The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » English Penny tarnish question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
So my hopping half went through the wash. It was in a bag, which saved if from being bent up.

However, the two English Penny ['s have a different color to them. It is a dark blue/green (more bluish).

I haven't tried polishing them yet, but wanted to run it by you guys before.

So I know that is probably as clear as can be... but if one of you had this heppen, you might know what I am trying to describe!

Thanks,

RevJohn
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8823 Posts

Profile of funsway
Normal copper cleaner like Brasso should work. If too tarnished try ZUD or Bartender's helper first as they contain oxolic acid -- then the Brasso.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Brasso worked great. Just didn't know if it was something Brasso would take care of, but did the trick.

Thanks.

RevJohn
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
I use Tarnex, cleans most metals right up... and it's super cheap.
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
k13pt0maniac
View Profile
New user
Brownsville, Texas
92 Posts

Profile of k13pt0maniac
I bought 2 dozen english pennies on ebay last week when I got them I cleaned em up with a cheap tooth brush and some tooth paste .. the get really shiny and get a pinkish color to them .. its been about a week now and after handling them a little bit and leaving them out in the open they are getting a nice brown color.. any one know how to speed up the change in color after cleaning them up like this? would that ZUD or Bartender's helper do the trick?

-Abe
-Abe a.k.a. C3rb3rus
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Another great cleaner for coins is Weiman Metal Polish. I have used them all and this one does a great job!
Sammy J. Teague
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8823 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-06-11 23:18, k13pt0maniac wrote:
would that ZUD or Bartender's helper do the trick?
-Abe

no - it will make them pinker faster, but does allow a number of coins to 'age' the same color without discoloration marks. While you are at it, clean all the lime stains, etc. off of your sink fixtures. Also, never use steel wool or rough scouring pads with this stuff. Zud is better but often hard to find -- illegal in some States (because it works??)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Try a jewelry polishing cloth. You can get them at most jewelry stores. They are gentle on the items you need to maintain and very gentle on your hands. No powdery residue or stink, either. I keep one in my coin kit and one in my gig box.

These are usually 2 sheets of material that are sewn together. The interior sheet is impregnated with a polishing compound and the outer sheet is just plain felt-like material for quick polishing.

No water needed and there is no clean up whatsoever.

Here's one brand (there are many):

http://www.silverandstone.com/jewelry-polishing-cloth.html

and here's another:

http://www.collectordepot.net/servlet/th......S/Detail

When they get real black and icky looking, toss them and get new ones. I've been using the same ones for 10 years and they are about 1/2 used up now.

dsalley13
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » English Penny tarnish question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL