The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Visual Coin Visitor? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Some card tricks can be adapted to coin conjuring. For example a half dollar touching few English pennies and so changing them into half dollars lets the coin guys play with the wildcard plot. Taking that theme - let's look at Larry Jennings Visitor.

Four english pennies are introduced, paired and set aside in two pairs. A silver coin is introduced and can be marked or selected from a bunch of half dollars. The silver coin is placed between one pair of english pennies and held at the fingertips of your left hand. The other two english pennies are shown and held at the fingertips of your right hand. At this point the silver coin makes a visit to your right hand (between the english pennies there) and then back to the left hand.

Those of you who have a Blasted or sun/moon coin at the read are likely all set to start exploring. For a starter routine I suggest stealing out the insert early and doing a switch of the real marked coin on the way over inserting the insert between the ] and the real on to set up the vanish.

The premise and routine are open for your explorations at this point.

Would you try using a c/s gaff instead and square the coin rather than keep them in fanned display?
How would you present the trick?
How would you handle the the coin appearance (let's say you are not 100 percent up on Bertini's slight done under fire for now)
Would you use this same to set the coins down and then get the reverse to happen?
Would you put the coins under a cup or into a volunteer's hand and do the appear/vanish at your fingertips instead?
Would you consider using two sun/moon coins to do the entire trick without worry of sleights and recover the actual marked coin to bring it into play after?

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
Pearls before swine, I'm afraid, Jonathan.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8839 Posts

Profile of funsway
It is possible to perform this without any Gaffed coins, if you will allow:

"in between" means the silver is on top of one copper and under the other in any display, not necessarily 'tightly sandwiched'; and that 'finger tips' can be interpreted as 'across the fingers'.

and, that the opening of the hands need not be synchronous, i.e. the hand with two coins is displayed first, and then the triple -- not both at the same time.

You did not specify whether each hand is closed over the coins, or if the stack is inverted and placed on the table with the fingers on top. The former is better for me, but the latter is possible with different sleights.

I would have an assortment of coins on a tray and ask a spectator select the coins; two copper for the left stack, then two copper for the right. Then I would pick these up and display in the fingers and allow him to insert the a silver between the two copper in the left hand. Thus, no marking of the coin is required. I would then close my two hands into fists, re-open and show the transition with my thumb spreading the coins apart, or by shaking them apart. Then I would do the transition the other way, display, and drop the coins on the table for all to play with.

Using two bowls I would visibly drop the coins one at a time into separate bowls, then tip them over onto the table for each display -- also doable with sleights alone, but a couple of gaffs might make it easier.

I have not met Mr. Bertini and don't know if I would use him as an assistant or not. I played with this for a half-hour this morning using a couple of sleights from my 'HandFull' ShareBook, but might add some other refinements later today.

Thanks for the idea seed -- I may add it to my pending eBook 'In Touch' as an expansion of the sleights -- might even call it the "Towns End Subtlety"

One advantage I see is that after performing this effect with everything natural and handled by spectators, any later employment of a CS or SM would go off without a hitch.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Two coin boxes, 4 coppers, 1 silver could do the work without gaffs.

However, you could make this a cleaner transposition with an extra silver coin. Have spec sign one side, magician signs the other. Roth click pass steal signed coin out of between 2 copper coins that go in Box 1. Box 2 has 2 coppers with silver coin added in-between (unbeknownst to specs) and this coin is signed on both sides by magician.

Show Box 1 with only 2 coppers. Show Box 2 with 2 coppers and silver in-between. Switch silver for confirmation of signatures.

This is more like Harris' "Grasshopper" effect than visitor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

I don't understand how going from fingertips to inside coin boxes makes the trick more visual. If you want to use boxes and make the trick happen under cover a rattlebox type gaff would probably do wonders. Any interest in doing the trick at the fingertips?
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Oh, didn't realize there was a fingertip requirement. Sorry but I don't see how it would be the least bit deceptive at the fingertips, but maybe I need to see what other ideas are out there. Jenning's Visitor is not visual. Again, this is more synonomous with Grasshopper, but not a big deal.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Hi Doug,

Yes this about visual fingertip or at least semi-visual transits (one side visual).

As best I recall the Harris trick was a derivative of Jennings item.

In the Jennings handling - at least what I was shown long long and then pointed to Expert Card Mysteries - after you put the selection between two of the queens and into the first packet - has you handling the other two queens - where a card appears between them, is displayed in place, yet when you flip the packet face up the selection has vanished - then you go back to that packet set aside and spread it to show the face up queens and let them turn over the face down card between.

What I was doing back then was essentially making the face up card appear between the two face down cards under cover of a grab and place gesture with the innocent hand and then going back to the tabled small packet to talk about the illusion, and after squaring them up and flipping them over - thumbing off the top card to reveal ... just the other queen - the selection is gone -

so - that got me thinking about having a coin appear between two others - or vanish - and thanks to the gaff that's pretty easy.

I hope this gets the idea of treating the trick as open visual display across - sorry if this reads as a little vague - it's in open sessions here and not okay to tip the methodology of Jennings' trick.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8839 Posts

Profile of funsway
Yes, it is a very fine "visual effect" and highly deceptive. Inspired by Jonathan's "seed" I practiced using four Quarters and a Penny since these could be borrowed for an impromptu effect. After some insufficient practice I performed this three times for various persons. The impact was dramatic. I added an ending after the second transposition. I drop the two coins in the right hand on the table while displayind the three in the left. Then I take the sandwich and place it in a spectator's hand while showing both of mine to be empty. When the spectator opens her hand only the pair of matched coins remains. The other is discovered lying between the two on the table.

Thanks for the idea Jonathan.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Visual Coin Visitor? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL