The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Diplopia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicwanabe
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of magicwanabe
Hello! I just started working on PV's diplopia -- an AMAZING effect but too darn difficult for me to feel comfortable with yet. Without giving anything away, during the selection of the color, why not add a little more direction with an extra line "and I did not choose a face card". That would greatly speed up the main process of the trick because there would be no K,Q or J to consider. I don't think this would detract from the overall effect, but I am wondering what the "pros" think... thanks!
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Magicwanabe,

Ever since I met Paul back when I used to live in Vegas, and then I bought this from him, I have been performing it ever since.
People over here in Mexico call it the Diabolical Card Trick, because they feel as if for some reason I sold my soul to the devil.....in spanish its called
EL DIABOLICO.......it has gotten me a reputation status with this one effect, and I know a lot of effects.

I don't think it matters about the K, Q, J, and if you PM ME I will explain why, and also , the way that I perform it.

I don't think its very difficult at all, my record time is 15 sec, and even Aaron De Long was impressed when I met him at a Columbus Magic Shop!

PM ME

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Great effect, but their are a couple of easier ways to perform it.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 08:51, Oyama wrote:

Ah, of course there are, but what are the trade-offs?

I can think of an easier way to do almost anything, but there are always trade-offs. Nobody can tell you when the trade-offs overtake the "ease" factor, as that is something you have to figure out for yourself but to simply say "their (sic) are a couple of easier ways" is a bit...uh... misleading. I'll leave you with a single example that should communicate the point: one...way...deck
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
527 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
I believe this effect is designed to get the best reactions using a borrowed deck. Otherwise, I could also think of a few diff ways to make it easier using my own deck.

the more you practice, the quicker you'll get.
It occured to me at once that love could be a great illusion, that makes fools of brilliant thinkers everyday
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 12:47, Lemniscate wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 08:51, Oyama wrote:

Ah, of course there are, but what are the trade-offs?

I can think of an easier way to do almost anything, but there are always trade-offs. Nobody can tell you when the trade-offs overtake the "ease" factor, as that is something you have to figure out for yourself but to simply say "their (sic) are a couple of easier ways" is a bit...uh... misleading. I'll leave you with a single example that should communicate the point: one...way...deck

Spot on Lem. Doesn't mean we should all run around trying to perform ultra hard stuff though, important to stay well within ones capabilities in performance.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
For sure, Al, for sure. That's that line I was talking about. I've seen some amazing sleight of hand artists who can replicate gaffs with just a normal deck and their own hands. However, maybe 25 years of practice isn't worth it when you can buy, say, an Ultra Mental Deck. Esp. if the deck is never examined by the audience.

It's all about what you want to do, within the constraints in which you want/need to perform.

Al's post reminded me of something I sometimes take for granted: being slightly nervous gives a lot of people an edge that helps them perform. That's great. However, you also need to have confidence in what you do, it adds to the environment (regardless of whether your character is smooth or a bit of a bumbler). If an effect is too difficult, find another way or work on it.

In other, much clearer and succint, words see Al's post above.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Al, Lem you guys hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Diplopia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL