The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kung fu legend dies :( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Lee was quite busy between TV projects teaching privately. His clients were mostly 'Hollywood types', and included many producers and directors that he shared his many writing ideas and/or projects with. The book "Zen In The Martial Arts" by Joe Hyams is a great source of background of the way Lee lived and taught his famous clients. Lee was also a very prolific thinker and writer, and he was never slow to share his ideas with anyone he thought might be able to help advance them. He was the original "networker". Lina Lee is not the only source of the rumors. But to confess knowing the details is to also confess how Hollywood cheated a great man (but then still a relative unknown) out of a very important project of his own creation. People who are in the know, know very well that the reason he lost the project was due to racism. I am not implying that Carradine had anything to do with this.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There are scattered reports He was hung by his neck and "private parts", It doesn't sound like suicide to me. Do a search on the topic and you will find conflicting reports. Some say it was an accident, others say natural causes, others say suicide, then there is the "under investigation" statements.

I loved and saw every one of his movies especially Kung Fu and Kill Bill series.
Dennis Michael
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had lunch with Carradine about three or four weeks ago. This was at the Magic Castle, where he was a mamber. His closest pal, actor/magician Pat Culliton explained a lot of what the family knows about this and they prefer to not discuss it any farther.

Before any of you rush to judgement, wait please, until a final autopsy and more information is found out and released.

R.I.P. Grasshopper
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-06-05 18:33, Dennis Michael wrote:

I loved and saw every one of his movies

Really?!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001016/
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5021 Posts

Profile of landmark
The ever-creative New York Post's headline today was:

HUNG FU
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
375 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2009-06-05 15:50, MagicSanta wrote:
You would think they would run Kung Fu on one of the hundreds of useless cable chanels.

Is Bruce Lee known to the youngunz?

WHAT??? Are you saying you don't just love "The Real Housewives of Pinball Idaho"??
(No offense of any Idahoanians).
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
67 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Who really cares what he did in his private life? If was behind closed doors and was legal - go for it! Grasshopper rocked!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was gonna try hanging by my private parts but couldn't cinch the knot that tight! Well, it is sad he is gone as I found him enjoyable. I know nothing about the guy other than what I saw on movies and TV.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1856 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The last thing he did on television was Medium. He played the ghost of a guy people though had committed suicide in a hotel, but he had really been murdered. Hummm .............
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Interesting!
Dennis Michael
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I also liked the modern re-make of "Kung Fu" where Carradine played the grand-son of his original character! How many actors could pull THAT one off?

I remember a fan-fiction that made a "Kung Fu"/"A-Team" comparison as a telephone psychic is explaining to the lead characters; "If you have one problem, we send you to Mr. Caine at the temple. If you have a different problem, we send you to Mr. Lee at the Chinese Laundry. We're psychics, we know which one to send you to!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I'm sorry to hear about this. The Kung Fu series was one of my favorite shows, in part , due to David Carradine's acting abilities.

Regarding his skill as a martial artist, I recall seeing him as a guest on the Merv Griffin Show many years ago. Merv asked if he learned Kung Fu for the series. David said that he did not learn Kung Fu, he just did the movements he was told to do for each scene.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2009-06-04 18:10, Dr. Delusion wrote:
Either way it's a shame.
I enjoyed watching him in Kung Fu, and My Son and I thought he did a great job hosting The Wild west Tech show on the History channel.
Bob.

Actually, I believe it's Keith Carradine hosting Wild West Tech.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4048 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-06-06 18:46, NicholasD wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-04 18:10, Dr. Delusion wrote:
Either way it's a shame.
I enjoyed watching him in Kung Fu, and My Son and I thought he did a great job hosting The Wild west Tech show on the History channel.
Bob.

Actually, I believe it's Keith Carradine hosting Wild West Tech.

From Wikipedia:

In 2005, he took over hosting duties from his brother Keith on Wild West Tech on the History Channel.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
In Carradine's autobiography he says that no one involved in the show knew any martial arts for the first two seasons, he just waved his hands and feet around. Later, according to the book, they brought in an actual Shaolin monk to choreograph. So the later seasons would have been more authentic.
But, as others have stated, it wasn't about the fighting but the story and philosophy. It was blind Master Po's words of wisdom that really underlined whatever Caine was doing in that episode. That's what sticks with me.
There's a Carradine movie (which actually was intended as a Bruce Lee pic before he died) called "The Silent Flute" which is along the same lines as the show.
In that movie Carradine is the teacher to the character of "Cord."
After I saw that movie as an impressionable 'teen I walked around barefoot with a bell on my toe all over town for months.

Quote:
On 2009-06-06 18:38, NicholasD wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about this. The Kung Fu series was one of my favorite shows, in part , due to David Carradine's acting abilities.

Regarding his skill as a martial artist, I recall seeing him as a guest on the Merv Griffin Show many years ago. Merv asked if he learned Kung Fu for the series. David said that he did not learn Kung Fu, he just did the movements he was told to do for each scene.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kung fu legend dies :( (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL