The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Ipod/iphone Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2227 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Our Café friend Scott Cram posted this in another forum and I thought is was a great resource for a possibly budding form of magic.

Quote:
On 2009-06-11 14:31, Scott Cram wrote:
Funny you should ask about favorite iPhone illusions. Here are my favorites.

Scott, thanks for researching this. I’ve already bought isponge from fast tricks and am looking to put together a nice little routine with my ipod touch (I do not have an iphone) for strolling. I have not tried isponge on the general public (I will on Sunday) but my 16 year old son was blown away with it!

Here is a question for anyone that would care to answer:

Concerning the tricks that are sold as ipod/iphone applications, do you think its too easy for the general public to get these? In other words, does it look too amateurish? At $1.99 pretty much anyone can get it and let me know they know the secret to my trick by the time I’m done performing at their table!

What do you think? Is anyone else using their ipod/iphone?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
You're welcome.

If someone wanted to seriously market iphone/ipod touch magic, and keep it secret, I've had a couple of ideas about how you could effectively keep it secret:

1) Price it high in the app store, so that casual buyers would balk at it, and then give a promo code to it in your book or video.
2) Price it regularly, but do not include the secret. Mention where the book/video/whatever that contains the secret is available elsewhere for another price.

Many of the iphone tricks available have been simpler ones, and many people aren't even looking for those. Note that iBeer is the only thing close to a magic......aid apps (and it's more of a prank than a magic effect).

If you're truly going to integrate an iphone/ipod touch into a professional routine, there are a couple of things I'd suggest:

1) Don't have it do all the magic.
2) Don't go the native app route. Make it a web app (there are even ways to run them offline!), a movie, or a photo.

For example, take Twisting the Aces. What if, instead of twisting the aces, you held them up to a video of someone reaching into the cards (really just underneath the screen), taking out one of the aces, turning it over, and putting it back into the deck? You then show, via the standard method, that the card really has turned over! The guy on the screen obviously couldn't have obviously done it, but there's nothing else to account for the aces having turned face up! (Wonder Words owners: See "Metaphor Restriction Violations" for more on this type of idea.)

One of the programs I mentioned in my blog post (thank you for linking it and starting this thread, BTW, Ken!) is QuickCal, a calendar program that simply helps you look up days of the week for any date. If you do the day of the week for any date feat, this is very handy as a reference. If someone asks, you can tell them the name, they can download it if they wish, and they'll find that it's not part of the secret! This can actually be more mystifying. (Come to think of it, due to the usually bulky means of verifying the date, this hasn't been really usable as a table-hopping/strolling trick until now.)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's another interesting idea for iPhone magic that I haven't yet seen exploited.

When you order directly from the Apple Store, they offer free engraving. Since the engraving is there, but nobody really notices it, this could be great as a prediction!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I think anytime you use a prop like the iphone, the technology becomes the magic and not the magic itself. Its too easy for laymen to say "oh its a special software app"...

I think technology items like this tend to dull down the effect, or moprh into "a cute tech trick".
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2227 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-06-22 13:23, mmreed wrote:
I think anytime you use a prop like the iphone, the technology becomes the magic and not the magic itself. Its too easy for laymen to say "oh its a special software app"...

I think technology items like this tend to dull down the effect, or moprh into "a cute tech trick".

This may be why Scott and I are the only ones who seem to have any interest in these ideas and I agree with you to an extent. However, I tried a few of these out at a steady restaurant of mine and I can now report to you that they are a hit, with all ages! In fact, one table I approached last night, of folks in their 50’s and 60’s, all had their ipones out taking pictures, etc, so it was a perfect lead in. “Hey, I'd like to show you a new application that I got. Its called icash…..” I really got a strong reaction from them. They loved it! And with kids it’s a natural.

I did icash, isponge, and icard. Each of these require some magical skill. They are sold at magictricks.com, NOT as an application on iphone, which I hope will keep them out of the hands of the general public.

While I admit they would not be in my top five favorites, at an average of $10 per trick, they are the best money if have spent in a long time and will be a nice addition to my repertoire.
www.KenNorthridge.com
Zack Smith
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Zack Smith
Great idea on the engraving.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Don't forget that the PK ring opens some great moves with most iphone/blackberry type phones.

Bob Johnston
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 22:22, Bob Johnston wrote:
Don't forget that the PK ring opens some great moves with most iPhone/blackberry type phones.

Bob Johnston

You're evil ....
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2227 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-06-27 22:22, Bob Johnston wrote:
Don't forget that the PK ring opens some great moves with most iphone/blackberry type phones.

Bob Johnston

Bob,

You have magnetized me with that statement. Smile Can you expand upon it a little?

By the way, I tried the above mentioned effects at an outdoor walk around yesterday and they did not go over very well. With the brightness of the day light it was hard for the audience to see the screen. Also, they are not for large audiences, 3 or 4 at the most. Again because it is hard for the audience to see the screen.

In short, I’m finding some limitations, but in the right situation they are really are fun.
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Ken:
I will PM you as this is an open forum and I do not want to move it to the Secret Sessions.

Bob
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
There is a very nice set of dice by MotionX. Allowing the spectator to shake the iPod/iPhone to roll the dice and finding his selection at the requested number would not put heat on the phone.

Likewise, writing a prediction in notes with his name as the title and handing it to him would not be "about" the technology.
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
A mental epic type effect could be done on the notepad.

Matt
Matt Simonsen
allinking17
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of allinking17
I have a icoinpredict and I love it! It was free too
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
748 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Mojosoftwareonline.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
One problem with methods. When a non-magician stumbles across a method, even if it isn't used in the specific effect, they say, I know how it's done. Someone I know was convinced that David Copperfield's Flying was done with magnets. No discussion or demonstration of magnets would change his mind.

Similar this with trick cards.

An iPhone or iPod is just a computer. Folks with iPhones can see what hand held computers can do and I predict that sooner or later, the "it's a computer" explanation will remove the mystery from iPhone based magic. I believe that you won't be able to rely on any mystery around the iPhone and will have to draw the entertainment and mystery elsewhere.

Having said this, I heard a good bit of magic on a podcast that used a smart-phone and email to make a card prediction. The secret was in the technology, but the handling was such that no one would suspect that was the case.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
564 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I think that the only way to make the iPhone magic look different from "computer magic" is using it as a prop with real objects. I really like the Magic Wallet effect because it feels magical and it's clearly not a computer based effect where the iPhone does all the magic. I am thinking to another similar trick with cards, and I am going to download the SDK and try to develop it. I will keep you posted for ideas and suggestions. The idea is removing from the iPhone a selected card choosen and signed by the spectator, showing the hands empty before removing it, and keeping the iPhone in your hands and far away from the deck.
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Quote:
I did icash, isponge, and icard. Each of these require some magical skill. They are sold at magictricks.com, not as an application on iPhone,

Ken,
I couldn't find those on the site, any further guidance as to where or how to order?
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
David Stone's "Cell" (converts your cellphone battery into a Card in Matchbox-type gimmick), works with my Nokia, but I'm not sure it would work with an iPhone. Is the battery compartment easily accessible?
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Quote:
Don't go the native app route. Make it a web app (there are even ways to run them offline!), a movie, or a photo.

Could you elaborate on this?

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 11:02pm
-------------------------------
Ok, I found these. Scott, your blog is the best resource I've found on all of this. Thanks.

Quote:
I did icash, isponge, and icard. Each of these require some magical skill. They are sold at magictricks.com, not as an application on iPhone,

Ken,
I couldn't find those on the site, any further guidance as to where or how to order?
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2009-08-02 20:33, Douglas.M wrote:
David Stone's "Cell" (converts your cellphone battery into a Card in Matchbox-type gimmick), works with my Nokia, but I'm not sure it would work with an iPhone. Is the battery compartment easily accessible?

NO it wont work with an IPhone because there is no detachable battery compartment! However, as mentioned in this thread already, there are many other fantastic tricks that can be done e.g I Sensor and the new David Blaine application.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Ipod/iphone Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL