The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What strength/size of magnet should I use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I'd like to attach a magnet inside back of my costume to steal/ditch a coin(s). Canadian $1 and $2 coins are attracted to magnets so I'm hoping that someone could give a recommendation as to the size/strength of magnet I should use. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Best!

jeff
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
It's best for you to experiment on what thickness/size you want to sew into your costume. The best magnets to use are neodymium magnets due to their power.

Best,
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I buy neodymium magnets that are 1/2 inch thick by 1 inch wide. For most holdouts a smaller one would probably work. I use mine to hold out a 3CM and want to make sure it holds. There are some great magnet shops on the internet that have anything you could imagine.

Cheers,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
You must experiment since each layer of cloth or leather deminishes the effectiveness of the magnet. Fortunatley they are cheap -- read the specs as to 'pull force' and keep a log. Also watch the polar alignment (thickness vs length). Obviously, if you place a magnet in your gaff as well you must check polarity. Some companies sell an 'experimenter's package' or you can just order a bunch of different sizes and strengths. Also check out 'steel clad' magnets for a lot of holding strength in a smaller size. But you can also have too much power. I "mis-gaffed a novel cup and now can't get the ball out!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Thanks for the info guys...much appreciated.

jeff
G.
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of G.
I think it really depends on how thick is your costume, and where you are going to put it, I've put a G2 Pk ring in my back pocket of my jean and it works (just for 1 coin that I needed), so if that's what you want you can feel free to try it Smile
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
If you want to upgrade the power of your neodymium magnet, place it on a metal surface (a rectangular thin sheet of metal found in hobby shop for exemple...)The magnetic field of your magnet is increased on the face opposite to the sheet almost to double. It's useful to know that, this way you can choose a smaller magnet meaning smaller pocket space occupied by your magnet. The best place to wear this is inside one of your back pocket.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I used several nd magnets covered by felt as a topit of sorts...
**--snap--**
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I think the critical thing is that the magnet have the appropriate power once fitted. It would suck to have a magnet so strong you couldn't get the coin away from it!
The presentation makes the magic.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Michael craft stores have neodymium magnets - I use 3 or 4 of the thin large ones stacked. more than enough for my 3cm and will even hold a set of car keys.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Thanks for the info on Michael's as we do have a few around here for me to check. Interesting to know about how to increase the power of a magnet.

jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What strength/size of magnet should I use? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL