The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you hide the Biggest Wand outdoor? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
324 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Not sure if this has been discussed. Does anybody have any good ideas where and hide it outdoor when you are doing picnic shows etc?

thanks!
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
I use a few black sheets for backdrops etc. and usually have a couple of extra, so I just cover it up as best I can with black sheets and then put it as far out of sight as possible. The facilities are different at every outdoor show I do, so I just scope it out when I get there and see what I can do.
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3054 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Duct tape and many, many leaves and branches = tree! Smile

Agree with Gordyboy; you may not know until showing up at the event/venue, if/how you can use the Biggest Wand.

But if you are willing to travel with extra gear, a collapsible backdrop is a good suggestion - just be sure to weigh down the curtains to avoid unintentional windy exposure of your props!
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
227 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Could inflating it be a part of your show? A box marked 'in case of emergency' or some such. Just askin'
Owen Anderson
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I have yet to use it at outdoors.

This really is more of a "Stage" Prop and most outdoor venues are not ideal for the Biggest Wand.
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
I only use them on Stage. I don't what them to see them at all before hand. Just takes the surprise out of it. Most outdoor events or parties the kids are already there so it is hard to set them up without them seeing them.
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
What Brad said! Smile
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I'll be using mine for the first time this week at a festival. I'm planning on covering it with two sheets, and hiding it behind the stage I'll be working in front of. I'm making up signs to tape to the sheets, so no one tries to place anyhing on top, or, worse, tries to sit on it....

Ken
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Yes Ken, that would be BAD! Smile

Frank Thurston

MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
Inflate it onstage. roll it up in the bag it came with - which is also big enough to hold a small 12 volt (buggy) battery and the coleman 12/240 vlt pump. I've only done it once, but it resulted in laughter for the full 30 seconds it took to blow up, and then a rousing cheer at the end.

M@
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Under the "be ready to pack heavy" department, I'm thinking gas-powered post hole digger and a blanket.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1365 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Use double-stick tape to hide it behind the elephant you'll disappear later Smile
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Quote:
On 2009-07-17 11:37, stempleton wrote:
Use double-stick tape to hide it behind the elephant you'll disappear later Smile

I prefer Velcro to double stick tape. It's reusable!;D
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
I love your idea Own. for emergency only press here. and the wand inflates.
If you have just done a trick that the other wands didn't work then I think that would be really funny.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I did one last week and I hid it in the persons house ... it was a little far away from where the show was outside but I made it a big deal that the wand was only used in an emergency situations and kept talking and making noise as I got it .... it actually work out very well and made it more important ....
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Somehow, I think inflating the wand in front of the audience would diminish the impact of the Biggest Wand. Though, I'm not anti- the idea. But how would you routine the inflating bit, and wouldn't it be too slow?
I prefer to hide the wand behind my backdrop, then I wave the top of the wand above the backdrop before it comes out in full view. I don't have a suitable backdrop for outdoor use, except when I use my pirate tent (gazebo). I have it with me, and if the outdoor venue has a suitable place to hide the wand, I might use it. But other wands are still funny, the breakaway wand, popoff wand, and Derek Rutt's Wand to Snake, are all firm favourites too.
:)
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I just recently purchased a backdrop, and found that even a slight bit of wind will send it over. But if I just raise it up 2-3 feet, it stays put just fine, and this works fine for hiding the wand. I will only use it, though, if I can inflate it out of sight of the kids. If they see it prior to the show, the surprise is ruined. Once inflated I cover it with a couple of 'The Incredibles' fleece blankets - a bit of the middle still shows, but since it is behind the backdrop, no one is the wiser. The backdrop allows me to use it in many more situations than I could before, and is really a great investment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you hide the Biggest Wand outdoor? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL