The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card sleight reference, please! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Gentlemen,

I once saw R. Paul Wilson force(?) the bottom card of a face down deck by seemingly turning the top card over while slipping the bottom card out along with that top card and rotating both as a single card. Very smooth!

Can anyone please help with a reference (book or otherwise) for this sleight? Perhaps you might have seen it elsewhere? I'd love to learn it as a force for when a spectator stops the magician as he places face down cards on the spectator's palm.

Kostya Kimlat performs a similar sleight in a recent DanandDave.com download called UNDERCOVER SWITCH, but the card does not come from the deck's bottom, and this makes his sleight a little easier to perform.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :O)!
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
WHAT!!!???? I thought I came up with that?????? I independently came up on my own the exact same thing (although this was definitely after he came up with it). Oh well, my hopes of becoming a world renowned card mechanic because of that one sleight are over now Smile

Although I came up with it on my own, I was inspired by the Double Deal from Ed Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique. It's very similar, just instead of dealing the card onto the table, I turned it face up on top of the deck.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
The double deal itself is old (two methods are described in Expert Card Technique), and R Paul Wilson tips his own work on using it as a turnover on his L&L DVDs (or so he said when I contacted him regarding a similar move). The best I've ever seen it done is by Tyler Erickson, who's not published his own work on it, although he's shared it with a few of his students.

For print resources, go here...

http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/rout......,130,613

(You'll have to copy and paste the entire line as the commas cut off the URL)
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
The longer I'm at this and the more I study the old works the more MY independent discoveries become recognized as old school! It's still pretty cool when you realize that you're on track with some pretty great thinkers!

I've been watching the Vernon Revelations DVD set lately and I'm proud to say I sure taught the Professor a lot even before I was born! Smile

MMc
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Check out the works of Jerry Sadowitz,he has many tricks and teaches the move,along with many other fine card tricks Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
On Dante King'sPractical Methods he details "his(?)" version of the sleight. He called it the Pinch Double Deal and it pretty much had to be done with a thinnish packet.
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
On Dante King'sPractical Methods he details "his(?)" version of the sleight. He called it the Pinch Double Deal and it pretty much had to be done with a thinnish packet.
Hassan
View Profile
New user
Cairo,Egypt
59 Posts

Profile of Hassan
The Goodwin switch comes to mind.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Although I don't have Vernon Revelation DVD, I guess he was talking about Nate Leipzig method to turn over the top card and a card in middle of the deck together. I read about it in a book, but forgot the name of the book.

There are several related sleights using this principle of turning over selected card and a known card together to force the known card. One is Tenkai Addition which I have described in Magic CafE Another is Michael Close's Double Lift in one of his Worker seriese.

Based on Leipzig version I independently devised a packet version and used it in 'Oil & Water in Tokyo Bay', and published in it in my book "Card Magic Kenkyu" in 1971.

Hideo Kato
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Thank you friends,

All answers thus far have been appreciated, and have encouraged my learning of the sleight!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card sleight reference, please! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL