The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk 2 Egg - help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I always perform silk to egg in my stand up shows and it is one of my favourite effects, however, I am interested in how people get into this effect. When I started out performing this effect I would have the eggs in my pockets and that worked fine until one day I put my hand in my pocket to find a broken egg. Since then I have been going to my case, but I am trying to eliminate going to my case too much because as much as possible I like to work out of my pockets.

I would appreciate some advice on how to keep this in my pocket safe until I am ready to perform it!

Thanks in advance!
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Often I cheat! I keep the real egg in a kid's plastic Easter egg that stays in the coat pocket.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks for your reply Bob.

How do you remove the egg from the plastic easter egg in your pocket? Can you do that with one hand?

Thanks again.
Click here
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is not snapped closed but it is nearly closed. The thumb just flips the top off and the egg rolls out. (The top is hinged to the bottom of the plastic egg. It is a one-piece plastic egg.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I think my plastic eggs came from Dollar Tree but any plastic egg large enough to hold the egg is fine.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks Bob,

I have a plastic egg, so I will give that a try!

Best
Click here
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1670 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Aussie Magic-

I too perform this hundreds of times in cabarets, Clubs & Stage shows & have written here many times on this great effect.

I load the real egg with red gimmick (viking magic version) during my show 1-2 effects earlier than when I present silk to egg- as I am putting something away etc or audience is applauding a member up or down on stage etc-a lull moment in other words-it is sitting in an open case on stage & It works so well for the load that takes about a second, I always have 2 made up in case of accidents but have never used the spare gimmicked egg this way

I too once & once only ended up with a broken egg in my pocket so load it later in the programme.

This is one of the standout routines in the large theatres we play as a pack small play big item-hence the white eggs we use for visibility! The switch takes place in a my pocket -again less than a second-have it down to a tee with having performed it so often

I introduce the routine as a break in the show to teach the audience a trick themselves to show family & friends etc etc -its comical & plays well for lay audiences....

Cheers
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
If you do the trick as a teach a trick routine at the end. You can get away with loading the egg almost in front of your audiance. Just have the gimmic egg already in your pocket, if anyone sees you going to your pocket to load the egg its not a big deal.
They think they saw you do something funny, when you get to the part where you explain the trick these same audiance members will just think oh that was the gimmic egg he put in his pocket earlier.

By the time you crack the egg open to show its real the audiance has forgotten the load all togeather.

The advantage here with the sucker trick is you can get away with a lot because you are showing them how its done, or they think! so you have lots of cover to blatantly do your moves.
-Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1670 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 09:50, aceofharts wrote:
If you do the trick as a teach a trick routine at the end. You can get away with loading the egg almost in front of your audiance. Just have the gimmic egg already in your pocket, if anyone sees you going to your pocket to load the egg its not a big deal.
They think they saw you do something funny, when you get to the part where you explain the trick these same audiance members will just think oh that was the gimmic egg he put in his pocket earlier.

By the time you crack the egg open to show its real the audiance has forgotten the load all togeather.

The advantage here with the sucker trick is you can get away with a lot because you are showing them how its done, or they think! so you have lots of cover to blatantly do your moves.
-Floyd

Very well said-Agree totally with Floyd

Its amazing what you can actually get away with!

aussie magic-try it next time you will be surprised!!!

cheers
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I don't know if anyone else does this or not, but at the end right before I break the egg I steal a TT with a diamond cut silk (same color that I use with the fake egg) loaded in it. With the real egg I move the egg from one hand to the other so I can transfer the TT to the other hand along with the egg and then I pull out the silk from the TT the audience believes that it is coming from the fake egg that you showed them. I then place it back into the TT and move the egg and TT back into the other hand so I can steal away the TT as I show them them the dot on the egg one more time I ditch the TT and then pull off the dot and break the egg. It really adds to the WOW effect because they just saw you pull the silk out of the egg and place it back in the egg and the egg stays right in front of their eyes the whole time. It sounds really difficult but it really is easy to do after you play with it a little while. Also instead of using a sticky dot I cut out an oval from an old silk the same size of the hole in the fake egg and put it on with double sided tape. You can use it over and over again and it looks real even close up because it is a real piece of silk. Give it a try and I think that you will like it.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1670 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2009-06-30 05:36, markofmagic wrote:
I don't know if anyone else does this or not, but at the end right before I break the egg I steal a TT with a diamond cut silk (same color that I use with the fake egg) loaded in it. With the real egg I move the egg from one hand to the other so I can transfer the TT to the other hand along with the egg and then I pull out the silk from the TT the audience believes that it is coming from the fake egg that you showed them. I then place it back into the TT and move the egg and TT back into the other hand so I can steal away the TT as I show them them the dot on the egg one more time I ditch the TT and then pull off the dot and break the egg. It really adds to the WOW effect because they just saw you pull the silk out of the egg and place it back in the egg and the egg stays right in front of their eyes the whole time. It sounds really difficult but it really is easy to do after you play with it a little while. Also instead of using a sticky dot I cut out an oval from an old silk the same size of the hole in the fake egg and put it on with double sided tape. You can use it over and over again and it looks real even close up because it is a real piece of silk. Give it a try and I think that you will like it.

Great to see you using this idea but even easier idea from that you may wish to think about!!

You can eliminate the need for doing the move twice by simply vanishing the red silk into the TT
while holding the real egg-Plays just as strong & keeps the handling simple

Load the TT which is in your pocket when you demo keeping the second silk hidden etc

I have used this move for years in many events & shows and its clean & simple & works well

Cheers
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
450 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I think that we are talking about the same thing. Maybe I just didn't explain it well enough.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
To avoid going to the pocket for the real egg, I often use a cloth Egg Dropper. It allows me to keep the pocket available for other things. (Then I have no reason for going to that pocket either! There are many options for ditching the other egg.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Our new model cloth Egg Dropper will also work for a deck of cards!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22139 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I sometimes use Abbott's Gung Gimmick as a dropper.

I also once reached into my pocket and was very surprised. They all wondered why I could not stop laughing.

As for a reason, I reach for a wand, you can use any prop you have to take in the open.

I have used for 30 years Goshman's Wobbly Sponge Wand. It always gets a laugh. I love using it, a real winner for this effect. It is so good for me that I purchased a dozen to have them, just in case Goshman Products stopped making them.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Perform it as Duane Laflin out of it's own box.....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Soon those plastic Easter eggs will be available again in stores. Get a few. You'll be surprised how many uses you will find for them.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1791 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In regard to the plastic Easter eggs--at one time on the market there was one that featured half the plastic egg (the half that had the hole in it) sealed shut at the end opposite the hole. That way you could load the contents of a real egg into the bottom half. When performing, the silk is pushed into the sealed top half. Then the egg could be broken open just like cracking an egg and the contents dumped into a glass. You would want an Easter egg that is colored eggshell white, of course. (I think the marketed egg actually included a plastic yellow yolk.)

The idea of a plastic egg loaded with the contents of a real egg was also published in the old _Magic Handbook_ published back in the 60's by Science and Mechanices, I think.
----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think Dollar Tree has something like that now in the toy section. I bought one but have not played with it yet. From the looks, it is hardly convincing.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- What I really liked was the clear plastic egg that encases it. It should hold a real egg safely in transport and you can see it. You can't see through the colored plastic eggs I usually use. But you get over a dozen for a dollar!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22139 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-11-30 17:35, Bob Sanders wrote:
To avoid going to the pocket for the real egg, I often use a cloth Egg Dropper. It allows me to keep the pocket available for other things. (Then I have no reason for going to that pocket either! There are many options for ditching the other egg.)
Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
PS --- Our new model cloth Egg Dropper will also work for a deck of cards!

A few days ago I became the lucky owner of Bob Sanders Egg Dropper . I must say, it is a totally innovative device and can work with other objects as Bob has mentioned previously.

He has applied several ideas that no one has used before in such a device. I like the instant ability to reset the size to any egg you may be using. Mother Nature is not always consistent in providing exact duplicates.

It is big enough to hold 2 eggs, thus having one available for another egg effect if you desire. The material is of the latest offerings in material, not the old cotton material so many manufacturers use as in the old days, but the new fabrics of the 21 century.

I have been doing the Silk to Egg for over 40 years. I always used the pocket, but personally wanted a more magical appearance to the effect, thus eliminating the need of going to the pocket.

As mentioned previously, I used the Abbott's Gung gimmick on occasion, but always worried of it prematurely releasing. With Bob's excellent dropper, all the worry is eliminated and thus the nerves can quiet on one less thing before and during the show.

If you do the Silk to Egg and want to make your presentation a little smoother and magical for your audiences, I strongly recommend contacting Bob Sanders for this dropper. Highly recommended!!
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4353 Posts

Profile of videoman
Is there a website to order Bob's egg dropper?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is no website but I nearly live on the Magic Café.

Bob
SilkMagic@DoveLite.com
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk 2 Egg - help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL