The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magic wands (wood) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cliveroberts
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cliveroberts
Can anyone advise me where I can purchase (or have made up) at reasonable cost aome magic wands in wood? (breakable). The reason I say "reasonable cost" is that I require 50 to 60 of them. Any information welcomed.
Clive Roberts
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Are these for broken wand ceremonies?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I'd be careful. Sounds like a hit man who targets magicians.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Why not head over to Home Depot and buy a handful of the appropriate white wood dowels and cut and rub some stain or paint on them. It wouldnt take much to do.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
OK... you talked me into it, but what's cliveroberts going to do?
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Tabman's got it right.

Pick up some 1/4" dowel. Cut it into 10" or 12" lengths, depending on how long you want the wands to be. Pick up a gallon of the color paint (I find Tremclad to work really well for this) you want them to be (ie. black)and a 1/4 gallon in the color you want the tips to be (ie. white). I recommend glossy or semi-gloss.

String a clothes line and get some clothes pegs. Dip the dowel the full color first and hang to dry. When that is done, dip the end of each dowel and hang to dry. Then, dip the other end and hang to dry with wet end down.

The nice part about dipping for the ends is you get a very even line where the end color begins. Also, dipping gives you a really smooth finish overall.

Dip each coat as much as you want, allowing it to dry between coats, to get the thickness or shade you're looking for. Finish doing the shaft as many coats as you wish, before beginning the tips.

You should be able to do 50 to 60 in a day allowing for drying between coats.

If Tremclad is not available in the UK, then I believe Rust-oleum is pretty similar. You do not want to use a latex paint, because it will not give a hardened finish.

You can do the same process using liquid stains or shellacs.
cliveroberts
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cliveroberts
Thanks for all the advice. Will now be able to make some up. This is for the old Tommy Cooper gag (but with new additions) ... "a very rare and priceless wand" ... breaks wand in half ... "look at the grain in that wood!!".

Incidentally, I have just seen the DERREN BROWN show in London - "ENIGMA". Don't miss it if it comes your way. His best yet!!
Clive Roberts
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Clive,
A quick ( and nice looking ) way is also to stain the whole wand and get a pipe cutter to simply score a groove where the ferruls are.
Bri
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Walmart has them already cut and bagged in the craft section.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
266 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
Quote:
On 2009-06-23 15:59, jay leslie wrote:
OK... you talked me into it, but what's cliveroberts going to do?

HAHAHA Jay I got it. LMAO

Jeremy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magic wands (wood) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL