The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Digital TV - No competition from TV - Live Magic Returns (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If the "Big Switch" to digital TV broadcasting is a great a failure across the nation as it is here today in Alabama, live entertainment just got a huge bonanza. Broadcast network TV is totally Off the Air (by federal law!). Third party providers (cable and dish) are the only survivors. Local TV is of very limited availability there. Pay TV ONLY is finally here. (Remember the joke? I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. It is true. Run for your life!)

With this tremendous fall in viewer audiences for local TV, educated local advertisers will drop local TV advertising and the local network stations will finish failing. The new Third World America will be accelerating towards retardation. Yes, it is CHANGE indeed! Right back to the 1940s in just a flip of the "Big Switch".

With the lost of a major form of entertainment in the USA, live entertainment could gain new audiences. Some entertainers could even be sponsored by advertisers (again) and free to the public. I haven't forgotten those days and they may be coming back.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
I have been contemplating these change for a long long time.

See ya real soon!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Absolutely no change here where I live. In fact there are more channels available now as all of our local stations are broadcasting in both Digital and HD. We haven't had a single station close or cutback service.

A friend of mine just hooked his mothers TV up to the new antenna and converter box and told me that she was getting broadcast signals from stations she previously was unable to receive clearly. So she now is getting more free TV than she was previously

So at least around here ther hasn't been a fall in viewership at all.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Only 2.5% of Americans aren't set up for digital TV as of today. That's according to Nielsen, the TV ratings people, and they should know. Like Payne implies, most Americans will be able to see MORE TV, not less.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2009-06-12 08:20, Bob Sanders wrote:
If the "Big Switch" to digital TV broadcasting is a great a failure across the nation as it is here today in Alabama, live entertainment just got a huge bonanza. Broadcast network TV is totally Off the Air (by federal law!). Third party providers (cable and dish) are the only survivors. Local TV is of very limited availability there. Pay TV ONLY is finally here. (Remember the joke? I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. It is true. Run for your life!)

With this tremendous fall in viewer audiences for local TV, educated local advertisers will drop local TV advertising and the local network stations will finish failing. The new Third World America will be accelerating towards retardation. Yes, it is CHANGE indeed! Right back to the 1940s in just a flip of the "Big Switch".

With the lost of a major form of entertainment in the USA, live entertainment could gain new audiences. Some entertainers could even be sponsored by advertisers (again) and free to the public. I haven't forgotten those days and they may be coming back.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Where did you get that idea? You can still get free TV by buying a converter box from the store and connecting it to your antenna. You don't need cable or satellite. The converter box will allow you to get FREE OTA (Over the Air) channels. I find it amazing that with all of the commercials about the transition that there are still those who don't know this.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had satellite, it's gone currently but that's life.

I have a converter box on the little TV in the bedroom, we get all the over the air stations and a couple I'd never heard of before (Retro-TV and some others)

I don't have a converter box on the big TV in the living room because it's already digital... I DO need to get a new antenna for it and will... soon... I promise.

In the meantime, it plays DVDs and we have the X-Box 360 hooked up to it.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you live under the broadcast antenna you probably are in good shape. Most of America is not within 30 miles of the broadcast antenna.

We have the new proper antenna (even 30' tall) and both converter boxes on the old sets and new TV with brand new digital TV tuners built in. What we don't have is satisfactory TV signals. (We did before with analog!) Bottom line is that the paid advertising doesn't get delivered as widely as it once did.

Paid advertising is the financial support for local TV. The value of those ads has been seriously diluted. The audience is smaller. Educated ad buyers will move their advertising dollars. (One of the most predictable things about real life: Smart Money Moves Toward Opportunities. The opportunities have been revised.)

As a viewer, I have no complaint with digital TV. As a businessman, I am searching for advertising and marketing communications opportunities again. Local TV advertising budgets will be seriously cut.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 09:34, Bob Sanders wrote:
If you live under the broadcast antenna you probably are in good shape. Most of America is not within 30 miles of the broadcast antenna.

You don't need to be that close. Most sets can pick up a signal from a broadcast tower, depending on terrain and signal strength, three times that distance. Repeater transmitters extend that range as well.

Quote:
We have the new proper antenna (even 30' tall) and both converter boxes on the old sets and new TV with brand new digital TV tuners built in. What we don't have is satisfactory TV signals. (We did before with analog!) Bottom line is that the paid advertising doesn't get delivered as widely as it once did.

Tell your station to boost its signal. Everyone around here is getting more channels and better quality picture since the cross over.

Quote:
Paid advertising is the financial support for local TV. The value of those ads has been seriously diluted. The audience is smaller. Educated ad buyers will move their advertising dollars. (One of the most predictable things about real life: Smart Money Moves Toward Opportunities. The opportunities have been revised.)

Broadcast TV has been losing revenue from advertisers for years and years. Cable TV has been sucking them away as they can provide cheaper rates and more targeted audiences. I sincerely doubt that losing a tiny handful of viewers after the switch is going to effect them one iota.

Quote:
As a viewer, I have no complaint with digital TV. As a businessman, I am searching for advertising and marketing communications opportunities again. Local TV advertising budgets will be seriously cut.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Again I really can't see this happening. the vast majority of people get their TV via cable. Which actually extends their broadcast range. I can watch the many of the Seattle stations in hotel rooms all over the Pacific Northwest. Cable which vastly extends their coverage and the rates they can charge for advertising.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Digital TV - No competition from TV - Live Magic Returns (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL