The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls QUESTION! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
themagickeeper
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
55 Posts

Profile of themagickeeper
Hey Guys this is a two part question:

One, I have been using an awful set of metsl cups for the past year and am ready for an upgrade but I can't buy sherwoods or porper's or anything like that because my budget is under $250. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to which cups I should get? I want something with some weight so I think copper/brass would be my best bet. I also perform a stacking phase, so there needs to be enought room between the cups for at least one ball without the cups stacking weirdly. I really need some help as to where I should look because I am very lost with all the options out there.

My second question is what type of wand I should get to replace my old one for this routine. I would like to buy something under $75. I know most wands have wood shafts, but for this routine do you guys like/suggest metal tips or a wood tipped wand. I also do wand spins so weight is important and I would like something that is at least 14". I've been performing magic for quite a while but have NO idea where to go in the specified field of cups and balls. Please help?

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 10:34am
Also, my final loads are not huge like baseballs or anything but I would like a cup that can at least hold a moderate size final load. Depending on the venue and what routine I put it with sometimes I use plastic fruit and sometimes a smaller sized billiard ball.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
You might try looking here.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
That site is a must. You won't get prices from it, however. So you won't know what's in your budget. Here's a nice set of cups for sale that I would jump on if I needed yet another set of cups:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&2

Check this area regularly, a lot of people throw out some great deals. Heck, you may even find a set of Johnsons on there for something in or around your budget.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
8thking
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of 8thking
The link wont work?
edit. doesn't matter I know why now I need 50 posts
Jesus is alive:
Living proof you can’t keep a God man down
themagickeeper
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
55 Posts

Profile of themagickeeper
8thking: As new users, we have to get 50+ posts before we are allowed to enter the buy/sell area.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Oh yeah... My apologies, forgot about that one.
Eddie Ivan Torres
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
In the past few months there have been some great pricing on used Cups. If you can’t get into the for sale sections here you might want to check out the Genii Forums or listings at CupsCon.

Do visit the Cups and Balls Museum as suggested and do some searches here at The Magic Café.

In your price range or lower, I have seen Johnson Brass Cups which are great and many RNT2 Cups such as Squatty 2, PF and Monti Cups.

Good luck with your quest and if you catch Cup Fever there is no cure.

Take care,
Bruce
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Hey Bruce! How goes it? I've got to get back on cupscon...
Eddie Ivan Torres
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
As Bruce says, don't catch that cup fever or you'll become the Dorian Gray of the cup world...

I have so many cups that they are destined to stay young forever and about 3 sets of real workers that I actually use all the time....
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hey Eddie… I am doing well thanks for asking. I hope all is well for you.

Bruce
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
Well of course it depends on your load sizes, and what you find aesthetically pleasing.

Once you get enough posts, definitely check the tricks for sale section. Until then I would also look on that one big famous auction site--right now there is a set of copper Pheonix cups that comes with a wand. Those would do you nicely, and fit your budget. You could also check here: http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/sho......lose-ups

Morrissey and Bazar de Magia also make serviceable cups for extremely cheap.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Funny you should say that Ethan, I have had my Morrisey cups for around 16 - 17 years and I still go back to them often...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Morrissey cups from 17 years ago were much better than the current crop.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jamie_H
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
65 Posts

Profile of Jamie_H
Michael Ammar's Mercury Wand is very nice...and within your budget, however its 13.5".
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
A wand with some weight to it does help a little with the wand spin, but not to say you can't do a wand spin with a lighter wand. I do the wand spin vanish using a plastic wand.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I think this is a great wand for $16. It is made of beautiful hardwood with heavy brass tips.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=537

It is weighted perfectly for wand spins. Just don't drop it on your toes! I get a lot of compliments on the wand.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have had several of those Penguin/Magic Makers wands. If you get a good one, they are okay. However, I have seen several of them that when they were screwed together were not straight. You can tell if a wand is straight by rolling it along a level surface.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I must have gotten a good one Bill. Mine is as straight as an arrow (I'm rolling it as I type).

:)
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Other than my Sherwoods, my favorite cups are by Jim Riser. His Standard cups are right around $250 I think. http://www.jamesriser.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I have the Penguin wand as well. It is actually turned brass stock covered with a VERY THIN Wood Veneer. Drop it and that veneer will spilt. Mine did.
I like the length and weight so I cut wood grained contact paper to the correct width and rolled it around the wand until I got the correct thickness.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls QUESTION! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL