The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Card warp exposed... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Anyone have problems with card warp being exposed? I went looking for a clip of Eugene Burger doing card warp, I've seen him do this live and wanted to check out a few details, and ran across quite a few videos exposing. A few were actually pretty good tutorials on how to do the effect.

I don't have a dazzling presentation which will be so entertaining that it will overcome someone knowing how it works. So what to do? Is it an issue? Maybe since it has a little bit of an obscure name that most folks won't know about it?
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
I perform this effect often, and have done so for more than 30 years. I've never run into anyone who has even seen it performed before... let alone, who knows how it works.

So... after reading your disclaimer, I'll bet you'll never run into a problem with this trick. It always kills!

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
You'd have to know what the trick is called before you can look for the video... Laymen usually have no clue what effects are called unless you tell them, which is a bad idea at all sorts of different levels.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I've only had folks know how I did something because of sloppy handling on my part, i.e., I flashed something. I was just concerned about it with all of the exposure on youtube. I've read stories here on The Café about people knowing things.

Yeah, I'll make sure to never call it card warp. That should help in general. The only thing that I call out by name is the "Chinese Linking Rings" and that's because I can do a few Asian jokes (I'm Japanese).
Marty Sasaki

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Frank A. Glastone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Frank A. Glastone
Ive never come across anyone in performance who points out they have seen it before etc, I mean they'd need to know the name to look it up, or at least put in a fair amount of effort, which thankfully many are not willing to do.
martin1025
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of martin1025
I also have never come across a person who knew this effect. However I would also recommend checking out "Warp 2" by Bruce Cervon. It's is very clever and it will fool many who know the original card warp.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Martin1025,

Could you please describe the effect of Warp 2 and how it's different than the original (of course, without getting into any secret exposure on this thread.)

Thanx,
Dave
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Bill Goodwin's "Siamese Twins" is a 3 phase, single card Card Warp that IMO will debunk even those in the know!

MMc
martin1025
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of martin1025
MagikDavid,

Warp 2 basically uses a dollar bill for a cover instead of a card. This version allows freedom to open the bill and to actually show that the entire card turns over many times during the routine. The final phase allows the spectator to hold onto the bill and the card and the card turns over once again. At the end you are left with 3 pieces instead of 2. This time you can really give those 3 pieces out for them to keep without having to worry about them ever figuring out.

Jose
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Thanks Martin1025,

Sounds interesting... I'll check it out.

Dave
DFHicks
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DFHicks
Check out Ken Krenzels version on his Card Classics series
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Ik think it was on one of the Paul Harris DVD's that I saw the effect done, but the cards were stapled with a staplemachine. It was a nice add-on to the effect.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2009-06-24 17:13, MickeyPainless wrote:
Bill Goodwin's "Siamese Twins" is a 3 phase, single card Card Warp that IMO will debunk even those in the know!

MMc

Indeed a nice twist, especially to perform at the magic club where all the guys know the classic effect.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-06-28 07:58, Waterloophai wrote:
Ik think it was on one of the Paul Harris DVD's that I saw the effect done, but the cards were stapled with a staplemachine. It was a nice add-on to the effect.

It was on the TA DVD's, though I don't remember which one right now. It's an Andrew Gerard handling.
Kamaitachi
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Kamaitachi
Mhm, I hate that every time I show some friends a new effect, the day after they looked it up on youtube and tell me how easy it is to do.
That didn't happen when I started out 4 years ago. Certainly not a good thing :/
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 18:51, Kamaitachi wrote:
Mhm, I hate that every time I show some friends a new effect, the day after they looked it up on youtube and tell me how easy it is to do.
That didn't happen when I started out 4 years ago. Certainly not a good thing :/

Sounds like a good reason to either come up with better effects or handlings that won't already be exposed on YouTube OR don't do tricks for your buddies!

MMc
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 19:38, MickeyPainless wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 18:51, Kamaitachi wrote:

Sounds like a good reason to either come up with better effects or handlings that won't already be exposed on YouTube OR don't do tricks for your buddies!

MMc

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.The evolution of exposure of tricks on YouTube is certainly not favorable for magicians but one cannot stop it I fear.
On the other hand it forces the magician to be creative and to come up with his OWN presentation and patter in stead of just copying the presentation and patter that is delivered when he buys a trick from a dealer. That is positive.
So it is a knife that cuts on both sides.
There are no bad tricks, only bad magicians....
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It's worse than that. Non-magicians aren't that discriminating of effects. Say you do 3 variations on Card Warp, and one variation is sort of exposed, or even something that looks like a version of this effect, but is really something else, say a torn and restored.

Once some folks think they know the secret they aren't interested anymore and may become disruptive, saying that they know how you do the trick, insisting that you show the cards, etc.

This is a double edged sword, of course, the good side is that it forces better audience managment and handling of props.
Marty Sasaki

Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
The only people who watch the tutorials are people who wanna become magicians. YouTube is a great resource for that kind of stuff. If you perform it to one of these people I would expect that they wouldn't say anything to keep the magic alive
Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
The only thing I do not like about having tutorials on YouTube with more people becoming magicians is 1st buisnesses will lose money from people revealing their tricks 2nd most people who make the tutorial can barely do what they are teaching well
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Card warp exposed... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL