The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Cigarette magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Recommendations for good DVDs or books?
k13pt0maniac
View Profile
New user
Brownsville, Texas
92 Posts

Profile of k13pt0maniac
Anything by Tom Mullica, and pick up Keith Clark's Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks.

-Abe
-Abe a.k.a. C3rb3rus
rantaak
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of rantaak
Also, check out Flare. I've never gotten it to work convincingly, but it has massive potential.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Thanks a lot. I will def. check it out.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I use to have the same thing with Flare. I could never get it to work, but like Rantaak mentioned, it does have potential.
John Kennedy has a nice T&R effect

Daren
Twitter @darjames
Mike Webb
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Mike Webb
Tom Mullica does not tip any of his real stuff.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 08:19, Mike Webb wrote:

Actually, he did. From what I've heard, he is reluctant to perform the Nicotine Nincompoop act.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 17:27, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:

Actually, he did. From what I've heard, he is reluctant to perform the Nicotine Nincompoop act.

He no longer performs it, but he taught it (Nicotine Nincompoop) thoroughly on one of his videos.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 01:28, manal wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 17:27, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:

He no longer performs it, but he taught it (Nicotine Nincompoop) thoroughly on one of his videos.

Do you know which one?
Not that I intend to do it, it's madness!
It would be useful to hear his thoughts on tongueing etc. I've not found many other resources. To be fair it is a bit of a "try it until you've come to terms with burning yourself" sort of thing.

Neal
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
My favorite is a routine taught to me by Tim Conover about 30 years ago. Pull a paper out of a Zig Zag sleeve (fl*** paper), grab tobacco from the air, light it, it turns into a cigarette. Light the cigarette, take a puff, talk about how this is bad for you. Push the lit cigarette into your hand. Gone! I don't think he ever published it. I'm not even sure he came up with it, but it kills. Cigarette magic is so taboo in the United States, but if I'm outside I can still pull it off.
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
I get away with doing cigarette magic on the street, you can see in some peoples faces they are against it because there are almost alwasy kids present at a street show, but I do it anyways.

I will not explain my routine on here but I will state I end with the old cigarette pull and by the end of the routine nobody cares about the cancer sticks of death.

It is getting harder to borrow a smoke these days, dang things are so expensive!
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
I think that cigarette magic is just too antisocial now, although I find it really magical. I was wondering if you could use herbal cigarettes in an act. Has anyone tried it? They are sold for smokers giving up, and don't contain tobacco so they don't have the risks of normal cigarettes.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
They aren't any healthier.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
With cigarettes having become socially incorrect (neo-prohibition), you may want to look at David Stone's "Quit Smoking" routine where he never succeed getting the lighter and the cigarette at the right place at the right moment. Based on Gregory Wilson's Recap (same idea with a pen and its cap), it's a great and very entertaining routine which win both smokers and ferocious anti-tobacco militants.

As to the books there was a Lewis Ganson (or possibly Ken Brooke) Teach In booklet on a continuous cigarette production but I did find one in Keith Clark's Encyclopedia which was using far more naturalistic movements. Lloyd also had a routine in a booklet...

One additional tip: most cigarette tricks can be performed with penknives (which we can no longer take along in a plane: neo-prohibition again... but it is also for out own good -isn't it always the case when sectarians impose their fears upon the rest of the population?)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Neil, Tom Mullica tips the it Nicotine Nincompoop routine on his set of expert cigarette magic volume 14. The series has MANY excellent cigarette routines, if you want to learn some really STRONG cigarette magic, you gotta check these out!

If your able to find a copy of his book (Showtime At The Tom-Foolery) he covers many cigarette effects in here as well. The book is OOP and VERY VERY hard to find,I'm very lucky as not only do I have a copy, but mine is signed as well. This is one of my most prized books!!!!

Eugene Burger has a few cig vanishes in his book "The performance of Close-Up Magic". You can also search out "Treasury of cigarette magic" by Tops, this is an older book, but has some real gems inside.

In my opinion, the most mind-blowing cigarette trick, I've ever seen or performed is available on the Stevens Bar Magic DVD and is performed by one of my all-time favorite magicians Scotty York. It's INCREDIBLE, the work isn't tipped on the DVD though, you'll have to invest in another DVD to learn to work on it, and on the DVD that gives you the inside work, the routine isn't performed...Go Figure. This NEVER fails to get jaw dropping GASPS from everyone everytime I do it. It is excellent. You can also find this trick in the Genii (July 1992) issue with David Harkey on the cover. It's titled "The Everyman Cigarette" in the issue. However I really recommend watching it!

Just remember to use good judgement on where and when to perform cigarette magic.
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
One of the performers in the Australian Institute of Magic Gala show did a cigarette routine, and he is very skilled with cigarette manipulation (Enzo Ficco). But the audience did not really breathe easy during the act, and you could feel that they weren't really comfortable with someone making cigarettes look magical.

I like the things that can be done with a small object such as a cigarette and the shape lends itself to being versatile with so many different vanishes available.

I have thought about rolling up notes but that has a whole other connotation, a lot worse!

I did a few "cigarette" tricks last night at a restaurant at a table full of kids. And that was only possible because there was a cup full of crayons on the table. And they were exactly the right size! Perfect!
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I forgot to mention: the Learned Pig Project website has a book on cigarette magic. Very very very good stuff.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Don't forget John Rodgers' wonderful wooden prop cigars and cigarettes! You can perform lots of routines without lighting up. Jaxon does a wonderful bit called 'Outsmokin'" where he can't light a cigarette because the filter tip always ends up by the match. Smile

http://www.woodencigars.com/
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I have one of Don Rogers cigarettes (out smokin) and its great! I get a lot of laughs with it.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1653 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Depends what you do really & how you do it with Cigs

I use 1 lit cig vanish routine in every cabaret/corp show I do-thats all I do as shows
and have done for over 20 years.

Part of the 90 sec routine includes me realising Ive stuffed up by lighting a cig indoors
- so with a bit flashpaper and a TT and a cig,some water in a wineglass then leading into a snowstorm-Ive always had many people
compliment the routine even non smokers but it plays so well!

I always get one person-usually some old Doris in the front row yelling -you cant smoke in here
but this plays perfect for the routine I do-timed to the second with music etc.....

Cheers Brent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Cigarette magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL