The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dai Vernon top palm? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
That's all well and good...obviously we should use the best technique suited for a given effect.

But we're abstracting here and acting as though choosing the correct sleights for an effect(and corollary being the benefits of being able to perform a number of different sleights with different covers etc.) is the same thing as performing *A* sleight in mulitiple different ways. We're basically blurring the argument by likening the two situations despite the fact they're different.

Last I heard, you really shouldn't be doing DL in a number of different ways because we want our external actions to be consistent so the covers themselves don't draw suspicion. In the same vein, we should probably have one main way to do a Top Palm of the top card off the deck with two hands, where the deck stays oriented the same way, and the cover is squaring up after a dribble or a transfer of the deck from hand to hand. That's NOT the same as saying we should have only one way to palm the top card of the deck into right hand full palm.

This thread started as one argument and morphed/abstracted into a different one.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1163 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Engali, not sure if you are replying to my post or Lawrence O's, but I did not want to imply that you do two versions of the same sleight. Your example:
"Last I heard, you really shouldn't be doing DL in a number of different ways because we want our external actions to be consistent so the covers themselves don't draw suspicion. In the same vein, we should probably have one main way to do a Top Palm of the top card off the deck with two hands, where the deck stays oriented the same way, and the cover is squaring up after a dribble or a transfer of the deck from hand to hand. That's NOT the same as saying we should have only one way to palm the top card of the deck into right hand full palm."

To be clear, what I was saying is not that you should have different two-handed top palms, not at all. I didn't lobby for any particular handling. I offered some clarification from the text's in question. I was suggesting that you could also pursue the one-handed top palm. That is an entirely different sleight. The DL example is not the same thing. I don't totally agree that all of your DL's should be uniform. Sometimes you might wish to do a turnover, sometimes you might prefer plucking the card off of the deck and holding it aloft so that a larger group can actually see it. Depends on your forum.

"This thread started as one argument and morphed/abstracted into a different one."

Who's arguing? That's the problem with so many of these forums. If your meaning of the word is to "make a statement" as in, "he argued that..." then o.k., I get it. But I am not being argumentative. People can offer tips, insights, variations without being argumentative, can't they?

And as far as morphing into other arguments, isn't that the beauty of these forums? Oftentimes the morphing is more entertaining than the original issue. At least for me. To each his own.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Yes, by "argument" I meant an exchange of ideas or an assertion that's being supported or questioned...not that there was an out-and-out fight happening.

I wasn't really replying directly to either you or lawrence. It was a commentary on the direction this thread took. At times this can be helpful. The focus of this particular thread was about the way to perform Topping the Deck and the nuances of that. It turned into a discussion of what other palms would be possible, through the abstraction I mentioned, by questioning the appropriateness of Topping the Deck for any given effect. Since the thread never really had anything to do with how good of a fit Topping the Deck was for any or all effects, but rather the mechanics of how its best performed, it seemed to me that the topic in questioon got lost. While you may find that beautiful, I find it(in the most respectful way possible) irrelevant to what this discussion was about in the first place. I was pointing that out to get this thread back on topic, but here we are discussing the intention behind my last post. Oh well.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1163 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Cool, that's what we should all be about, exchanging ideas!

Have a great day.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dai Vernon top palm? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL