The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Injured!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Just thought you might like to know that whilst slicing a joint (of meat!!) on Saturday night, I became distracted by the pouring of alcohol and neatly took a chunk out of my thumb. It was one of those moments that as soon as it happened, you dread to look at the damage! Thankfully, all it required was a plaster dressing. The problem is this: My thumb now has a 'flappy' piece of skin and is a tad sore. So I wear a plaster to protect it. But whichever way, covered or not, I can't perform any card magic with any fluidity.

So what?! I hear the murmers. Well, it made me ponder what do you Pro's do when something like this happens? It must surely affect your income? Is there such a thing as insurance against injury for a close up magician?

Thankfully, it was my left thumb and no-way interfered with the operation of said looming alcoholic beverage receptacle.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Loyds of London will insure ANY part of your body.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Sorry to hear Roger! In my business I unfortunately do a lot of damage to my mitts now and then so I understand your concern and feel your pain! I have on many occasions used CA (Super) glue to re attach the flap and I've also just trimmed it off if it's not too deep or large!

BE CAREFUL,

MMc
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 02:54, MickeyPainless wrote:
(SNIP)
...and I've also just trimmed it off if it's not too deep or large!
(SNIP)

Isn't that what he tried already?

Chop a thumb and cut a nail, then the TT will fit perfectly??

Speaking of it, put a bandaid on the TT, so it matches Smile Might even make it more convincing.

Michael

EDIT: Maybe my Cinderella "quote" is wasted here, I understand not many people like books anymore Smile
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4861 Posts

Profile of gdw
Actually, I know Josh Jay has a routine that actually plays off of an injured thumb. Also, you can learn a bunch of René Lavand's material so as to be prepared for such events in the future, though you would probably want to practice them with both hands equally, as you never know which hand you may injure.

Also, what about some more mentalism oriented work?

I've never really thought about this myself, which is ironic as I broke my right hand earlier in my magic "career." I use the term lightly as I wasn't really "working" beside the occasional show for family and friends, and as such, it only affected my practice and casual performances, and I never bothered to think about a back-up plan should it affect my income.

I think I'll be going through my own repertoire now and making sure I have a hand(s) free set.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Cardician99
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
158 Posts

Profile of Cardician99
Put a band-aid on it.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 13:51, molsen wrote:
Quote:
(SNIP)
(SNIP)

As they say at the card table....... COMPLETE the cut! Smile
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 15:31, MickeyPainless wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 13:51, molsen wrote:
Quote:
(SNIP)
(SNIP)

As they say at the card table....... COMPLETE the cut! Smile

LOL!!

That'd really add a kicker ending to the 'grandpa' trick of pulling the thumb off Smile

Roger, sorry to laugh at your injury I wish you a fast and complete recovery. But I have cut my fingers so many times myself, I am sometimes surprised they're still all attached to my hands.

In the meantime, when you do invisible palm aces, you can actually show them the secret trap door...
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 15:21, Cardician99 wrote:
Put a band-aid on it.

I dig it.

I was a music performance major in college. The most talented pianist I've ever met was a Ukranian named Anna. I watched her perform some Beethoven works less than 12 hours after watching her slice her index finger while cooking. She strapped on a band-aid and went to town on the keyboard. When she was finished, the ivory was smeared with crimson, but it was a beautiful performance. Whenever I hurt my hands now, I always think back to that performance. I take precautions to not bleed everywhere - since this is largely a visual art - but I just go to work.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4861 Posts

Profile of gdw
Bleeding on a piano, or even on stage over your juggling bottles (Re: Penn Jillette) is one thing, but bleeding on your cards as you ask a spec to pick one is completely different, lol.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
bobon
View Profile
Regular user
Hyderabad .India
166 Posts

Profile of bobon
No worries.Everything will be fine.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I'm happy to report that I am fully on the road to recovery and thank everyone for their heartfelt gestures of goodwill. Smile I now sport a neet groove at the tip of my thump which nicely houses a single playing on its edge. For the time being, I shall be using this method as the closer for my ACR! Picture to follow....
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Not that I would call myself a current pro since I haven't done more than maybe 15 shows in the past year due to time constraints and business but when I did do many shows and even still now there is nothing better than self working well presented tricks to cover it. That is why I originally bought Karl Fulves and also why I still have a few.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Injured!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL