The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pictures of everyone's tables and cases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey everyone,

I've posted pictures on a few other threads in response to questions about an inexpensive open-top table. (I'll repost below.) I've also see pics of the table and system that Frank Starsini uses.

I'm starting this thread in hopes that others will join in and post some pics of their tables along with any tips about purchasing or making something similar.

Wouldn't it be great to have lots of ideas, pics, and links all on one thread?

Here's mine...

I have a cheap and easy solution that has worked decently well for me. I bought a black KASSETT Magazine box with lid from IKEA ($14.99 for a 2-pack.)

I rotated the lid 90 degrees and sat it on top of the box, then cut two slits on one side of the lid so that it slid down snugly onto the box. I set the whole thing on an $8 black TV table similar to one of these from Target. Done. : )

Here's a snap. (Note: that's a jumbo deck, not a really small table.)

P.S. I also use a black adjustable music stand. The top lays flat and (miraculously) is the exact size of my close-up pad. I often use the music stand for the effect I'm performing and use the box table to pick up and ditch props. (You can see it in this little practice video.)

Click here to view attached image.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
The table looks great.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I bought my table from Tony Clark...he was very generous in the price because I take lessons with him. It's a beautiful piece and I'm proud to own it. He used it for a television special and his stage show in Lake Tahoe. There's a motor mounted underneath the base with a switch, so those gears actually turn which is a fun little feature. It's also painted with the same type of paint used on cars, meaning I can actually wax this thing if I want to.

"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Here's another photo...I hope I'm not cheating by posting more than one! I just took this from a higher angle to see the open space inside.

"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
And the last one, I swear. (If there's a way to post multiple pictures in one thread let me know...I would have posted them with a link to my web site but the server has been acting up on me.) I cut out a piece of wood to fit onto the top of the table and it rests there nicely. (That's a home-made Jap Box on the top...$3.00 worth of materials and an hour of my time...thank you Jeff Hobson.) The name of the guy that made these tables escapes my mind but Tony told me they were each hand crafted and no two were alike. My roommates think it's a ridiculous addition to the house but what do they know about fine art?

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Does anyone else have photos of their tables they'd like to share? Always interesting to see what folks are using!
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I actually make my own tops out of wood, foam, & then choose from several different fabrics that I keep on hand. Several of my fellow club members have actually bought several of these from me. It rests on a Tray Stand that restaurants use, but also has rubber "feet" in the corners in case I need to set it directly on a table, or even set in on my lap by itself. I recently removed the covering fabric to have my name embroidered on it, then re-covered it & it looks great. I don't use a "container" attached to it of any sort so as not to take away from the "simplicity of design". I carry my props either in my pockets or a standing Lap-top" brief case for close-up and parlor shows. I have bigger cases for bigger venues. Sorry, but I can't get the pic to post, can anyone help me with that?

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Hey Daniel, I liked that video clip it was fun to watch.

Also, noticed that you had a baseball cap on and a different hat on the table, to me this was not a good idea having two hats.

Andrew, cool looking table.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Here is my most recent table. This is the front view...

From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Here is the back view, so you can see the servante...

From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Fun little topic. I have a table, but VERY rarely use it. I normally use whatever is at the venue. At home I practice on my dining room table, which is actually made from a bowling lane. It's cool, but it weighs a ton!

That's a VERY sweet looking table Andrew. I beleive it's one that was made by Mike Michaels. He does beautiful work.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Yes Pepka, it is a Mike Michaels...gorgeous stuff. I recently saw Arian Black at the castle and immediately recognized her table as being one of his...she told me it was the first one he ever made, which is why it was a little "used," but it's a gorgeous piece.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pictures of everyone's tables and cases (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL