The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cleaning patina off copper cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
I recently purchased a set of used cups, and the patina is, well, horrendous. I like the look of a nice copper patina, but this is simply gross. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to them, but I'm assuming that this might have been the result of a patina-inducing experiment--they're sort of a greenish-black.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how best to remove the patina. I've polished/cleaned copper cups before with Brasso and Wright's Copper Cream, but I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions before I start something I can't undo (I'm not very "handy", to say the least).

Thanks.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
I would not use Brasso.

I would use "Simichrome" polish, more information available here:
http://www.competitionchemicals.com/

"Simichrome" is much more gentle than Brasso, I use it on my Copper, Brass and Silver Sherwoods.

Another excellent product is "Flitz".

Bill
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Wright's should do well to chemically strip the patina. Then you can follow up with the other polishes to restore the shine.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
The ocidation of copper goes pretty far all by itself. Leave something outdoors and it will turn very green. Lots of the rain gutters around New England have a lovely green color. The Statue of Liberty is another example.

I recently used Wright's to remove some tarnish from my copper chop cup. It did a great job with only a bit of effort.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
Thanks guys.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Salt and vinegar will chemically strip the patina from copper. Wash the cups thoroughly with soap and detergent first, then degrease them, in case something has gotten onto the surface besides the patina. If the patina is uneven, there is a chance that there is stray grease on the cups.

After you have cleaned and degreased the cups, then depatinize them with vinegar and salt.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Does this work for brass too?

Fortasse
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use ketchup to clean copper sometimes. just coat it in ketchup and let it sit for a couple minutes and see what happens.

Bill are you recommending letting the cups sit in a salt and vinegar mixture?
just dunking them in there under the water level? and letting them sit for a while?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-06-23 17:27, fortasse wrote:
Does this work for brass too?

Fortasse

Yes it does. Tabasco sauce also works, but it makes your eyes water. I'm not kidding.

Quote:
On 2009-06-23 17:38, Frank Starsini wrote:
I use ketchup to clean copper sometimes. just coat it in ketchup and let it sit for a couple minutes and see what happens.

Bill are you recommending letting the cups sit in a salt and vinegar mixture?
just dunking them in there under the water level? and letting them sit for a while?

Dissolve the salt in the vinegar, then apply the solution with a folded up paper towel. Rinse thoroughly when finished.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Gotcha
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Thanks, Bill.
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
I'm gonna try Bill's method tonight and see what happens.

Bill, you said to degrease them after washing them and before the salt and vinegar--degrease them how?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a lot of chemical degreasers on the market, basically solvents. One that seems to work well is rubbing alcohol. Other alcohols will work fairly well, too. Just make sure you work in a well-ventilated area.

I would avoid things like toluene, xylene or acetone.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
Okay, I just got done.

I washed them in my kitchen sink with dish detergent. Next, I took em out into the warm night of my back porch and bathed them in rubbing alcohol. Then I dipped the cups in a big tupperware container filled with white vinegar and salt. Amazing! The patina came of instantaneously! I felt like I was doing a demonstration for Kaboom or something.

They're still not 100% though. Perhaps I didn't degrease enough. They have sort of a dirty look now. Should I go ahead and polish them with Wrights or a copper cleaner, or do you have any further suggestions on how to get them looking new(-ish)?
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I use mazzo... or whatever it is... you can get it from Walmart and I like it just fine
-DJ
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Sounds like it worked wonders for the most part. Try the ketchup.
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
Yeah, they look like completely different cups, that's for sure. They just have a very subtle greenish cast to them, which, with the natural copper color, makes them almost pinkish.

I think I will try the ketchup now. I'm enjoying this, by the way. Reminds me of science class!:)

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 1:53am
OK, the ketchup seemed to work only just a little. I gave in and took some Wright's to them, and now, apart from some dings I didn't notice until they were depatinized, these buggers look about as good as they have probably since the day they were spun.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Does the Patina ever eat through the copper? Or is it just another layer on top of the copper?
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It's part of the copper. The other bit reacts with the environment. The various cleaners remove a layer of copper exposing the "fresh" copper below. So you can probably over do things and eventually noticeably thin the copper.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Quote:
On 2009-06-24 08:13, marty.sasaki wrote:
It's part of the copper. The other bit reacts with the environment. The various cleaners remove a layer of copper exposing the "fresh" copper below. So you can probably over do things and eventually noticeably thin the copper.

Then I better not take any advice from a lot of these people! I intend to make my cups last a long time, even after I die someone else better take care of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cleaning patina off copper cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL