The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » GGG - Post your highlights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Brown
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Chris Brown
GGG was dope. I've been to lectures, get togethers, countless jam sessions but this was my first convention.

Highlights for me:

- A 1 on 1 with Howard Hamburg.

- Being able to show my 1 for 1 switch to JC Wagner and Jack Carpenter only to find that they enjoyed the move. I felt honored to give such names something that I've been working on for years that has become my signature move I guess.

- Watching Dave Neighbors do Ace Fusion. It literally brought a tear to my eye the first time I saw it. I watched him do this routine 3 times. It hit me just as hard each time! Unbelievable. Inspiration everywhere from his humble approach as well.

- The peak I learned from Youell.

- Pixel by David Jade that the Bucks brought over for people to consume and share. All the guys in the back of the lecture room were coming up with a lot of variations. Great minds at work. It was beautiful to see.

- Quality bonding with all the boys. Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, drinking...It was all good.

- Coming home with much new knowledge and inspiration, dvds, howard hamburg's signed lecture notes and an effect of his that came with a deck.

Overall, It was a pleasure just being around all of you guys. I constantly push myself to unseen realms within magic and beyond. There were more than a few moments throughout this event that I will never forget and I will take with me to let it grow into who knows what.

a student,
Chris Brown
Buy Venus Trap here -
http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap-chris-brown.html

Buy Orbit Control here -
http://store.dananddave.com/orbit-control-chris-brown.html

myspace.com/orbitbrown
youtube.com/orbitbrown
twitter.com/o
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Well I must say that one of my highlights was the pleasure of meeting Commander Chris Orbit Brown! This young Turk not only has major chops but is a dedicated student and a real credit to the art!

I enjoyed the time (although limited) I got to hang with you, loved your color changes and hope to someday see that awesome transpo live!

I will comment on the rest of the convention soon but I'm off now to catch up on some much needed sleep!

MMc
Chris Brown
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Chris Brown
Thanks friend. It was a pleasure to meet you. When I first walked in, I could tell by the mustache who you were. It was nice to match a face with the posts.
Buy Venus Trap here -
http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap-chris-brown.html

Buy Orbit Control here -
http://store.dananddave.com/orbit-control-chris-brown.html

myspace.com/orbitbrown
youtube.com/orbitbrown
twitter.com/o
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
It was great seeing you at GGG, Chris. Some more highlights:

- Youell's sophisticated technique for opening a deck of cards

- Dave Neighbors and his 2 hour+ series of coin routines in the hotel lobby on Friday night

- Watching Jack Carpenter enjoy my unusual presentation for his New Theory Ace Assembly

- J.C. Wagner's performance of an unpublished Larry Jennings transposition

- Jack Carpenter's Center Deal demonstration

- Anything that Ricky Smith was doing (What mad skills! What dry wit!)

My only regret is that I had to leave early, and I missed the last two lectures on Saturday and the Saturday night session.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Barry has a sweet poker deal with the best reset I've ever seen!

I've been working on Jack's Center Deal since I got home and it WILL become one of my standards!

There was a little known session area that I benefited from..... the smokers area! Any time there was more than a couple of us outside polluting our lungs the cards came out and I got to see some very cool stuff not included in the lecture notes!
sidestealer
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of sidestealer
Bob Kohler giving the "real work" in his lecture Saturday night.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2533 Posts

It's a shame that I missed Bob Kohler's lecture. Fortunately, I had been to one of his lectures before. Kohler is one of my favorite magicians. The magic that he does for his clients is world class stuff.

Did he happen to show his version of the rising cards?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
The GGG's rocked! I missed all of the lectures but what a great hang. Hat's off to Kent, Dorian and Theron for putting on a very well run event.

Got to spend a lot of time with both old and new friends. Got to meet a lot of the guys that hang here on the Magic Café.

I hope the guys got some value from my lecture. I didn't perform a show as usual at a convention so I didn't perform the Rising Cards, maybe next year. It was a true lecture in the old school tradition. More that half of what I covered had never been shown before. It was all unpublished material I decided to share. But obviously since it was unpublished there were no notes!

Since it was a very knowledgeable group most of the material I covered was intermediate to advanced.

The only good news is my new web site is going to have a lot of streaming video support and all of the items in the lecture should be up and available by fall.

I had a killer time...I may go back next year just for the hang!
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
***! To bad I was out of state.

I want to know about the youell method of opening a pack....
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2533 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-06-18 23:11, kcg5 wrote:
I want to know about the youell method of opening a pack....

I could describe it for you, but I think that you might have more fun if you experience it for yourself.

-Leonard Bernstein
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

You've got to make it next year Kevin!

Steven's pack opening method is almost impossible to explain and as Barry mentioned you'd have to see it to fully get the gist of what's happening!

MMc
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
244 Posts

Profile of Carlo
Loved the stuff Jack Carpenter's showed in his lecture, especially that ace assembly. I found it interesting when during the explanation he demonstrated that he used a certain scoop-up move, and said that it was Harry Lorayne's. Then he paused and looked at the audience and said, "Everything good I do comes from Harry Lorayne." Such a nice compliment, I wished Mr. Lorayne were there to hear it.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8556 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hi Carlo: Awfully nice of Jack to say that - also quite unusual. And, I didn't have to be there because you're nice enough to tell me about it, Carlo. Thanks to you and to Jack. Best - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2976 Posts

Profile of fonda57
That does sound dope.
I j
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
160 Posts

Profile of Jack Carpenter
Yes Carlos- that was the "Scoop Add under" from Lorayne's "Deck-sterity" I believe. No question, the material in Lorayne's "Close Up Card Magic", "Personal Secrets", and "My Favorite Card Tricks" was my bread and butter for many years. The philosophy and approach to card magic Harry taught in those books guides me to this day.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Jack if I went you would have been the only person I wanted to see
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hey guys my last post was just trying to have some fun, but it turned out to be in bad taste I appologise for this .... I would of loved to have been there . to see my buddy Steve Youell, J.C. Wagner, Kent Gunn, Dorian Rhodell, Steve Brooks and the others.
The Godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

And I would have driven you up and back Vinny!

MMc
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2533 Posts

Vinny,

No worries; I thought you were just kidding around. I hope I get a chance to meet you some time.

-Leonard Bernstein
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
160 Posts

Profile of Jack Carpenter
Thanks Vinny! You would have enjoyed the whole crowd. Great fun. I would love to meet you some time- that clean, single card ambitious move you do fools the hell out of me. I have no idea what you're doing with that thing- and I've watched it over, and over, and over. . .

-Jack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » GGG - Post your highlights (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL