The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Earthly Sandwiches - John Neely (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Garrett
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
258 Posts

Profile of Garrett
My friend and fellow Café member, John Neely, has come up with a very nice progressive sandwich routine (based on Earthly Powers by Richard Vollmer from the Apocalypse) soon to be featured in the Card Corner section of The Linking Ring magazine. If anyone is interested, you can see a demo of the routine here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUqST5duQAk
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Fantastic!.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Hmmm... I like Collector's effects, sandwich tricks and Ace assemblies so this gives me some ideas! I'll be on the look out for the article John!

MMc
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2959 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
The "Earthy Sandwiches" routine will appearup in the Card Corner (Linking Ring Magazine) in July. The magazine will likely be out by the 2nd week in July. Sometimes it comes earlier but not generally.

My thanks goes out to John for contributing this very nice routine.

In August, there's a nice item from Steve Reynolds that's scheduled to appear. It's sort of a reverse sandwich effect. It's a excellent effect! Watch for it.

Mike
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4459 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
What a stunning routine, I like it!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
276 Posts

Profile of John Neely
Thanks for your nice comments everybody. And thanks for posting the routine Garrett. I have lots of other ideas too and I hope to get them out there one way or another in the years to come so keep your eyes open.

BTW I am going to Midwest Magic Jubilee and so if any of you are going to be there please introduce yourself. I have Tourette Syndrome and so I'm pretty easy to spot. I'll be the one shaking his head. = ) I'd love to hang out and do magic. I will also personally teach you the Earthly Sandwich routine, if your interested. I'll be there with a friend of mine from magic club named Tim. He's great and has lots of good ideas too. Looking forward to it!

John
Garrett
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
258 Posts

Profile of Garrett
John,

Someone on another site had the idea of allowing the spectator(s) to actually select a few of the cards that are used for the initial sandwich. Not sure how it would play, but I thought it was an interesting idea!

gh
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
John,

sent you a PM.

Dave.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
276 Posts

Profile of John Neely
Garrett,

Yes this might be a good idea. It would help with what Kammagic is talking about in his comments on Youtube.

Here is another idea I've played around with. You could start with the following cards on the bottom of the deck from top down the four aces and then two indifferent cards. When you have the cards selected don't hold a break after the second card or control them. Have spectators cut the deck several times. Then when looking for the selection cut the aces to the top as you say you think the selctions are somewhere around this point in the deck. Say you don't know exactly which ones the selctions are but you know they are somewhere around this point so to be safe you will take several cards. Turn the deck face down and spread off fourteen cards from the top of the deck and use these cards in the sandwich. This has the advantage that the spectators can cut the deck when the selections are returned and it seems more like random cards grouped around the selections are being used. The disadvantage is it can no longer be done with a shuffled deck which is one thing I really like about the effect.

John
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Quote:
On 2009-06-24 06:40, John Neely wrote:
...The disadvantage is it can no longer be done with a shuffled deck which is one thing I really like about the effect.

John

I think you still can do it with a shuffled deck in that instance. How about culling the Aces to the top as you take out the Jacks, then shuffle the Aces to position before the selection process?
John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
276 Posts

Profile of John Neely
Yes, you could certain do that. Good thinking. The trick would not be as easy to do though.

John

P.S. - Thanks everyone for your interest in the to the routine. I'm going on vacation till next Monday and so I won't be on the Café till then. I'll check back on Monday and try to respond to any questions or comments people leave.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
I guess there is always a price to pay for eveything. Smile

By the way, I forgot to say a big thanks for sharing this to us!
John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
276 Posts

Profile of John Neely
I have posted a variation of Earthly Sandwiches in the Secret Sessions. It is a little more direct than the original version and has a different feel to it especially when done without the sandwhich cards which is the way I would recommend doing it. Try both versions and let me know which you like better.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Earthly Sandwiches - John Neely (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL