The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which peanut butter and jelly? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm working on a new educational show and peanut butter and jelly would be a good effect to teach one of the lessons, but I have no idea who makes a good one. Any suggestions where and which one to purchase? I want to be able to have the sandwich appear at the end. (Does anyone have suggestions to create a fake sandwich by the way?) Thanks!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2220 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
The original by Timothy Wenk ! I believe he is the original creator also!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Try http://www.daverisley.com

He has the best one I've seen. It comes with the jelly jars and is far better than the original one put out by Wink.

Here is his discription: A brand new and exciting version of the classic Peanut Butter & Jelly Trick! At your command, the peanut butter switches sides with the jelly and vice versa. This new version is a vast improvement over the original!! Includes instructions, extra ideas, and The Riz's original routine.

$83.00
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Todd75,

How is it a "vast improvement over the original?"
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
http://www.fabmagic.com Also puts out a really nice PB&J and with their version you DO NOT have to worry about the containers sticking. It is around $ 60.00 plus shipping.

Rod
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Vast improvement over the original is what he has on his website! I can tell you that the containers don't stick and you can show the containers empty.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I also use the fab magic peantut butter and jelly effect and I highly recommend it.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3722 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've only owned the original Timothy Wenk/Metempirical Magic version and it's fantastic. You won't want to leave the covers in the heat, but the peanut butter jar is VERY realistic-looking.

Steve
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
I vote for the Timothy Wenk version also.

PB&J is one of my favorite effects. Many years ago I tried using a "fake" sandwich for about six shows. The heat is on that sandwich when it appears. If they determine it to be fake sandwich your busted. I find making a real PB&J sandwich well worth the effort.

Good luck!
DeWayne
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2776 Posts

Profile of John Long
Have you considered making your own out of whatever containers fit your theme?

The basic idea is in Tarbell
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 18:21, John Long wrote:

looking...looking...looking...
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
One thing to conside is the tops on the PB jjar. My one ($45 from Steve Harmer) has a loose top that I need to reglue. I catch it each time I do the illusion. But it is 46 degrees celsius here (nearly 120 degrees f)

I like the fact that I can buy jam anywhere I go in the world so use the inside of the PB jars to store my snake cans et al.

But also consider if your venue allows PB illusions.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2776 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 20:30, stempleton wrote:
Quote:

The Wandering Glass and Bottle; V8 p250
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
I made mine, it is a slightly different method, in which the PB and jelly are both proven to be real, by taking PB out of the PB, and jelly out of the jelly. If you're interested, PM me.

Matt
Matt Simonsen
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
500 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I purchased a PBJ set at an auction over a year ago and have only used it twice in live shows. Though it is an excellent kids' show effect and routine, I have constant problems with it because the covers, or rubber sleeves, aren't much larger than the PB jars themselves and cause a suction to take place, making it at times impossible to do.

I've tried stretching the covers, baby powder, and plastic explosives to try to make it work (just kidding about the explosives). I've also punched small holes in the top to help prevent the suction from taking place. I tried reviving an old thread on this topic, but I hope no one minds if I insert this here. I'm of the mind that there is no way really to fix this, except to either make my own covers or purchase a new set. Since I bought it at an auction (and it was practically brand new), I can't really tell who the maker or distributor was. The jars say "Peanut Butter Creamy" on them. I suppose I might suggest to JamesinLA that he avoid this particular looking brand, because it appears to be a knock-off to the original.

I want to begin using this prop again, because like many others, I love the routine and the kids love it. I just can't take chances with not having much control over it. It is extremely frustrating.

Anyone have any suggestions or know something that can make this work?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, everyone. Thanks, Curtis. That is the type of info I need to make sure I get one that works.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2009-06-11 18:37, John Long wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 20:30, stempleton wrote:
Quote:

The Wandering Glass and Bottle; V8 p250

Thanks, John...must've "passe"d over it Smile
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I also use Dave Risley's version. Because the canisters are not rubber, they don't stick. The jelly jar is a real jar, the PB jar certainly looks like one. The version I bought from Dave a few years ago at Kidabra uses Peter Pan peanut butter, which gives me the opportunity to ask the kids if they know anything about Peter Pan. You get a ton of answers and someone invariably says "He can fly." Which leads me to the astounding fact that "So can Peter Pan peanut butter. It can fly" and then I do the routine. After a couple of years, the decorative strip around the top of the canisters became a bit frayed, but it was easy to get a strip of decorative foil from a craft shop and recover it. I highly recommend Dave's PB&J.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
Another great thing about Dave's PB&J is that the can first shown with the PB is brown and the can first shown with the Jelly is purple. This makes it much easier for kids to notice that something magical actually happened. When you have two black covers it is a bit more difficult.

Not a major thing, but if you are making a list of pros and cons, this one should be on the list.

--Julian Franklin
Behavior Change Expert
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
I like the Peter Pan idea!

Matt
Matt Simonsen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which peanut butter and jelly? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL