We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Best Impromptu Ultra Mental (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Michael Close's handling is indeed excellent but the "extra something" Michael uses with an ungaffed deck is a tool I don't use.

If I were to feature the routine professionally, I'd go with my own handling, plus the "extra" that Close uses, plus Darwin's idea from At The Card Table. That would give me the most natural ungaffed handling, the quickest access to the selected card, and the perfect critical interval (move done before the effect starts).
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2600 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
The OP's question was in regards to an impromptu working of the effect. As wsduncan points out, Close's handling is not impromptu. Here are a couple of other effects that are along the same line where the deck never goes out of sight.

They are both in Art of Astonishment vol. 1. The first is called 'Think A Card'. Effect: Fan through the cards and spec mentally picks one. You fan them in front of you and upjog a single card. Spec announces the card you show the upjogged card to be their mental selection. Effect is simple. Method will take quite a bit of work. The second is by Ray Kosby called 'Deep Thought'. It's an extension to the 'Think a Card' idea where the spec can name any card and you've picked it correctly. This one is significantly more difficult than 'Think A Card' (which isn't easy itself).

As always the price you pay for something completely impromptu and mind-blowing is that it is usually a bit more knuckle-busting.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4115 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Steven, it's in Michael Close's "Workers 5" and called "The Invisible Deck" indeed. It's not really impromptu but uses an ordinary deck, no gaffs... I use it often and think it's very good if you do MD work... and in my opinion therefore cleaner, faster and superior to Ackermann's method. What I did change in my personal handling is spreading through the deck which is face down. You can adjust Close's handling easily in order to start with an apparent face down deck. Looks simply more innocent and the cu...ng is invisible. Mark # 10, 20, 36, and 46 if you like and you are even faster. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Anyone see Michael Vincent's "Brainwave My Way" effect on his recent DVD set? I agree with WS Duncan about using the gaffed deck, but this is one incredible ungaffed (almost) version of Brainwave.

Robert
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2600 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Jan, thanks for the correction and yes, I do MD work myself and find that it makes a lot of effects cleaner and faster. I don't know Close's Invisible Deck routine myself but just ordered the Workers eBook and am looking forward to reading all about it.

Robert, I just recently saw a demo of Michael Vincent performing an effect and what struck me about him was how natural and effortless he was. Completely relaxed and disarming. Liked it so much I actually purchased the DVD set and am awaiting its arrival as well.

These are in fact my first two purchases in quite some time and am looking forward to expanding my repertoire.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
AsL
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of AsL
Appreciate all the input guys! I'm also grateful that a few people gave a little guidance as to Michael Close's version. I imagine some people would've been quite dissappointed without that.

All the Best,
magicianguy4life
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The Best Impromptu Ultra Mental (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL