The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » WRONG! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magical_magician3003
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of magical_magician3003
Hi,
Impromptu magic is not something that you carry something with you! It's that basically you have "nothing" with you! (or maybe some coins) and if anyone asks you to do a trick, you pick up the objects around you! For example rubber bands, or borrow a coin, do magnetized hand, etc.... This is impromptu. If you carry something with you, that's kind of like street magic. Tell me what you think!
Bilal
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Actually, to me impromptu simply means that you perform some magic without having planned to do so at this particular moment... I personally always carry a thumb tip, small silk, and a deck of cards with me. This allows several effects at a moment's notice, without having been prearranged.

Notice that this does not stop you from performing other effects with coins, napkins or other stuff... Smile
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1644 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I've noticed on this board that the word "impromptu" seems to mean different things to different people.

And that doesn't make either of them right or wrong. It just means that there are several different meanings to the expession "impromptu magic".

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
I would say: With the use of normal objects an ordinary person would carry in a unprepared situation.
Jonatan Bank
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
Impromptu to me means using what's available in a spontaneous situation. I have Gardners Encyclopedia of Impromtu Magic and think it is a great resource for this type of magic.
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Micheal Webers Life Savers is also an excellent book, with material that will suit you regardless of your definition of impromptu.
kaitou
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of kaitou
to me, as long as it seems impromptu to your spectators, it is impromptu. Whether scotch and soda or card-to-wallet, they need props, but seem impromptu, and thus, are, as far as your spectators are concerned.
mrlavaboy
View Profile
New user
Indpls
94 Posts

Profile of mrlavaboy
I agree. Everyone carries around a deck of cards with them, I was just checking with my co-workers and one guy had 3 decks with him. Who would have thunk it... lol

Smile andy
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
It is kind of like speaking extemporaneously. Just because you are speaking off the top of your head does not mean you are unprepared to speak.

Impromptu can run the gammit from small stuff in your pockets you do when asked, to using only the items you find around you.

Years ago impromptu magic was a standard category found in large magic catalogs. They must have been selling something.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
My opinion of impromptu is any trick that requires no setting up.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » WRONG! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL