The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to gamble and win...?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Edward Cutting
View Profile
New user
I only have a measly
42 Posts

Profile of Edward Cutting
Good evening fellow fellows,

As a Masters student, I don't have much free time in which to perform. Therefore, in order to keep myself sharp in this craft and to help improve my performing in difficult conditions, I've decided to give busking a run for its money during the summer holidays. Also, the bit of extra cash can help feed my currently inappropriately sleeping cat. I've put together an act of about 20 minutes filled with effects I'm confident will please the hard to please public, as I've learnt from many of the busking threads here. I have one semi-new effect I'm trying to perform and I am having a bit of difficulty in putting the first part together.

The effect is this: There are two envelopes, one containing a $20 note and the other a piece of paper upon which "Sorry!" is written. A spectator is asked to choose one envelope and allowed to change his mind before he makes his final decision. At this point the envelopes are opened and lo-and-behold, he has lost. I give him a chance to till win the money by playing a little gambling game with me; here I perform a quick two minute gambling routine that has, as of yet, not let me down, except that one time when the watery defecation of a pigeon landed squarely on my spectator's forehead and I chose to give him the money for his spot of trouble. Bloody pigeons. Finally, I end with a prediction that is pretends that everything before-hand was not free will but "behavioral control" (we all have unoriginal moments, I'm afraid).

I am having difficulty with the first part of the effect, the envelopes. I have looked at various gimmicked envelopes, including the wonderful ideas of Mr. Leveridge... and I fully admit that what I know of his envelopes is just guesswork from watching videos as I have not purchased his book... but nothing seems to work that fits the following criteria:

1) I can control whether the spectator wins or loses, or at least ensures that they always lose that first bit;
2) They can open the envelopes they choose by themselves, with no tomfoolery on my part... although I am allowed to fiddle with my envelope;
3) There is no switch of envelopes as this is done in the round, on a crowded street;
4) The envelopes are held by two of those triangular paper-clips on separate sides on a poorly carved, DIY easel, for which I should probably just buy one of those "break-me-down" metal ones. Excuse me while I visit eBay.

Anyways, If anyone has any thoughts on how to accomplish this or any suggestions or any references to where I might find something that will help either directly or through adaptation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks be to you and yours,

Edward Cutting
Chris Bruce
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Chris Bruce
You should check out Ted Lesley's envelope from Paramiracles; they would be able to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Chris
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi Edward,

Ungimmicked envelopes and a TT would be an efficient way to go. Gives the specky total freedom to swap envelopes and can be done in the round without any problem.

Cheers Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi Edward,

A TT would be an efficient way to go. Gives the specky total freedom to swap envelopes and can be done in the round without any problem.

Cheers Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Edward Cutting
View Profile
New user
I only have a measly
42 Posts

Profile of Edward Cutting
Thank you both for the suggestion. I spoke with a friend who has Paramiracles and he's agreed to sell it to me for a small fortune totaling 15 dollar. I've taken a look inside the book at the envelope and it seems that the Teleport Envelope is possibly the way to go.

Sealegs, I've definitely thought of the TT, but the presentation would suffer if I worked that in for doing the switch... although... hmm.... an idea has come to me. I'll run with it for a mile or two and see if it works.

Thanks again,

Edward CUtting
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Larry Beckers two way envelope is worth a good look at , its working is simple ,the effect praisworthy to say the very least .
Mark
E.O.I
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Corinda has a method in 13 steps as well.
luxor07
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of luxor07
Edward, based on your criteria, it sounds like the Teleport Envelope is the way to go. Let us know how you make out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to gamble and win...?! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL