.

He will be missed.

-Scott M
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-06-05 00:16, MagicSanta wrote:

I was a big fan of "Cheech Wizard" in Nat Lamp. I have a 2-volume compilation of Bode's Cheech Wizard strips.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4064 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-06-05 01:36, MagiClyde wrote:
Interestingly enough, another great martial artist, Bruce Lee was originally meant to get the role.

If I remember right, Lee wanted the role very much, but the producers decided to go with Carradine.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Lee actually wrote the story line with himself in mind for the lead, but it was stolen from him in typical Hollywood fashion. He never lived down that a white non-martial artist was given his role.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2908 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2009-06-04 14:51, kcg5 wrote:
Yeah... we caught that part, captain obvious.

Excuse me, but it seemed as though people didn't understand what happened. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Some of you might remember this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

RANT ON:

About the whole Bruce Lee vs. David Carradine legend:

For a few years of my life I worshiped Bruce Lee. But no one stole anything from him to make the series--neither the idea nor the role. Lee's widow is the only one who ever made such an allegation, and there has never been any evidence from any other source to substantiate it. To the contrary, the producers have a much more viable explanation for their own concept than Linda does. All she knows is that Bruce was apparently a bit hurt about the whole thing, and while that gives him credit (it ain't no fault to be proud when you are the world's best at what you do), it does little toward getting at the truth.

The basic reason Lee didn't get the role is made obvious in the comedy "Kentucky Fried Movie". Anyone who knows and loves Bruce Lee as much as I do (I watch ALL of his movies several times a year, and have done since I first owned a VCR in 1980; before that I saw his films in the Golden Harvest Cinema in downtown Honolulu; I estimate that I have seen Enter the Dragon 1,000 times or more) knows his strengths and weaknesses as an actor. The TV series Kung Fu (which I also love and own and have watched multiple times) would have been a much different, and IMO much inferior series with Lee rather than Carradine. Carradine brought a much different sensibility to the role than Lee would have, and since the series was near perfect, I cannot imagine how Lee would have improved it.

With better kung fu, perhaps? The show wasn't about kung fu. The show was about Kwai Chang Caine, and Carradine became Kwai Chang for a couple of years. Bruce Lee--God bless him--would have always remained Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was the most exciting movie martial artist of all time. I don't want to take anything away from him. But David Carradine was Kwai Chang Cain. Let us remember him for that.

Oh...he did a darned good job at being Bill, too.

RANT OFF

Just my thoughts, of course. Your mileage may vary.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I read that chuck norris said " David Carridine is as good a martial artist as I am an actor". Anyone know the real opinion of his ability?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4064 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
From Wikipedia:

"In her memoirs, Bruce Lee's widow, Linda Lee Cadwell, asserts that Lee actually created the concept for the series, which was then stolen by Warner Bros.[2] However, there is no verifiable documentation of such an incident, and Herbie Pilato, in his 1993 book The Kung Fu Book of Caine: The Complete Guide to TV's First Mystical Eastern Western, commented on the casting history for the series, particularly on the involvement of both Carradine and Bruce Lee:

"Before the filming of the Kung Fu TV movie began, there was some discussion as to whether or not an Asian actor should play Kwai Chang Caine. Bruce Lee was considered for the role. In 1971, Bruce Lee wasn't the cult film hero he later became for his roles in Fists of Fury (1971), Enter the Dragon (1973), and Game of Death (1978). At that point he was best known as Kato on TV's Green Hornet (1966-1967) (Kung Fu guest actor Robert Ito reports that Lee hated the role of Kato because he "thought it was so subservient"). "In my eyes and in the eyes of Jerry Thorpe," says Harvey Frand, "David Carradine was always our first choice to play Caine. But there was some disagreement because the network was interested in a more muscular actor and the studio was interested in getting Bruce Lee." Frand says Lee wouldn't have really been appropriate for the series — despite the fact that he went on to considerable success in the martial arts film world. The Kung Fu show needed a serene person, and Carradine was more appropriate for the role. Ed Spielman agrees: "I liked David in the part. One of Japan's foremost Karate champions used to say that the only qualification that was needed to be trained in the martial arts was that you had to know how to dance. And on top of being an accomplished athlete and actor, David could dance." Nonetheless, grumbling from the Asian community would have made sense, given the fact that major roles for Asian actors were almost nonexistent. James Hong, an actor on the show and ex-president of the Association of Asian/Pacific American Artists (AAPAA) says that at the time Asian actors felt that "if they were going to do a so-called Asian hero on Kung Fu, then why don't they hire an Asian actor to play the lead? But then the show went on, we realized that it was a great source of employment for the Asian acting community." In fact, Hong says, Carradine had a good relationship with the Asian community. (pages 32-33)

"The Shaolin Temple which appeared in flashbacks was originally a set used for the 1967 film, Camelot. It was inexpensively and effectively converted for the setting in China."
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You would think they would run Kung Fu on one of the hundreds of useless cable chanels.

Is Bruce Lee known to the youngunz?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kung fu legend dies :( (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL