The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How do you use a colour change? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3157 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I was just curious about how people might use a colour change. Do you do it as a standalone trick? Do you change it to a selected card? Do you use it in an ACR? Do you use a magician-in-trouble plot? Do you have it in the middle of a multiple-selection routine? If you're a working pro, do you have one as a regular part of your set?

I guess a relevant follow-up question would be this... how well are colour changes received by your audience?

You don't have to list which ones you do.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I perform several different short card effects, each one based on a different color change. It's useful to have a small arsenal of effects that last no longer than a minute for those situations that require short attention span magic. In my own work, I've found that color changes that have a presentational frame play very well. Having an amusing presentational frame increases the impact of the color change. As always, your mileage may vary, etc.

Each color change that I do is a complete effect, and each one has a different presentational frame.

Example effect: Vernon's Pick-off Pip (changing a Five of Spades to a Four) followed by another color change (changing the Four of Spades to a Four of Hearts)

Presentational frame: "Would you like a souvenir? Hold your hand out, like this. Here's a little souvenir, just for you. (Picks the center pip off the Five and pretends to carefully place it in the spectator's hand. Pauses half a beat.) The Four is so embarrassed that it blushes bright red, something I've never understood... (As the second change takes place.)"

One way that I might use the preceding effect is to have it be a follow-on to another longer effect like Derek Dingle's Too Many Cards.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
563 Posts

Profile of KC
I love doing color changes. When I first started, I would do the "wrong card turns into the selected card", but that gets old after a while and I have found that a basic DL, and then place the card face down in the spectator's hand gets a better response by a laymen. My girlfriend has seen me do lots of visual color changes, but I did the least visual one of all (a DL turned facedown) and she was surprised.

My current favorite way of playing with color changes is a joker's wild type routine. In many card games, jokers can become whatever card you want them to (i.e. their selected card) and then it changes back into the joker.

Also, using the erdnase change as an invisible palm or fake palm routine. If the face up card is on top of the deck, do the erdnase change but make it seem like you're just palming the face up top card instead.

Another thing I have been playing more and more with is to use a color change in/as a 4 card production.

Just some thoughts.

K.C.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Colour changes are very well received if done well. Emphasis on well! I have seen countless Erdnase-Houdini style colour changes that just look terrible and transparent. Also the Twirl Change (In Lieu of the Through the Fist Move) is done poorly by so many.

Take a look at the changes in The Card Magic of Lepaul. They are great. The side steal colour change is amazing when done well and "An Instantaneous Change" garners gasps from spectators.

PM me if you'd like to discuss colour changes further.

J
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 16:39, KC wrote:
My girlfriend has seen me do lots of visual color changes, but I did the least visual one of all (a DL turned facedown) and she was surprised.

Would you like to know why?
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1246 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-06-17 21:50, wsduncan wrote:
Quote:
My girlfriend has seen me do lots of visual color changes, but I did the least visual one of all (a DL turned facedown) and she was surprised.

I have my thoughts on "why," but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as well. Don't be a tease.

I've had similar experiences. It obviously has to do with the magic happening in the spectator's hands, but there's more to it than that. I think when the change is visual, it's stunning, sure... but the spectator has to assume that cunning sleight of hand is at play. When the card is in her hand, this eliminates that idea. A dl and a face down change is kind of like being one-ahead on the spectator.

Also, a visual change is confined to the extend of its visualness (that's not a word, whatever). The way the card morphs and changes is limited, for the most part, based on the change that is being done. When the change is hidden, it allows the spectators imagination to visualize the change taking place, and a good imagination is much more magical than most card moves!

That's my take on it. Now out with it Mr. Duncan.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Zack Smith
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Zack Smith
I agree with Jeff. There is something very magical about a card VISUALLY changing into another. I personally use a lot of color changes, one of my favorites is the Cardini Snap Change. The best changes leave the audience speechless and wondering "how?".
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Quote:
Quote:

"the resourceful professional failing to improve the method changes the moment..."

-Erdnase
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
Quote:

In a visual color change, the technique of performing the change happens at the same time as the change. In the DL turned face down (provided that the technique is deceptive), you can create the CONVICTION that the card is in a known place. (In fact, audience members will say that they KNEW the location of the card.) Later, when it's shown to be a different card, the technique involved is difficult to discern because it is separated from the event.

In short, a visual change tries to fool the eye. The DL change fools the mind. Both types of changes have their uses.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 12:34, BarryFernelius wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

In a visual color change, the technique of performing the change happens at the same time as the change. In the DL turned face down (provided that the technique is deceptive), you can create the CONVICTION that the card is in a known place. (In fact, audience members will say that they KNEW the location of the card.) Later, when it's shown to be a different card, the technique involved is difficult to discern because it is separated from the event.

In short, a visual change tries to fool the eye. The DL change fools the mind. Both types of changes have their uses.

That's what I meant with my Erdnase quote. You "change the moment" the change occurs so, to the spectator, it happens in their hand.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Jon Armstrong talks in depth about the double lift change in his article Small Things, Big Differences in Reel Magic Magazine. Garrett Thomas also discusses a great idea for a percieved change in his Reel Magic article Try This(at home). With Garrett's idea. The card changes several times as you pluck the card, eventually morphing into the spectators selection. Great application.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
nowyoucme
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of nowyoucme
What would you guys say would be the best color change for a Ambitious Card? I do a Houdini style colour change to turn it in there selected card. I am new to the ambitious card so I have not yet showen this to anybody. I have only been practiceing it for about 4 m.
Thanks.
Lance.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
I use generally use color changes for changing an indifferent card to a selection as well as doing transpositions and vanishes.

I haven't really figured out a good way to incorporate it into an ACR, since (at least the way I perform it) the effect is about have the card come to the top under more and more stringent conditions rather than having it change. One possibility I've played with is to use a tilt move while inserting the selection face-up, then do a color change to show the card coming to the top, but there are many other moves for an ACR that I prefer.

Another good use of a color change is for moments when a spectator invariably asks "what if I had picked ___ instead?" It's very easy to scan through the cards, miscall their card while pretending to clarify what they were asking for ("you said the ___, right...?") then change the card just used into the new one. What I've found is that when people make this comment, they almost never actually intend for you to use that card, so it gives the impression of great skill if you are able to "improvise" and find the card just named (as long as you don't make a big deal of it). Similarly, a color change makes for a great out if something should go wrong for whatever reason.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
For an ACR I'd do a side steal colour change. Very magical, very slow.

J
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I use a very clean color change at the end of Red Hot Mama/Chicago opener. I used to use Fred Robinson's one but am now considering Eric Jones' Cambio Nada, which I will use when able to do it as perfectly cleanly as Eric (possibly with the help of Boris Wild's gaffing technique from his poker hand).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How do you use a colour change? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL