The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Nesting Wands (a funny disaster) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
If you uses the nesting wants in your show .I would recommend putting some crazy glue around the clear piece at the top of the wand .I had the clear piece fall out and did not know that it happened.As you can all guess I had wands everywhere.It was funny and everyone laughed but the routine was cut very short to about five seconds.Also please let it dry before you put it back together.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Bernie, I had a similar funny disaster yesterday at a Pre-School. My parrot was going to eat my "dragon snot" plant, then we'd fix it by magic, a kid helping, the parrot being a nuisance. The big finale was going to be Squawk (my parrot) producing a huge botania.
Now, I'm familiar with the basic routine, but I rarely use the Botania. As I worked the routine, I realised that I needed to pull it forward slightly so that it could open properly. So right after my parrot ate the flower (which was sitting on the botania, which looks like a magic table), I picked the flower up, looked at it in disgust, and placed it on my other table. Then, as I tried to move the botania forward, the flowers suddenly appeared! Aaaagh! Of course, I had to react to the production, and immediately praised Squawk for his cleverness. Then, I turned to the Flito Flower, to try to resurrect the routine, and saw that in my haste to move it, I'd made that flower appear, too! It really waas a case of "magician doesn't see".
Luckily, I have a few spare routines I can always use, so was snookered into ending my show with a back-up.
All good fun, though! I already have some ideas fomenting from that experience. Likewise, the idea of the magi dropping loads of wands everywhere sounds very funny.....
Potty Smile
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2009-06-20 16:56, Bernie Balloons wrote:
If you uses the nesting wants in your show .I would recommend putting some crazy glue around the clear piece at the top of the wand .I had the clear piece fall out and did not know that it happened.As you can all guess I had wands everywhere.It was funny and everyone laughed but the routine was cut very short to about five seconds.Also please let it dry before you put it back together.
oh yeah had that happen before. And when the glue breaks be prepared to just tape it. good luck
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I've actually tried replacing missing wand caps with that
Billy Mays "Super Putty" -- and it works pretty well.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I actually love when this stuff happens. I call them happy Accidents. To me the happy accidents in ways can be better then what I had originally planned. I am always open to these types of things happening.

instead of viewing it as an accident, I try and see how the audience reacts to it. In many ways the reactions are huge. if this is the case, then perhaps instead of fixing it so it does not happen again, I do the reverse. I try and rig up ways in which to make it happen all the time.

The bottom line for me is entertainment value. If I can get more reactions Per Minute (what I call the RPM principle) then that is what I am going to do. If the reactions can be even bigger, then I seek those out as well.

I think too many magicians become blinded. what I mean is that we create a set routine and we tend to stick with it no matter what. We often see mistakes as mistakes and not as golden opportunities that may add to the routine.

To me a routine is never ever finished. it gets to a point where I feel it is ready to perform for an audience. however, it is always evolving and adapting to situations that come up. Sometimes these situations are accidents as described in this post. sometimes they are funny things people say or do.

I have trained myself to always be tuned in to these. I allow myself to improv off of these situations and then guage the reactions I get. I have had a nest of wands cap come off and the wands go all over the place before. I thinbk it happens to many folks. However, my facial expressions and the reaction of the helper was prescious. The audience went nuts and that led me into impovisation.

I started to pick up the wands and hand them to the helper. As I go to hand it to the child I drop it accidentally but do not see it. I think the child has them all and I look down and they are all still on the ground. It is a classic "see and don't see principle" but it got a huge reaction.

I then proceed to try it again but acidentally allow the biggest wand to drop on my foot cuasing me to react appropriately. I can then go right into the classic move of giving the kid the wands. It just happens differently. the child still ends up with a wand in each hand and under the arms and under his chin.

In essence this "accident" became something far greater then Kelly and I had planned for the routine. Instead of trying to fix the accident from happening again, we left it in the routine so it happens every time. If we fixed the problem, we would never have realized the potential this accidnet had for making the routine better and more entertaining for an audience.

So what I am saying is do not always try and fix things you feel are broken. Sometimes these happy accidents are truely blessings in disguise. When they happen learn to play off of them. Guage the response you get and evaluate it after the show. Perhaps this accident played better then what you had scripted.

This evalution of a routine is what I feel can be the "real" magic.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Magic4u02 I agree with you 110% on happy accidents but not knowing the cap fell off I grabbed the wrong end.The wands flew every where not just on the floor next to me (yes I have done that once or twice)I dance a little when I have them and my arms were flailing about and they rocketed across the room.In retrospect it could of hit somebody but I got lucky.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Quote:
On 2009-06-21 14:07, Bernie Balloons wrote:
Magic4u02 I agree with you 110% on happy accidents but not knowing the cap fell off I grabbed the wrong end.The wands flew every where not just on the floor next to me (yes I have done that once or twice)I dance a little when I have them and my arms were flailing about and they rocketed across the room.In retrospect it could of hit somebody but I got lucky.

my vision of this is priceless. Sorry this happened but thanks for the laugh!!!

Mike Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Bernie,

I totaly hear you there. Glad no one got hurt and you handeled it very well. But if contained, it could be a very funny bit. It just has to fit your routine and what you want to do. My main point is that toomany entertainers overlook happy accidents instead of seeing if they can be placed and used in their rotuines to make them better. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13366 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Same thing happened to me but not during a show.
sounds funny.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5710 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The nesting wands that I own are split plastic tubes, so there's some tension there so the wands grip each other.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Nesting Wands (a funny disaster) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL