The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Red and Black" Variations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
John Kennedy has an amazing version of "Out of this world" called "Red and Black". I am trying to find all the different variations of John Kennedy's effect (NOT OUT OF THIS WORLD!)

Here are some to get us started... (Please list Effect Title, Author, Source)

"Intuition" Roberto Giobbi- Card College Light
“Splitting The Difference” by Gordon Bean- Genii Magizine May 2005

Thanks,
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!
moualb
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of moualb
Mark ,

I know Intuition but not the Kennedy's effect.

How would you define the differences between a variation of 'Red and Black' and a variation of 'Out of the world' ?

Or what would be for you the important differences between Intuition and OOTW ?

Is it the fact that not all the cards are dealt ? or that the performer holds a packet of mixed cards and can show mixed cards ?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I don't think there are a lot of variations of this.Perhaps 'White Star' by Jim Critchlow could be included.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
ogami_itto
View Profile
New user
Aberdeen, UK
26 Posts

Profile of ogami_itto
Derren Brown's handling of Out of this World in the devils picturebook is brilliant. I watched it so many times when I first got the video, but alas technology has scuppered me and my video player is now in the loft! hehe. Should really make the effort and transfer to DVD - or it might just be easier to get the new dvds! lol
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
There is a recently released deck that has many applications, including a version of Kennedy's trick. At least if its the one I'm thinking of.

EDIT: found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-lHfxR1mew

~ Feras
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
Medifro,

I would assume you are talking about the Hummer Deck and the Variation of John Kennedy's Trick Called "White Trash".
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
MarkyMark,

It would seem from the description of 'White Star' by Jim Critchlow that it is a variation of John Kennedy's "Red and Black". However, I cannot be sure because I have not seen the method. The procedure seems to be identical though.
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
Moualb,

The major difference between "Intuition" by Robero Giobbi and "Red and Black" by John Kennedy is that the spectators are choosing from one mixed deck of cards. In "Intuition" Both spectators hold a packet of cards. I would still consider this one a variation of "Red and Black" though.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Yes Mark, John Kennedy does get a credit in the instructions for 'White Star'

That Gordon Bean version is a beauty! Reminds me of something Max Maven would submit. No special deck needed...just a safety pin!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
J.K. Hartman has a very nice version of the Kennedy trick in Card Dupery. I'm out of town right now and can't get to my library. Find Vlad, he'd know.
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
Ed,

The J.K Harman effect in Card Dupery reads as follows:

"Someone is asked to separate a mixed deck into black cards and reds, dealing the cards face upbut with his eyes closed. When he opens them, he sees what everyone else has been watching: the piles he has created are a random jumble of colors and he has utterly failed. Or has he The performer reveals that he has assembled the cards from two decksand his helper has somehow perfectly separated the cards by their different back patterns!"

By that description it doesn't seem like it would use the same method as Kennedy's Effect. It does sound very intriguing though.
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
MarkyMark,

What is the deal with the safety pin in Gordon Bean's Version? I have not read the effect/method so I am not sure how a safety pin fits in.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Mark,

I don't think that's the same routine. There's another one closer to the Kennedy routine. I won't be home for another week and a half. I'm sure that there's someone else here who can find it.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 16:20, Mark Storms wrote:
MarkyMark,

It would seem from the description of 'White Star' by Jim Critchlow that it is a variation of John Kennedy's "Red and Black". However, I cannot be sure because I have not seen the method. The procedure seems to be identical though.

Critchlow, Jim: White Star (marketed routine ©2008) It's a classic routining with just one pile made by a spectator and a reject pile. The originality here is that the routine is not done with playing cards but with old photographs of passengers of the Titanic which have, printed on the back, some details about them and whether they "survived" or "died". Naturally one spectator ends up with only passengers who survived and the other one with passengers who died
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Red and Black" Variations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL