The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Jon Allen Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1040 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I'd like to hear about those five Stand-Up effects. Jon is a great thinker and I would like to see what he brings to this often times neglected genre of magic.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1703 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Mac,

You want to hear about them.... you shall hear about them! The five stand-up routines are:

The world's Funniest Joke - A 'Bank Night' style routine where nobody loses and you create.... the World's Funniest Joke

Credit Cut - Someone's credit card is placed into an envelope and lost amongst identical envelopes containing credit card style gift cards. You attempt to cut up the envelopes that *don't* contain their card.

White Noise - Not only a simple but effective way to predict a newspaper headline but a presentation that answers the question, "Why do magicians only ever predict the front page?"

Grabbit Production - A new way to produce a bottle from a balloon. Not only is the result more effective but it allows you to produce all manner of objects.

Signal Strength - My personal favourite! A Pseudo-Psychometry style routine involving three people's mobile phones, your mobile phone, a dummy phone... and a hammer! Not only a stand up routine I have been doing for about 10 years but also a wonderful marketing tool Smile

(I have avoided using words like 'great', stunning', 'wonderful' etc. as you would only accuse me of being biased! You would only say, "He would say that wouldn't he? I'll leave it to other people to describe how good the routines are Smile)

As for the rubber band routines, there are a number of them in the book. Burning Rubber routines several of them together in a set I do at every opportunity doing mix & mingle. The finale is to break a rubber band and then restore it around someone's wrist.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Jon

p.s. The Professor's Nightmare routine (Freddy's Dead) can also be done as a stand-up piece as well as in close-up
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1045 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Every success with the book Jon.

Kind regards

John
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of Daren
And the card effects are ?
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1045 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Crikey Darren, you learnt all the stuff from my dvd already?lol

I am sure there are some gems in Jons book.I know there is a thought of card on ceiling in the book.

Whens the next Ortiz book? When is the new Latta book? I want them and I want them nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.lmao

Time for the medication.

Have a spendid weekend chaps.

jc
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1703 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Somewhat unusually, there are not many card tricks. The ones that are in there are meant for workers rather than showing off to the local magic club.

My favourite card effect is The Wedding Trick. It's simple but very powerful. Yes, there is also a thougth-of Card on Ceiling...

I would also like to point out that the webpage has the price of shipping as £12 outside the UK. However, it has been noted that it is not that expensive to send it to Europe. So, if you are in Europe, the price of shipping is £8. rather than £12. but my web designer has not had time to add a 'European' Paypal button.

If you are in Europe and wish to buy the book, simply pay £44 directly through Paypal rather than the webpage and I'll take note.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
For anyone who would like to preview this book, we've put a free 15-page PDF (which contains 3 of Jon's tricks) here:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-d......preview/

Enjoy!

--Andi
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Just finished the book. The tricks and ideas are all outstanding. The stand up stuff is great. The card tricks are well thought out and interesting (his take on Ortiz's Dream Card was especially cool, I thought). But the real meat of the book wasn't the what but the why. Jon is very specific about his goals: He wants to engage his audience. He wants to share with them and wants them to share with him. I don't think this word is ever used in the book but his goal seems to be a deep communion between performer and participant. Sometimes this involves a change in method of effect. But more often than not, it's about presentation. Real food for thought, here. Certainly got me thinking about my performances.

This sounds heavy, I know. But it really isn't. The tone of the book is is actually quite light and fun. John Lovick does a really nice job of keeping the text flowing and injecting humorous asides (actually, I don't know if some of these asides are Jon's or John's but either way they are welcome).

Tirck Junkies and Move Monkeys, fear not. There are plenty of great (commercial) tricks in this book to keep you occupied for a long time. In the stand up section, Grabbit Production and Signal Strength were two of my favorites (and two items I might start doing!). In the Move, Sequences & Bits of Business Section, there is a good, fancy false cut called Basil. I did have trouble following this but fancy false cuts don't turn me on that much so it was probably more my indifference than the writing or photos. But that Invisible Palm Finale, hoo-boy, I LOVED that. Just great thinking.

The Miscellaneous section has some good tricks and sequences, including a ring on string move that is quite wonderful.

The last section is entitled Taking Things Further and, boy, the title doesn't lie. This section is all about presentation. There are some great thoughts on the ambitious card and what the participant should write on the card. There is also some deep insight into Jon's Destination Box and a mind blowing concept (which is already getting major buzz in another thread) called the Shrodinger's Card. Food for thought indeed.

Overall, I can't recommend this book enough. It is truly an excellent read and something that is sure to get the old wheels turning. You might not agree with all of Jon's philosophies and presentations but you will certainly start reflecting more over your own work and that's always a good thing.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
I wonder if this will be only available by vanishinginc or will like a magic distributor (murphys) will also get the book?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Jon Allen Book (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL