The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torched and Restored (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
wu tang
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC Canada
54 Posts

Profile of wu tang
I was wondering what you guys think of torched and restored? What are the pros and cons? I would appreciate a review. Is this better than the other T&R routines?
Thank you Smile
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I think that there are much better versions of the torn and restored card. If it works for Brent Braun great, but the routine was not great for me. I thought it was not as magical as some versions and it was really nothing special. Some that I would recommend are...

"The Reformation" available in Guy Hollingworth's book "Drawing Room Deceptions"
"The Reparation" from John Lovick which is on video
"Warped and Restored" by Vinny Marini (vinsmagic here on the Café)

Just to name a few of the greats for you to look at....

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Do a search here in The Magic Café for torched and restored. There was already a much detailed discussion of it here. And a review was previously done.

I have at least six different torn and restored card routines, (and just picked up another today) although like most workers, I use one primarily (my first one learned -Reparation - with my own adjustment and fine points). But I find that learning others help refine my handling and presentation of my primary effect, and makes it more finished and helps me make those fine point adjustments.

Which one is the best? The one that works best for you. Do you want one piece at a time resto, or flash resto? What do you need for your act? Torched and Restored is different from the others and uses fire, (A lighter). Is it better than the others? That depends...

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
IMHO Torched And Restored is a great version of the T&R. I prefer an instant restoration, rather than doing it piece by piece, and it is not necessary to use a lighter, as a glue stick can be used as a magic wand. Another version I like is Sankey's Cardboard Contortionists.

Cheers,
Harv
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
I agree that Torched & Restored may not be the best handling for all people. The routine was developed with one major thought in mind.
Making the whole process look as natural as possible. From the tearing to the restoration, I tried to remove all unnatural moments that seem to exist in all other versions. Ie "cramped fingers, hiding pieces behind the fingers, overly handling the pieces, having the card leave the spectators sight before the tearing begins".
I personally feel that the strength in Torched & Restored is the fact that the spectators really believe that the card has been torn, because the hands are seen to hold only one card and that card simply does not leave their sight before the tearing begins. The tearing sequence is pretty straight and to the point. Unlike most other methods.
If you are looking for a piece by piece restoration Torch & Restored wont fit the bill, But it will hopefull inspire you to make the piece by piece version you do now look more natural and less like a prison bus full of one legged nuns! Smile
Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Quote:
On 2003-05-24 23:35, Andrew E. Miller wrote:
Some that I would recommend are...

"Warped and Restored" by Vinny Marini (vinsmagic here on the Café)

Watch for a special release by Vinny soon! You guys will finally learn his EXCELLENT Top Gun control.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
JC33
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of JC33
I like Torched and Restored. It is very easy and magical. The effect is very strong on lay people.
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
I can't wait for Vinny to release his control.
This is exactly the effect I heard so much about. I sent Vinny a PM and he confirmed what charlie C said,

Lo- Key
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
For those that have Torched, I will make a small recomendation that might make it even more magical. Sign the back of the first card. Then after the card is selected, sign the back of the duplicate in the same way the first card was signed. This may have already been recommended, maybe not. In my opinion it makes it stronger.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Dr. Bombay
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Dr. Bombay
Andrew, have you ever seen David Eldridge's version? It's pretty spectacular.
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Quote:
On 2003-05-25 09:33, Harv wrote:
..... and it is not necessary to use a lighter, as a glue stick can be used as a magic wand.

Cheers,
Harv

I think Brent has created a fantastic routine for strolling. For parlor there are other great methods but for walk around, this IMO, is the best. I wouldn't recommend switching the glue stick for the lighter since restoration after burning a card is a much stronger effect.
Just an opinion
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Torched and Restored IS ONE OF THE BEST ! Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
297 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
I like the visual impact it leaves as well as its simplicity. I prefer it over Ripped and Restored and other piece by piece restoration effects. JMHO.
The Thaumaturge
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of The Thaumaturge
Lo-Key,

I can't wait to see it either,

Looks like you can.."fool all of the people all of the time" after all. Smile Smile

thaum
guccimagic
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of guccimagic
I think Torched and Restored is a great routine of the torn and restored card. You have to remember, you are performing for the layman they could care less about fancy handling of each piece they just want the card torn apart and put back together.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Torched and Restored is awesome. A piece by piece restoration may be more visual during the restoration...but there is no cleaner version out there during the tearing process. Your hands are show completely empty while tearing. If your audience did not think that you actually ripped the card in quarters... your doing something wrong.

Also, this can be done from table to table with a FREE choice of a card by the spectator. The set up is done at home and your are ready to work all night without worring about matching duplicates.

After the card is signed, I also sign the back and say..."so you can remember who performed this miracle for you, I'm going to sign my name on the back". Of course they see your signature being torn...very convincing...especially with open hands.

To me this method can't be beat. This is the best purchase I made in 2002.

Rich B.
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
I agree with Rich. The only time I will do a piece by piece is at a close-up show. Otherwise I will do Torched and Restored for strolling gigs or for anyone that has time for one trick when I'm just out and about. Brent, this is an awesome effect!
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I agree that Torched and Restored is a no nonsense, direct restoration effect. Good work. Smile
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Torched & Restored is an excellent effect I am 100% satisfied with this effect & with my handling I can do it totally impromptu. Trust me you will not be disappointed.
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Torched and Restored kicks, but some may not like it because they can't do it well...
I say just practice more. Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torched and Restored (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL