The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First paying show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
Hey guys I have been asked to do a party for a company about this time next year. This would be my first paid show. I have been doing magic for about a year now and I am 13 almost 14 years old. This show is mainly aimed at kids. Though I am a kid I am not that great at coming up with things like this and need a little help.

First of all I have seen some magicians perform a 30 min routine with just a thumb tip a shoe a silk and toilet paper. It amazed me how you can have just 1 simple thing and stretch it out to make it like your whole routine.

Could you guys help me figure out a decent kid friendly comedy routine. The stage tricks that I have is cups and balls, sponge balls, change bag, magic silk blendo, magic coloring book, a trick where you have an empty bag and pull out 3 boxes with flowers from it, thumb tips, silk, a trick where you have 3 giant cards ace of spades ace of diamonds and ace of hearts. I have a cloth thing and say I will make the ace of diamonds disappear and pull out the other 2 aces. So then I say it disappeared but you can still see a card hanging out. I pull it out and says wrong. Turn it around and it says wrong again. And any additional household props. Your help would be greatly appreciated and a congratulations on my first paid show would be nice too! I have seen cards used for stage magic before. But I don't know if that's the greatest.

Thanks for all your help, Shaun

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 11:20pm
Also, for those people that use sponge balls, do you dampen the balls before use for better performance?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It is a matter of preference, some prefer them to be totally dry, others dampen them slightly and squeeze them out very well. I always prefer dry ones. I used damp ones for a while, but then I realized when I put them in other peoples hands and they were even just slightly damp they always gave a bad facial reaction.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
Okay thanks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
When it comes to wet sponge balls, I would never use one in a show. The real reason for wetting sponge balls is to cause them to return to their proper shape after being crushed in storage.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 08:21, Bob Sanders wrote:
When it comes to wet sponge balls, I would never use one in a show. The real reason for wetting sponge balls is to cause them to return to their proper shape after being crushed in storage.

I would agree with Bob here, this is the only time I have done this. Sponge balls of different quality tend to hold their shape better than others. But is usually your older sets that are in your pocket that will eventually lose their shape.) A small amount of water usually make them look nice. Jay Scott Berry (spelling? recommended a small spritzer bottle you keep on you and lightly spray them to bring them back to shape. I would never put a wet sponge in someone else's hand through.

As far as material for your show, you have a full year to prepare which is awesome, but you should post this in the "Little Darlings" section where it focused on this type of show. It looks like you have the props to do some stuff but I will wait for the pro's to chime in...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
Try to get Jozo Bozo's DVD or Terry Herbert - The herbert way, you will see some very nice examples of using change bag
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First paying show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL