The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good History Resources? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ogami_itto
View Profile
New user
Aberdeen, UK
26 Posts

Profile of ogami_itto
Hi All

As I continue my study of Magic (and particularly Card Magic of course) I have come across many references to the originator of particular moves – and quite right too.

These references however have made me realise that my knowledge of the wonderful magicians both still with us and long gone is somewhat lacking to say the least!

Would anyone have any recommendations for history of magic related books or resources that I could use to make some in-roads into rectifying this? I appreciate that the subject is massive, but revealing some of your favourites would be a very welcome start.

Thanks

Steve
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
THE JAMES FILE and STEWART JAMES IN PRINT - THE FIRST FIFTY YEARS is a great compilation of this creator's work. It also gives a very useful overview for many of the historical credits to do with card magic in the early part of the last century. You will learn a lot the history of card magic with these books and with the excellent CARD COLLEGE BOOKS (they have some very detailed footnotes to do with sleights and tricks at the back of each book)...

Joe
ogami_itto
View Profile
New user
Aberdeen, UK
26 Posts

Profile of ogami_itto
Thanks Bob

I'll look into those! Smile

As soon as I read Card College I realised that I have loads of information - I have volumes 1-4 hehe. Ah well, any other sources are still welcome.

Things like hiding the elephant (of course that's not cards but still interesting) or phantoms of the card table would also be of interest.

Thanks again

Steve
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
You can look here:

http://www.lybrary.com/mlp/

Good luck!

Cardamagically,

Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
"The Card Magic of Nick Trost" has an appendix with many well-known sleights and credits the originator whenever possible. Trost apparently was very thorough in his research and I learned some things from his notes.
ogami_itto
View Profile
New user
Aberdeen, UK
26 Posts

Profile of ogami_itto
Many Thanks Dom & Steve

I will check out both! I havent got any Nick Trost stuff and I have been meaning to get some for ages...thanks for the excuse! Smile

Steve
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Paul Hallas has a book that deals with packet tricks called "Small, but Deadly". It has quite a bit of information.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
511 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
As far as originators of moves and effects goes, it might not be a bad idea to get some back issues of Magic Magazine from your local dealer.
When Mike Close used to run the marketplace column, the amount of information he used to include in terms of the history and crediting of effects was staggering.
You can learn a lot about the backgrounds of effects and sleights just by reading his column.
Actually, he has a downloadable version of all the marketplace columns on his website. I think it costs something like a tenner, and you will certainly learn a lot from it.

Someone might also have written a series of books JUST FOR YOU. Ask around.

Jack

EDIT

Here you go. 1400 pages of history and crediting, by a great writer. And it costs £12.21 at the current rates.

http://www.michaelclose.com/index.php?ma......cts_id=9
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
The collected editions of magic magazines offer an interesting peek into the past.
Apocalypse, Richard's Almanac, The Jinx, all those magazines have articles or editorials that are even more valuable than the tricks, to a student or lover of magic history.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
This site has loads of reference...its one of my favorite resources:

http://www.denisbehr.de/

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
837 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Another great source is THE ANNOTATED ERDNASE by Darwin Ortiz. It uses the Erdnase book as a jumping off point to detail a lot of the history for various ticks and sleights.

Also - I remember learning a lot about card magic from the various newsletters/reviews that Jeff Busby used to send to his customers as well...

Joe
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4877 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I would recommend Card College. Giobbi is a scholar who traces back sleights and routines to where the originated. He footnotes everything.

Larry
ogami_itto
View Profile
New user
Aberdeen, UK
26 Posts

Profile of ogami_itto
Thanks Everyone

I have been meaning to get the annotated erdnase for ages - love Darwin's stuff; just wish I had a 1/4 of the talent! hehe

I just bought the magician and the card sharp and looking forward to reading that. Im starting to take a little interest in the people behind the moves as well as the moves them selves.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good History Resources? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL