The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Killer Prediction by Cody Fisher (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 18:40, emyers99 wrote:

* Is the ad slightly misleading? I think so...but most ads are these days.

* As for the effect, overall I think it is a good one.

* . . . it is similar in premise the the amazing Predator Wallet. While I don't think it is as strong as the Predator Wallet . . .

* . . . there were two weak points in the routine:

(1) The initial handling of three paper balls.

(2) The question asked to the third spectator.

* I have already come up with ways around these two areas. . . . most people will be able to fix areas they may not like.

This is not an opinion of one lone individual (who has the effect Smile) but of at least three others (on this very thread) who have purchased the effect.

Quote:
On 2009-06-18 13:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

* Many times just a routine and the thinking behind it is worth the purchase.

[Yes, agreed.]

* If you get an idea that improves what you do in other areas, you got a lesson from a working pro that is gold.

[True, but in this case one has to come up with his own ways around the grey areas/ weak points.]

I realize I'm a huge fan of Cody Fisher's magic and for years I have used several of his effects and ideas. But he only releases effects that he uses in his act.

[And surprisingly Cody hasn’t realized that a couple of grey areas/ weak points lie in the effect, that too in the much advertised KICKER ending.]

Personally I have nothing against Mr. Cody or any of his effects. I have really liked some of Cody’s effects, especially the brilliant thinking that has gone behind the effects and have learnt a lot from his thinking. I am only against ads that tend to mislead/ deceive potential buyers for any reason whatsoever.

And please, let me tell you, it is NOT necessary to buy an effect so as to comment on. Ones experience and knowledge in the field should be more than adequate to judge an effect in the right spirit & perspective. If there is/ are any drawback(s)/ weak point(s) in an effect lets accept it and then leave it to the purchaser to judge for themselves the suitability of the effect and/ or to find ones own way/ method to overcome/ fix the weakness/ grey area of such effects. Or better, the producer should come up with an alternate handling/ method.

Just my thoughts! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I read the manuscript several times and then the ad. I don't get how anyone felt the ad was misleading.

Would a beginner feel mislead? Sure. They feel mislead by "the silk vanishes right in front of their eyes. It's truly gone and can be made to appear anywhere". They get it home and there are two silks and a TT. lol. I know because that type of ad got me! Doesn't mean the effect isn't a killer one ( it is ).

I don't see any weak points in the routine if you're performing for laypeople.

Has anyone seen Paul Wilson's Predator preformed? It frys people and no working Pro thinks it was over priced or had weak pints. Could you buy it and find some? Sure. The ad says "You begin with just three dollar-bills.....". Is that true? From the audiences perspective it is. A magi with little experience would feel mislead.

Cody has a first rate routine here. What if you performed it just as he wrote it up and the audience was fried. Would you still feel mislead by the ad. I mean, the audience is fried, would you still feel taken in?

I know guys that bought the floating bill when it came out and felt cheated that they got IT. I know, hard to believe.

I'm in the category of some others. I like Cody and wish him great success with his magic, but I'm fine if no one is interested in this. When Doc Eason did his L&L videos in the 90's, he wanted to sell as many as he could and hoped no one perform any of the effects. There's a reason for that type of thinking.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
This sounds like an opener to me. I have Predator. It frys. Have a hunch this will too. I'm also a Cody fan.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-06-19 00:23, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

What if you performed it just as he wrote it up and the audience was fried. Would you still feel mislead by the ad. I mean, the audience is fried, would you still feel taken in?

No.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I am kind of surprised by the reaction here (but maybe I shouldn't be). I have been extremely happy with Cody's work, but have not purchased this. I guess what really shocks me, is the jaded perception of what is worth $20.

I have spent hundreds on a mentalism book (sometimes OOP, or other times, because of a limited edition). In many of these cases, I was perfectly happy to even find a "nuance" or two, much less an effect I use.

"A laborer is worthy of his wage". This sounds like a great edition to a standard effect, which I imagine would make this seem like more of a true stand-up piece, rather than a close up effect. This "adjustment" alone would make it EASILY worth twenty bucks. I can appreciate the logical analysis which says the balls of papers and the deck itself serve to "say the same thing", but I don't feel this is the case here. Sometimes these small additions are what "amplifies" an effect throughout an audience. David Berglas used to take a familiar effect (to magicians) and turn it into a miracle, by adding something that made it "play bigger". I truly believe that's probably the case with Cody's idea.

...Seriously, gents. I can't even tie my show without spending a $20. Have you gotten a cup of coffee lately? (Which ironically, I find worth the price for the "experience" of addictive stimulants and a comfy chair). That price isn't high enough to even called an "investment".

This is the kind of discussion which de-motivates fine creators like Cody from releasing pet material. No offense to you folks, but the discussion is pretty short-sited. Cody seems like an honorable guy and I read the ad and I do NOT feel like it was deceptive. Remember, it's what the audience perceives and how they react that makes the effect, not the minutia of the method.

Regards,

Sean
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Cody's story he told on page one of thois thread sums it up. He had a friend that loved his routine when he saw it performed and when Cody tipped the method

"When he found out...his reaction surprised me...he was disappointed!"

This happens not only to newbies and hobbyists but also seasoned folks ( I considered myself a very still wet behind the ears magi ). I've been guilty of it as well.

I read the "Killer Prediction" manuscript again this morning. I love the fact that a Brainwave deck is used ( but you could use an ID ) and that the three balls of paper you throw out can be each a different color. I think that's a beautiful touch.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, but what if each prediction is placed inside a small, different color plastic egg that you throw out and they open up to remove the prediction?

Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Wow two pages of discussion...praise and controversy...I am well on my way to celebrity rehab!

Nice idea with the easter eggs Chris...that is certainly doable!

Thanks for all the comments guys...both positive and negative...we can learn from both. I did go online this morning and change the wording of the effect description just a little. It sounds pretty much the same to me...but after letting my wife read this thread she helped change it up a tiny bit.

Take care friends...

Cody S. Fisher

P.S. I say "letting my wife read this thread" as if it was something she 'wanted' to do...I should have said "after 'begging' my wife to read this thread"!
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
Thanks for releasing a great effect at a great price!

Jeff
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I think it comes down to experience in reading descriptions. Having been in this business many years now, including working in a Magic shop for a few years, and helping Magicians across the world with their effects and write ups, I can't say there are many effects out there when I read the description, I am clueless. I know pretty much what I will be getting when I read something, and base my judgement on my own personal experience. When I read this ad, I knew exactly how it was meant to be taken and how the method would be accomplished, but that is not what I would be paying for, I would be paying for the selling point...the presentation. The little subtleties and tips which change a trick from being exactly that, a 'Trick', and make it become a performance.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I agree, Christopher. Well stated.
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
405 Posts

Profile of ritty360
I am a bit blown away by the reactions to this. I think this is a great addition to the ID making it well worth the value. The thinking some folks are using would make B'wave a trash effect. So the prediction is face up. Why is the back a different color? Why is the rest of the bank of cards blank?

Please people, this sounds really good and I am sorry that folks cant see value....
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
When you think about, a lot of copy for magic tricks is written tends to make the trick seem more unbelievable than it really is. The same is true for many of the video demos made.

It's good to read reviews and discussions like this before buying. That way, hopefuly, you won't be disappointed.

Looking forward to getting this.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Just get it.
Very clever and well constructed.
My only fear, on a laymen point of view, is that someone might think that the people can SEE what is written on the papers, and are influenced to name the card, suit,..
Kind of instant stooge method
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-06-21 09:22, ARNOMAGIE wrote:
Just get it.
Very clever and well constructed.
My only fear, on a laymen point of view, is that someone might think that the people can SEE what is written on the papers, and are influenced to name the card, suit,..

That's why I thought of putting them in the small, different color Easter eggs.

Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-06-21 09:22, ARNOMAGIE wrote:

This is one of those things that separates magicians from mentalists in terms of the way they think because the idea of having the prediction on the crumbled paper is a solid one. Typically it's been used with a psychological force. Max Maven has been doing it for years with a color. The most recent work on it is on Max's Nothing DVD set. It's been part of my act for a while now, but I'm taking it out for Cody's routine.

BTW, I'm not putting down the easter egg idea. It's a good idea, but not because it eliminates the idea of an instant stooge. It's a fun idea. You could make the leap and say that maybe the audience thinks there's something written on the easter egg. The crumbled paper is what it is and if you treated as such, the audience will accept it.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I still think using the tabloid is an incredible idea.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Hi Michael,

What do you mean by the tabloid idea? Can you expand? Thanks!
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
If you have the manuscript, the idea of using a tabloid - a newspaper like the National Enquirer is in there.
CSMTREE
View Profile
Veteran user
El Paso, Texas
318 Posts

Profile of CSMTREE
I purchased and downloaded this last night after reading Christopher's review and all I can say is "Killer". I was visualizing the effect as I read the instructions and can see how people would be fried. This is most definately a "worker" which is portable and practicle, I love it! Anytime working pros recommend something attention should be paid. This is not "REAL MAGIC" and it has a method, ingenious as it is. Thanks Cody for thinking of the Magic Community and releasing this wonderful effect, and thanks Christopher for an honest and indepth review. Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't buy it!

With all due respect,
Bill
"Freedom is the best Magic of all"
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
A true worker IF!!!!!!!!! You live in english speaking country... Smile

Similarly Paul Wilsons Predator routine, its a killer for some of us and for some, like me, the main routine itself is pretty much useless, without some serious changes...

200$ card trick by Fisher however works for even those of use, who don't spell cards in "three parts" Smile

Juha-Matti
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Killer Prediction by Cody Fisher (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL