We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » My favorite Talker... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Nope, although I can now do long division with a caculator
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2009-06-22 14:26, Magicman97 wrote:
And the great voice of Wayne Kaiser(Ross M) is always a pleasure to hear. he does a terrific job with those grind tapes on his ballycast Cd. GET one if you don't have it.

Awfully nice of you, but I'm helpless without a script in front of me. The real pro's would leave me in the dust.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Wayne:

I don't agree !!!! Your bally for EEKA is one of the best I ever heard . ANYWHERE!!! You are a PRO ..Your work is first class,... always!!!

ROD
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Well I'm partial to Ward Hall and C.M. Christ (Neandro-Man!) I have also heard Marshall Brodein do a really good pitch for the reversable girl. I have to agree with the Curator, no one puts up a tent like Jimmy Long they don't. LOL!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2009-06-24 17:14, Magicman97 wrote:
Hello Wayne:

I don't agree !!!! Your bally for EEKA is one of the best I ever heard . ANYWHERE!!! You are a PRO ..Your work is first class,... always!!!

ROD

Rod, God bless ya, but that bally is a long way from original ... I just thought the one in all the books needed some trimming down.

But maybe people could comment on this (and truly, I'm not trying to 'put on airs.') Many of you already know the (authentic vintage grind tape) segment on my 'Bally' CD where some bored guy seems to be fighting off sleep mumbling (with as little energy as a human can exhibit) "Alive. Alive. Alive." (Absolutely no italics or exclamation points deserved). And Scott Warmuth just alerted me to a web page that plays a few minutes of a grind tape that drew 'em in to Hubert's Museum on Times Square in days gone by ... hear it HERE. And when I heard it, my impression was that it was loaded with vintage flavor, but any one of us (certainly anyone who has ever spent 5 minutes on a stage) could give a more compelling delivery in their sleep. How this tape attracted anything like the crowd the owners hoped for, I can't imagine.

Am I missing something here?

AND YET... there are two cuts on the CD that feature "tiny animal" ballys, and the talkers make no effort to dramatize the attractions, these people could be your next door neighbors from the farm down the road a piece, but I find the appeals quite magnetic. I'd pay to see Tiny Cappy, the horse too small for even a child to ride ... nobody claims it's the weirdest or most extreme, but they sure convinced me that the animal is so cute I've just got to buy a ticket and go in.

Discuss?
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Here's another Shot of C.M. playin around...My Girlfreind shot this unique shot of C.M. at the Florida State Fair....

Click here to view attached image.
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kevin Gerrone
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gerrone
Gotta love the sunglasses on that pic Jim!
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
He's SO dreamy in those Foster Grants.

And has anyone notices that as Christ is getting older he is looking more and more like P.T. Barnum?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Barnum's quite a bit moldier, at this stage.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-07-01 13:40, Harley Newman wrote:
Barnum's quite a bit moldier, at this stage.

That's debatable.

And while we are on the topic of talking, I did a grind recording for Sideshows by the Seashore. It is a bit goofy because Dick Zigun wanted a train whistle in the thing. I took the idea from there, added in a bunch of sound effects, band organ music and the sound of Laffin' Sal. It cuts through all the din out there and has made some coin for the show. It is a blind grind in that no specific acts are pitched. If you email me at coneyislandtodd@aol.com I will send it to you. So there.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Can I have a Helicopter...or maybe a Fire Engine instead?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2009-07-01 16:02, Doug Higley wrote:
Can I have a Helicopter...or maybe a Fire Engine instead?

For you Doug...anything.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

HEY! I just recieved Todd's Pitch...Its EXCELLENT!....If you want a "Boot-Leg" copy and don't want to suck-up to Todd...Send $9.99 to The Curator (prompt Delivery)....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
There is a local magician who has a great voice. He used to pack his shows just by shouting. He went to other peoples' shows and had this booming laugh that made people come see them too.
He was a fantastic Hawker, but a terrible performer.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Speaking of Outside Talkers, where did the term, "Barker" come from? Smile
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Dpe666...Barker?, it came from Bob, He is a Tree Hugger that Hosted a semi-popular Game show...I am waiting so I can send Flowers....
Evel Knievel

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I've heard a few stories of where the term barker came from.

I believe Todd has done a fair amount of research on this. Hopefully he'll weigh in on this.

I've always heard that it was kinda created by journalists, to describe what the talker was doing. I've also heard that "barker" was on old carny word for dog.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2434 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The term "barking" was an everyday word in the early 20th Century to describe the rhythmic spoken come-ons of street vendors (who were quite common in that day). "Come on we got tomatoes today girls, a tisket a tasket, I sell them by the basket." Used primarily by vendors at a stationary spot, such as a vegetable stand or the doorway to a show (perhaps most recently heard from the doorways of Times Square sex shows.) It's easy to see how the general public applied the term to the carnival talker.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I couldn't find anything fun about the entymology.

"the English word barker
derived from the English word bark
derived from the Proto-Germanic root *berkanan
using the English suffix -er
derived from the Proto-Germanic root *-arjaz
using the Latin suffix -arius (-ar)"
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There are those who bark,
those who woof and a few
who yip and yap.
But I'd rather be a talker
'cause a barker's full of crap.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » My favorite Talker... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL