The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Kutztown = Carney,Gazzo,Williamson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I like to give the organizers two thumbs up as well. There were many fun moments and the David Williamson finale was one the funniest acts I have ever seen. Too bad I can't describe to anyone, you just had to be there.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I'd like to give two thumbs up and also the one from a Third Hand! It was a great show. The lectures and the close up were outstanding. I think a couple of the performers "took it easy" during the stage show, which had lots of improvised horseplay (and funny), but was a little light on Magic (referring to Williamson, who at one point told the audience, when a hula hoop skit didn't seem to have a finale . . . "I got no act."). Williamson's antics were hilarious in the close up and lecture, but to me, the stars of the stage show was Rocco (although Carney and Williams also "brought it" in the evening as well as the afternoon). Rocco's glittery productions to music were phenomenal. Williams, Carney, Gazzo, and the manically incomparable Williamson were great throughout the day, but seemed to be running at about 80 percent of capacity during the stage show. On the whole, it was a treat of great comedy magic, and the organizers did a fantastic job.
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Thank you guys for the kind words...

Todd and Mike do almost all of the upfront work throughout the year to make this convention happen. I got to talk to a lot of people yesterday (getting name tags for those of us working the convention might have been a bad idea) but I did not many complaints. The only thing I heard was about dinner being slow and we already have ideas to speed that up. Let us know if you have any constructive comments.

We had a GREAT turnout by the public for the evening show, probably had 500+ people? At one point, during dinner, I went out the front door and found about 100 people waiting to get in. So I did what any good magician would do, put on an impromptu show. I was joined by some of my fellow magi and we kept them entertained long enough to clean up dinner and let them in.

Thanks,
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
I'm sooooo tired but it was worth it. Unfortunately I really did not get a chance to watch much of anything except the evening show because of running around with doing stuff to help make it work but it was still worth it.

Great day. Turnout from public fantastic. Already some ideas to smooth out a few wrinkles which are going to happen when you are in a new venue, new caterer, a huge turnout.

Wheels already spinning on those. We appreciate all the nice comments and the constructive criticism.

And the last thing I would like to add is many thanks to those in the club and outside in to wives, children, etc. that helped in so many ways. Most people have seen my name up and Todd's name up on the Café, but the truth is quite a few people helped. Thank you.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I would also like to thank everyone for their kind words about trhe convention. It was a pleasure assiting the group in putting this togteher. This absolutely is a TEAM effort. There is no way one or 2 people could ever do it all. It woprks simnplky because of a dedicated staff of great people all chipping in to take control of different aspects of it. These people I call friends and I am so glad to know that every single one of them can be counted on to do what needs to be done.

I was amazed at the magicians turning out this year (almost double last years amount). I was also blown away with the amount of public turning oput for the evening performance. As ryan said, we had lines out the door, down the bloack and around the school. I was glad to be abloe to grab somne stuff and work the back of the line as Ryan and others worked the front.

I want to thank you all for coming out and shoiwng your support. This convention is for all of you and we strive to try and make it better every year.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I thought the guys did a great job on this convention. A few things I didn't care for were the dealers "hallway", the fact that you couldn't see everything, (always something going on, no down time) the lack of Mr. Mysto, (probably not their fault) and Gazzo, like Monty Python, I just don't get it. Really didn't care for him flipping off other crowds during the close-up show. Williamson was just fantastic, and I will say that Carney is the greatest sleight of hand worker today. The addition of the close-up room was cool, and had a great selection of some very talented workers.

All in all, a very good convention, especially for the price.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Here is my short review of the convention:

First, the new venue was fantastic. Plenty of room and great views from anywhere in the room. I hope the venue stays the same for next year.

As usual, Todd and the guys had a great line up of performers. I don't know how they do it all for $55.

David Williamson is one of my favorite magicians and I disagree with my new friend Mumblemore above. I thought it was brilliant on how David closed the show with 4 little kids on stage, a snare drum/cymbal, hoola hoop and Rocky Raccoon. It does appear that he is making this up as he goes along (I'm sure there were plenty impromptu moments), but he had a basic structured set and just went with the moment. I doubt that there are many entertainers, given the same props could turn that into the hilarity that I witnessed that night. David Williamson is definitely INSANE.

Marc Desouza, is a master when it comes to auctions and did a great job. I think it was more of a "sellers" auction with not many bargains. Time did run out and some people did not get to auction off their stuff.

The lectures were very good, but perhaps a bit rushed to stay on schedule.

I do agree with Pepka that maybe a new area is needed for the dealers.

I didn't get to enjoy the parlor room with Eric Jones and the other magicians/dealers that were in there as there was always something else going on. Maybe someone else can comment on how that went.

The last thing, perhaps a bit negative, is the food. It was not terrible...it was just OK. I know what you're thinking, why would anyone complain about food when you are paying $55 for all the magical talent/dealers and the food should be just a bonus. This is absolutely true, except I'm comparing it to last year. The meal last year was just like a home cooked Thanksgiving dinner, with people at long tables, sharing and passing bowls of food like one big family. The food at this convention was the "processed" type you may get at a typical low end diner.

That being said, I'm looking forward to next year with or with out food as it is a fantastic value and a great time to spend with friends.

Rich B.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Appreciate the comments so far. As far as too much or not enough that is always a tought act because everybody has a different opinion. I know I was very rushed and we always had something going on. A lot of people like that fact. Others wish there was more downtime, so it is always a question of where you draw the balance.

We will certainly look at those issues and others. We know it was not perfect, but felt with a new venue that was new to us, new caterer, a big evening crowd (never before happened), and other things, overall we are happy, but will try to address concerns and make it even better next year. You can count on that.

Thank you again to all who came out.

Mike
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Thanks for the comments. I thought the convention was great. We received a lot of great feedback.
I agree with some of the comments too.
What's funny is some people didn't like this.... and some people loved this....of the same thing or performer.
I had at least 10 people with in 2 minutes say they love having the dealers in the hallway cause they don't feel like they're bothering the lectures or auction. then 5 minutes after that I had 3 people say they wish the dealers were in the auditurium.
Then some people didn't like how long it took for there food and at the same time they said there was no down time????? huh????
Yes this convention is fast pace, and I plan on keeping that way. What is the difference of having two lectures than three. You don't have to see all the lecturers.
Then people complain about the wierdest things like the auction was to short, or I did not like the dessert, or it's crowded, or the other bathroom is too far away, or we ran out of soda after dinner when it was advertise we supply lunch not late snacks, or the best one I heard and this is two years in a row - do you know who I am, people invite me , I shouldn't have to pay. Let me tell ya something - I even pay for myself and I pay for my kids and they helped out. Nancey at the registration desk pays and she sits at that door all day.

I BUST my AZZ on this convention every year and I'm sick of the stupid complaints.
You got to witness four of the worlds greatest magicians on one stage and a dinner for $55 plus lectures, auction, flea market, chinese auction, close up show and DAVID WILLIAMSON taken the time through out the day to sit down with EVERYBODY and talk magic and teach magic. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR/??????
A lot of people don't know what goes on behind the scenes, like having a illusionist cancelling on us, or the microphone breaking back stage, or having 800 people you didn't know about showing up, or the catering people being understaff for a good reason,or what went wrong during Gazzo's act (I'll let him explain it if he wants, it would've been the funniest bit through the whole night.)or club members saying they'll help but when time comes up.........., or one of the main comittee members got dizzy and passed out, came back and still helped.

LIsten , I love criticism, I need it to make the convention better. I agree with Pepka and Rich B. that's why we left the Grange Hall. Could you imagine us at the Grange hall Grange this year??????
We grow and Grow every year it's a learning process. Sometimes we have to sacrifice one thing for another.
Would you guys want to eliminate the dinner???

Any ways I want to Give special thanks to some people who are not on the committee, Eric Jones (if you ever need anything call me), Chastian Criswell, David Williamson, Dan's wife, The guy from Pittsburgh helping with the tables ( I wish I knew your name)Amy and Corey (just running to the store for Rocco is an all day project), Rocco and Geoff Williams they know why, my kids for helping out this year (though I do have to pay them) and most important Kainoa Harbottle the most generous magician out there today. He drives from Delaware every year to help out and perform and always has to leave before the stage show (I'm in debt to you Kainoa)

Other than that it was the best convention.

Todd Kent

PS. wait until you see who I have for next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Mark you calendars now. Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010.

You won't want to miss it.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Great convention as always! Congrats to Todd and the crew for putting on a good one. I saw some old friends and met some new ones. I can't wait for next year. Todd always tops the previous year's convention. I can't wait for next year to see what's/who's lined up!!! I'll def be there!
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
thecardtrick
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
72 Posts

Profile of thecardtrick
I drove in from New Jersey for the evening show with my brother and nearly missed out on parking and seats.

I'm a huge fan of Rocco, Gazzo and David Williamson. I would have driven the 2 hours each way to see any one of them. But all three?

Awesome!

I'd just seen Rocco's routine on Masters of Illusion. Seeing it live was even more beautiful and captivating. No camera cuts. It's like he creates/finds himself in this real fantasy. Some gave him a standing ovation, and rightfully so.

I saw Gazzo work an audience, live.

I saw David Williamson pick a kid from the audience and then just make him lie on the stage for the next 10 minutes while he did a card trick for someone else. And I saw Rocky. That was a special moment for me. My brother, not a magician, said "They saved the best for last."

Geoff Williams was a real pro with a hysterical act. Handled mic problems so well it created some of the show's best moments, in my opinion.

And I enjoyed watching John Carney's cons unfold. I wish I was up close for that.

I also was glad to see the public take advantage of such an amazing opportunity.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Todd...after reading your post, I looked at what I wrote and it sounded a bit on the negative side. I hope most people did not take it that way.

I attend most lectures/conventions in the area and some national. The Kutztown Convention is the best 1 day convention I ever attended...hands down.

The food was a bit of a disappointment for me only because I was comparing it to the previous year in which it was spectacular. Having food at the convention is a great addition...I think everyone would agree.

If you're not thinking of attending next year...you will really be missing out on a fantastic time. I don't know who the performers will be next year...but I do know they will be top notch. They always are.

Rich B.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
TODD
Just between you and me. If you keep booking the first class talent that you have been booking at your convention you just may have to move it to the Souverign Center. At my dinner table there were magicians from all over the east coast to see the FOUR headliners that you booked.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Thanks for your comments everyone. They are constructive and helpful.

It's funny the things you remember. I had a few "bad apples" that complained about some of the dumbest things throughout the day. However I had MANY more people tell me we were doing a good job. We even had guys like Skootster (Scott) who drove from Pittsburgh by himself and ended up helping us move tables and chairs, and this was a guy none of us knew before that day. Thank you! The good out weigh the bad, as always. One of the things I got a chuckle out of is that all of the performers that have been there over the years have been the nicest people. You would suspect attitude from these guys, but instead we get it from "locals".

Thanks and hope to see everyone next year.
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Ryan said "One of the things I got a chuckle out of is that all of the performers that have been there over the years have been the nicest people. You would suspect attitude from these guys, but instead we get it from "locals".

This is so true, Williamson has to be the most down to earth magician along side Michael Finney that I ever met.
Geoff WZilliams is another great person. For him to put up with Tony for a whole day say's a lot about someone.
Really though, all five of those guys took the time to meet and greet every single person. It was awesome to participate in.

It was so great to watch Williamson grab his props from whatever was laying backstage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Kutztown = Carney,Gazzo,Williamson (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL