The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How are you using "Happy Birthday Silks"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As the magicians' silk importer, I am aware that "Happy Birthday" silks stay very much in demand. However, as a stage performer, I rarely see a magic birthday party.

From sales, I know that 18" and 36" silks are about equal in sales. I also know that most of the professional birthday party magicians use our 18" 20th Century Silk with the "Happy Birthday" silk in the center. I don't know how.

My real question is "How are you using these in birthday party shows?" Are they production items or components of other tricks and routines? Are they used in photo opportunities at the birthday party? Do you autograph them and give them away. (I do this with "Thank You" silks in corporate magic.)

Do you feel that the talent buyer expects a "Happy Birthday" graphic message in your show?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
I've never used a "Happy Birthday" silk, but I suppose if you can get them in 18" and are thin enough, I'd produce it with an extra large TT and use it as a photo op.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
710 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Hi Bob,

I use my Happy Birthday Silk as part of a routine. The effect is marketed by Jef Eaton and called "Comedy Carton" and it's great for audience participation. Before, I also use a 36" Happy Birthday Silk for production purposes.

Chubster / Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I use them in a change bag blendo routine. I use 18 inch graphic silks and 12 inch colored silks.

Yes, I find that people expect you to do a routine with the birthday child.
-Matt
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is interesting. To me, if I were doing it as a production I would go for the 36" silk. Perhaps it would come from a Crystal Silk Cylinder, Square Circle or change bag.

I can see how using 12" silks to make an 18" graphic silk as a blendo effect makes sense.

It also seems to me that the Kodak moment with the birthday child would be expected. (And even good promotion!)

How else do you use them?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have a set of matching 18" silks that come from India, with the Ed Harris artwork on them. One silk is B&W, the other is colour. They have the words "Happy Birthday" on them, along with a drawing of a birthday cake and a couple of rabbits.

I do a blendo / mismade type of routine. I pull out four 18" silks (blue, red, yellow, green), then show the B&W picture silk. These five silks are given to volunteers to hold (the one child helping me, and four of the children sitting in the audience).

After some comedy byplay, the silks go in to the bag. The volunteer says some magic words, and out comes the colour silk. All of the other silks have vanished.

At that moment of displaying the coloured "Happy Birthday" silk, usually the parents are snapping a photo.

Also, I generally have the birthday child help me with a different trick, earlier in the show.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I got an 18" Indian Happy Birthday silk and matched it with a mirrored casket. I use it at the start of shows and also fo photo-opportunities. I considered giving it away but the parents I asked about this wanted the magic to continue, they thought it would be magical to their birthday child if I took all of the magic stuff away with me. Just leaving happy memories.

Now looking at larger silks for a blendo effect to do inside larger venues.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Hi Bob,

I am using the silk as a production to create a Kodak moment with the birthday girl or boy. The only purpose is to let them make a picture from me with the child. And hopefully they remember me when they want to book a magician.

A big silk that is as big as the child would be the funniest.

my best,
Ronald
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Bob: I produce an 18" Happy Birthday silk at the end of my opening routine, all done to music. The first move is color changing silks, then I do a version of Duane Laflin's multiple TT routine vanishing two different colored silks and then pushing a third into a dye-tube and pulling out the three silks tied together. I then push the three tied silks and the color-changing silks into a mirrored cylinder with two chambers -- the HB silk on one side -- tap it with the magic wand, throw it in the air with a little spin and pull out the Happy Birthday silk as the music comes to an end. Take a bow and hope for the applause (which usually comes if there are parents in the room.) I also usually wait for the parent to take a photo of me holding the HB silk. It was good seeing you at Ring 50's Magi-Whirl again this year.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
I've used a Happy Birthday silk as the load inside the glass of the Egg on Head routine. I would crack a (blown) egg into the can, place the card on top, turn it upside down, and place the can on the child's head. I tell the child that by thinking very hard, heat will pass from his head into the can, cooking the egg. When I "accidently" pull the card out from under the can, I've noticed that many children pull the can down harder on their head. I always warn the child not to do that, if they aren't careful the can will cut a circle out of their hair and it will never grow back - (I bend over pointing to my bald spot) see? I comment that I noticed some of the fathers in the audience must have done the same thing when they were children. After getting the can off the child's head, I show that the glass has a (fake) fried egg inside, but there's something else. I say that it will show what the child was thinking so hard about. We all say the magic words, I pull the silk out, and show that the child was thinking about having a very happy birthday.

Hmm, I haven't used this in years, maybe it's time to get it back out. I think I hated blowing out the egg.

Tate
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
359 Posts

Profile of magicone
I use mine in a production from my hat along with other items that aren't the rabbit we are actually looking for.

I don't know the maker of mine (it's old) and I've only ever seen two of them and I bought them both. They are really cute with two rabbits, cake and happy birthday message.

Click here to view attached image.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I use it in my Crystal silk Cylinder. It is an opener to the show and a part of the larger opener. 3 18 inch silks are produced and placed in and then the switch to the large 36" silk. It always gets a great reaction and is fun and colorful magic for the kids.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I use mine to mop up the coke that inevitably spills in my case after doing the airborne coke bottle routine.

:)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I will be using a "Happy Birthday" silk in a performance at grandson Qua-Fiki's birthday party next Saturday. He never saw me perform Fred Johansen's "Mongolian Silk Mystery" and began asking me lots of questions about it when I recently published it on The Magic Nook in the Mini-Mysteries Section. So I will surprise him by performing the Mongolian Silk effect at his birthday, and end the routine by blending the four dyed color silks into a 36 inch "Happy Birthday" silk (as described in the e-Book). After the show, I will make him a present of the silk which he needs because his own birthday show business is picking up, and will also give him the e-Book so he can use the same routine, if he wants to. In about a week, I am sure he will bounce back to me with his new "improvements" for the old trick.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
444 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I stuff mine in a plastic egg and after I produce my bird from a dove pan I have the egg palmed and then with my bird on my finger I drop the egg like as if the bird just layed it.I say "Oh he has a message for you" and pull the silk out and show it says Happy Birthday.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13365 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ending for my comedy change bag routine with the birthday kid
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Great uses! They do make a difference to the guests, birthday person and the family (also making pictures). Once the public is aware of them, they are expected.

Do you ever use the 18" size as a personalized birthday card for the birthday person? All it takes is the 18" and a Sharpie. They will keep it forever! (It even works at the office and nursing home.)

For other shows, I often use the Thank You! silk this way. (It makes the phone ring!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Larry,

I hope the statute of limitations will be up and I can come back to Magi-Whirl next year. We'll need a note from home from Bob Patterson and Mike. LOL

How are you going to top having Jeff McBride in 2009?

BTW: Ring 50 has a great newsletter on the web. I wish my Ring (35) had something like that.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How are you using "Happy Birthday Silks"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL