The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jokes are great and all, But.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I have noticed a trend recently here on the Café.

Someone posts a topic.

A few posts later someone uses wordplay to make a light-hearted joke. Everyone gets a kick out of it, and all is well.

But then,

only a few posts later, is the exact same wordplay posted by another member.

Why is this??

Do people not even read posts? Do they just read the topic, post a thought, and dart away to repost puns and jokes on other threads????

This happens with posted links too.

Perhaps someone has some insight?

(Cue the wordplaygerism)
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Jordini, around here people often don't read the posts. It's not just wordplay, it's just about any point that one might make. And it's not always on page 5 or 10, but sometimes two posts down.

Strange phenomenon, actually. People post in Internet forums without actually reading them. Kind of like flashing or something: the point is only to expose oneself and one's cleverness, but instead one only reveals one's shortcomings.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-06-06 01:09, Jordini wrote:
I have noticed a trend recently here on the Café.

Someone posts a topic.

A few posts later someone uses wordplay to make a light hearted joke. Everyone gets a kick out of it, and all is well.

BUT THEN

only a few posts later, is the exact same wordplay posted by another member.

Why is this??

Do people not even read posts? Do they just read the topic, post a thought, and dart away to repost puns and jokes on other threads????

This happens with posted links too.

Perhaps someone has some insight?

(Cue the wordplaygerism)

It's wordplaygerism, I tells ya!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Encouraging dolts and churls to speak does seem to manage most risks inherent in having a freedom of speech.

"Why yes dear child not only do you have a right to an opinion but also a civic duty to make sure everyone else knows that you are right and to argue with them until they see the light."
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I read the title of this thread and had to post. I disagree with you, that we should never joke.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I didn't read the title of this thread and posted voluntarily. I joke with you that we should never disagree.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

John, I have a term for your last post. I call it..."wordplaygerism". Smile

But seriously...

I tell my daughter, that she not only has a right to an opinion but also a duty to ensure everyone else knows that she is right and to stand up for herself until they see that she is right.

"Encouraging dolts and churls to speak does seem to manage most risks inherent in having a freedom of speech."
-Jonathan Townsend
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It's Gaddy's fault!!! He has his Café CENSORED from being exposed to some posters so he doesn't know what they already posted in the thread. It's all Gaddy and a San Franmessco conspiricy.

And for you to completely want to BAN ALL jokes and humor is ridiculous! Wait till Josh Superfluous gets here and posts!! He'll have someting to say!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
What really gets me is when someone posts a topic and then a few posts later someone uses wordplay to make a light-hearted joke. Everyone gets a kick out of it, and all is well.

And then,

only a few posts later, you see the exact same wordplay posted by another member.

Why is that??
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
"I can lick you!"--Tom Sawyer
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-06-07 19:16, Josh Riel wrote:
What really gets me is when someone posts a topic and then a few posts later someone uses wordplay to make a light-hearted joke. Everyone gets a kick out of it, and all is well.

And then,

only a few posts later, you see the exact same wordplay posted by another member.

Why is that??

It's called... Wordplaygerism! Smile

Higley hates that. I should send him a link to this thread.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I had to post
I disagree with you, that we should never joke.

And I read the title of this thread.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
If I can throw this out there:
Some of the topics get pretty big and I know that with my schedule (full time student with a lab tech job to boot) I sometimes only have time to skim the posts in a huge topic to get the gist of the convo. I don't know if others have this problem too, but it might help to explain some of it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Last time I'm checking this thread. With out Josh it is just superfluous and a time waster. Guess he's bycotting again.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast

And then,

Why is that??
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Cool? Try Stupid. Superfluous punkishness.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

If someone repeats a pun, Because they didn't read the thread, it should be called "wordplaygerism". Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lol, Josh. Wordplaygerism. Love it. BTW was Higley banned or something? Haven't seen him in a while.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-06-26 22:19, landmark wrote:
BTW was Higley banned or something? Haven't seen him in a while.

I dunno. Someone posted something about Oldman dying. Let's hope it wasn't him.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jokes are great and all, But.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL