The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Going full circle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Some of you may remember that I bored you to death about changing persona a while back...reclaiming the word psychic within a certain framework...

as I worked through what I did, the fun stuff, and the serious stuff...i was revisiting old effects of mine, older ways of how I presented things...and it turns out that what felt most comfortable - was to just add more meat upon the bones of what I was already doing...

when I first started gigging, I had a small chinese chest full of objects that people could examine, pick one...and I'd tell the story behind it...weird things would happen...

then I took a little break to re-examine it, and found that I wanted to move on - I'd learnt a lot over that year or two and felt that I should express myself a little differently...

so I adapted - and then everything I used to work with, fitted inside an a4 leather art portfolio...and the after dinner gigs were completely different..it was me using some of my art and design background to draw the future, draw thoughts and show people weird pictures to influence their decisions...

again, after a year or so, I'd learnt more - changed again...i had also researched my family tree and found east end tarot readers and 'psychics', on my mum's side...

and a rum smuggler from the isle of wight on my dad's side...

so I grabbed that and ran with it - but I didn't run far enough...thats been my problem. Looking back, I don't think I committed to it fully...and maybe I was a little scared to do so...

so of late, I've been re-investigating everything, ramping up the meanings behind my presentations - and have come to terms with what my background is...i think its more of an honest approach for me, at least...

I do not want to be yet another psychological illusionist, I do not want to be a swami of some kind...so, I've cut through those lines as it were...and now feel comfortable in my own skin with regards to what I share with the punters...

its the same angle I came from before, however this time, I feel far more committed to both sides of the same coin...and I'm not worried about angry sceptics, nor summerland officianados...

I can genuinely tell stories of family members telling fortunes
I can genuinely tell stories of family members misdirecting the police
and I can genuinely replicate what they did too...

some of it is genuine skills that I have learnt
some of it is natural ability
some of it is a mixture of the two

I feel a hybrid, and always have - but I think I've fully ironed out what I want to share and portray with people when I gig...even if its just a quick thing at a bar...

so anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest, please excuse the vanity of the post too...
I've asked to be banned
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Nice post Iain!!!

I enjoyed it.

Good to hear that you are constantly thinking about your style and image, something I don't do enough I think.

It has made me what to question my style and "character"

Cheers bro!!

Peace & Love

Matt
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Sorry but this is off topic...Matt...I love your signature...
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Its a true story!!!

I think that this is on topic. Its made me question my act and my style and therefore of use to me.

I think this could turn into quite an interesting thread.

Just my opinion tho!

Peace & Love

Matt
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Peace & Love

Matt
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Get a room, you two...
I've asked to be banned
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 08:08, IAIN wrote:
Get a room, you two...


I thought you were the only guy for me Iain!!

So if someone asked you what you call yourself and how you describe what you do what would you say to them?

At the moment I claim that I am a mind reader. I have no idea how I do the things I do. I don't believe that I am psychic and I also don't believe I am picking up on body language and so forth. I just play the ignorence card and it works for me.

People choose to believe what they want and it makes it more entertaining.

I am currently re thinking my character and how I should present myself and claim my abilities.

Peace & Love

Matt
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi Iain. I love the whole thought process that went into creating your current image. I am not familiar with your work, but I assume that now you are presenting a genuine experience, not a series of tricks. More of us should strive for this. I spent years in a similar process with my children's act (my bread and butter), but have not come through the full process with my mentalism. I hope to eventually.
From reading your post I think I would enjoy watching you perform. Good luck.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I wouldnt call myself anything...i'm just me...

I'm never going to be big-time, as I don't do stage work...and I think you probably have to do stage to be qualified as a big time pro name...so I don't really need a label as a selling point...

I like close up, intimate stuff...as you well know during our special times together Mr. ShepHARD...

my gigs are small, after dinner parties, small social gatherings, I like that "feel"...

in what I do, I have learnt how to verbally misdirect and manipulate people's thought processes, via the skills of the smuggler...so I can play cards, gamble, make you think you have seen one thing, when really I've done something else - I can confuse you, make you misremember things..influence your choices...

or I can replicate psychic phenomena through skills I've learnt from the people I've talked to in my family, whilst researching my family history...and along that path, I've found I've got a certain knack for things too - picking up on other people's focused thoughts, how they perceive reality and also how to alter that for a short while, with their permission...

and I can safely say I don't talk to the dead, as I believe that is just my subconcious telling me what to say, rather than a spirit...

we can do readings together, doing so by exploring it via art, drawings or even the tarot if they so wish...
I've asked to be banned
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I like it!!!

Good stuff Iain!!!

Will have to see one of your intimate performances........again!

Peace & Love

Matt
MentalAlex
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MentalAlex
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 10:13, IAIN wrote:
in what I do, I have learnt how to verbally misdirect and manipulate people's thought processes, via the skills of the smuggler...so I can play cards, gamble, make you think you have seen one thing, when really I've done something else - I can confuse you, make you misremember things..influence your choices...


Very Chan Canasta, I like it!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 07:02, IAIN wrote:
Some of you may remember that I bored you to death about changing persona a while back...reclaiming the word psychic within a certain framework...

as I worked through what I did, the fun stuff, and the serious stuff...i was revisiting old effects of mine, older ways of how I presented things...and it turns out that what felt most comfortable - was to just add more meat upon the bones of what I was already doing...

when I first started gigging, I had a small chinese chest full of objects that people could examine, pick one...and I'd tell the story behind it...weird things would happen...

then I took a little break to re-examine it, and found that I wanted to move on - I'd learnt a lot over that year or two and felt that I should express myself a little differently...

so I adapted - and then everything I used to work with, fitted inside an a4 leather art portfolio...and the after dinner gigs were completely different..it was me using some of my art and design background to draw the future, draw thoughts and show people weird pictures to influence their decisions...

again, after a year or so, I'd learnt more - changed again...i had also researched my family tree and found east end tarot readers and 'psychics', on my mum's side...

and a rum smuggler from the isle of wight on my dad's side...

so I grabbed that and ran with it - but I didn't run far enough...thats been my problem. Looking back, I don't think I committed to it fully...and maybe I was a little scared to do so...

so of late, I've been re-investigating everything, ramping up the meanings behind my presentations - and have come to terms with what my background is...i think its more of an honest approach for me, at least...

I do not want to be yet another psychological illusionist, I do not want to be a swami of some kind...so, I've cut through those lines as it were...and now feel comfortable in my own skin with regards to what I share with the punters...

its the same angle I came from before, however this time, I feel far more committed to both sides of the same coin...and I'm not worried about angry sceptics, nor summerland officianados...

I can genuinely tell stories of family members telling fortunes
I can genuinely tell stories of family members misdirecting the police
and I can genuinely replicate what they did too...

some of it is genuine skills that I have learnt
some of it is natural ability
some of it is a mixture of the two

I feel a hybrid, and always have - but I think I've fully ironed out what I want to share and portray with people when I gig...even if its just a quick thing at a bar...

so anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest, please excuse the vanity of the post too...





This is the normal process of developing your act or routines. In other words, fine tuning your persona and bits. It takes time and more importantly it takes DOING your act or routines.

The secret to finding who you are comes to you like a good bottle of aged wine. You must let yourself grow on the vine of who you are so that you can become your true self.





R
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 11:41, Magical Dimensions wrote:

The secret to finding who you are comes to you like a good bottle of aged wine. You must let yourself grow on the vine of who you are so that you can become your true self.



You tree hugging hippie!!!!

Peace & Love

Matt
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 11:53, Matthew Shepherd wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 11:41, Magical Dimensions wrote:

The secret to finding who you are comes to you like a good bottle of aged wine. You must let yourself grow on the vine of who you are so that you can become your true self.




Ray
You tree hugging hippie!!!!

Peace & Love

Matt






HEY, I was around back THEN! LOL
Those were FUN times!


Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Going full circle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL