The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 1922 Liberty Silver dollar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The other day I went to see Henry Mayol's new shop in Paris. Along the discussion came the question of magnetic coins. Henry asked me to wait for a second and showed me that a 1922 Liberty Dollar could be attracted by a magnet. Is this exceptional (gaffed without us knowing the source) or is it true with every 1922 Silber Liberty Dollars?

Get to your magnet guys: if it gets confirmed that this is standard it opens many possibilities (like hanging a magnet against our ribs inside our jacket or T-shirt and using it as hold out for such coins).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
782 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Great info. Thanks Lawrence.Smile
Close up coin magic.
Check us out on Facebook under , Copper Silver coins by PT
Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
It must have been gimmicked. 1922 Peace Dollars are not attracted by a magnet, they're 90% silver, just like all the other silver dollars of the time.
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
The Chinese are actively producing counterfeit collector's silver coins. Not wanting to spend the money to cast them in real silver, they're using a ferro-magnetic metal blend. So if your supposedly silver 1922 Liberty dollar is attracted to a magnet, you've purchased a worthless fake. These are not gaffed, per se, only graft.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2009-06-10 01:30, The Wizard of Hearts wrote:
you've purchased a worthless fake.

Maybe not so worthless after all.
Wes
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
The only magnetic materials are iron, cobalt, nickel, and gadolinium.

And unfortunately, real Peace Dollars (1921-1928) are 90% silver, 10% copper.
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Wes65 -- Unfortunately, the coins are NOT being sold as "copy" coins, and thus have no mark on the coin stating such, which makes them counterfeit--the possession of which can get you in trouble with law enforcement. Look at it another way, the Chinese (and others) are attempting to dump literally millions of fake coins on the market. Do you know what affect that will have on numismatists? What if I told you some of the metal they use in those coins was radioactive? Would you still be as anxious to save yourself a small amount of money and support these thieves? Think about that the next time you carry a few of those coins next to your family jewels.

Have I gotten your attention yet? Well, as far as I know, they aren't using radioactive metal...yet. There was an instance a few years ago in India about "cheap" gold rings that were made from radioactive gold. But think about what they could put in these coins. Poisonous metals -- mercury amalgams, beryllium, you-name-it. If the price is right, they'll use it. They've already poisoned baby formula with toxic fillers, and used lead paint on children's toys.

But the main point I want to make is that these criminals will only succeed if they find a market for their unscrupulous wares. If you acquire these coins, no matter how innocent the reason, you're causing two things to happen. First, you support these evil ***s. And second, you're not supporting our own magic coin gaffers who go out of their way to insure you get the "real" goods, expertly crafted. If by your lack of patronization you drive these artists out of business, magic will be all the worse for it. And that, too, would be a crime.

You can read more about the counterfeiting operation here:
http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/......ting.htm
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
461 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
Dear Lawrence,

What material is this coin ?
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I saw at a magic shop a magnetic Morgan Silver Dollar. Actually, I don't know if they were actually magnetic or whether they were attracted to magnets. The quality was really good, they were a little light (just an impression) and they were $20. The regular Morgans were $25. I couldn't figure out why a gaffed coin would cost less, figuring that you couldn't remove enough silver from the coin to make up for the machining cost.

It looks like they could some of these copies...
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
I live in southeast asia. I can confirm. I see many many small shops selling morgan, peace dollars and other coins from before the 1900's, all magnetic.

whats even more tricky is that they make a similar ping when bumped together.

the vendors don't know waht they are. all they know is that sometimes a westerner comes by and gets excited over them and buys a bunch. whats even worse are the westerners who buy them knowing they are fake and selling them back to people who don't know any better.

lets look onthe bright side of things, they are magnetic, which open a range of possibilities

peace from the southeast

nick wiszynski
nickwmagic.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
To answer Mr Tango, the coin really looks like a sterling silver worn coin but I didn't ask what they were actually made from.

Now, after research with a numismatist, The Wizard of Hearts is right on the fact that it's a graft. According to this numismatist, these coins are not radioactive nor made of dangerous alloys. Even though I have seen only one, it seems that there are many such coins wearing the 1922 date.

These coins are very convenient gaffs and magicians should not be really weary of legal aspects for all our gaffs are actually potentially illegal since the legal criteria are precisely about whether these coins can be potentially confusing: the potential use is irrelevant and judges do not have to know if it's a graft or a gaff. Yet no magician has been (to my knowledge) embarrassed by legal authorities, even in Japan where the financial authorities are fairly touchy on counterfeiting and defacing.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Well, it's settled then. Lorry has given his blessing and his legal opinion that you don't have to be "tired" of any legal aspects of carrying counterfeit coins. Neither will your privates fall off nor will you poison yourself because we've had all the coins checked by Lorry's numismatist.

So, let us all run out to our local Chinese counterfeit shop and buy handfuls of magnetic "grafts". The economy of China is depending on you. So long as you're not spending your precious dollars and francs buying world-class gaffs from Todd Lassen, you should be OK. Lorry says so. After all, these coins are very convenient gaffs.

You said it, brother!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » 1922 Liberty Silver dollar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL