The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you wipe that sweat - behind your table or infront of the kids? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hi!

I went through past threads and I saw the various tips regarding dealing with sweat: To put a fan, not to wear hot clothes, to wear an undershirt, to drink a lot before etc. etc.

Everything is very nice, but - in practical terms, what do you do if you're standing over there in that very hot weather (sometimes outdoors) and sweat is pouring down your face? I always bring with me to shows a towel, so - do I duck behind my table, wipe my face and come out "good as new" - this could happen even 5-6 times during one show, or - do I have the towel on my table, and when I need it - I just casually take it, wipe my face, and put it back (and if you vote for this - how to do this tactfully)?

Thanks!

Simcha
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
If you are a comedy magician you could turn it into a running gag. Maybe with the towel you also have the Inexaustible Sponge. Below is the information on it.

The Inexaustible Sponge by Gaetan Bloom
At anytime you can wipe your forehead with the sponge and squeeze it over a bucket, producing large amounts of water from the sponge! You leave the sponge on the tray and with no cover, switch or suspicious moves, you are able to repeat the effect just moments later. This is a great running gag. You can repeat as many times as you wish. It also comes with ideas for several surprise endings. The water in the bucket can become confetti, turn into a block of ice with a selected card inside or just vanish. Comes with tray, special sponge and instructions. You supply the bucket and water.

Hope that helps.
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I sweat a lot while performing. I always have a towel with me. I think audiences want you to be as comfortable as they are, so I wipe whenever I feel it's necessary. They can see the sweat, so I acknowledge it, maybe make a joke, and wipe. Better than ignoring the issue, and dripping all over them...

Ken
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I work outdoors at County Fairs for 6 months out of the year, from April-October each year and can attest to getting quite warm on certain stages.

I have two hand towells at the ready in my showbasket and wipe my face in between routines if need be.

I see nothing wrong with doing so.

You gotta be comfortable, and sweat STINGS when it gets in your eyes!!!

I usually say something funny like, "Pardon me, my skin is leaking!" or some other line to that effect.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I cary a towell in my bag. It's hot for the audience too, they will understand.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It's good enough for Ice McDonald, and it was good enough for Elvis, to be using a towel on stage. The hottest gigs only required that I have a bandana handy. I tend to get a sheen on my face, in hot weather.

To reduce the stress of working in hot weather, I wear Underarmor to wick the perspiration away from me.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Alan
Thank you for reminding me that the King (Elvis) used towels on stage in Vegas
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Im bald and my stage name is mr shiney
so I just wipe my head and tell them Im polishing it to keep it shiny
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Mr shiney, love that line, way I am going I will be able to use that line soon.

I have a small, face cloth sized towel that is either in a pocket(if I have one to spare), or just behind my table, I wipe and put it back, whenever it doesn't break the flow of the show.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Man, I'm glad to see this thread! I thought I was the only one who dealt with too much sweating!

I've done one hospital show and more to come. It's very warm in there, so for my first performance, I was simply myself and subtly acknowledged the fact that I was warm by wiping my face and head every now and again. (I'm also bald, and I think we baldies sweat more than others...I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I drink too many slurpies and am overweight!)

I believe for me, I just have to be myself. I don't draw too much attention to the sweating, as it's as natural as a public speaker drinking from a glass of water every now and again.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Make sure you have a bottle of water or two! That sweat's got to be replaced with fluids!!!

Ken
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
I use a clean white towel and a line from Aldo Columbini: "I'm not sweating, I'm defrosting."

Eddie
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Eddie - I like that. I use a line from Louie Anderson "If I don't sweat I explode".
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I don't know why I'm sweating, I already got the job! LOL
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also perform a LOT outdoors. I combat the issue by wearing a Fedora as part of my outfit. It helps prevent some sweat from running down my face and gives me a bit of shade so I am not squinting.

I also agree with others I that wiping your face with a towel is not a bad thing. Audiences understand and if it is done casually, they will never have a problem with it. I always keep a towel in my table as well as bottles of water to stay hydrated.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I used to have the same problem/concern. I started a thread on it five years ago...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17

Since then, I have done many outdoor shows in high heat. I agree with what many have said - a quick wipe with a hand towel is not a big deal at all. If anything, time it so that you do the wipe as you are sending a volunteer back to their seat and they are getting a round of applause. Half the audience will be looking at the kid returning to their seat - that's sort of an offbeat moment for you and a quick wipe would be virtually unnoticed at that point, I imagine.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
There is a trick of using a line of chapstick over both your eyebrows to push the sweat around the eyes. I never tried it, but I heard it works. I used to have a light towel attached to a retractable dog leash hanging under the table and pull it out and let it fly back to position after wiping the sweat from my face It is actually a giant bill snatcher as I had replaced the leash with monofilament fishline. It got a laugh and did the job.
Since my new stage set up doesn't use that kind of table I just use a folded paper tower in about a 6 inch square to wipe as the kids are leaving the stage.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Being a rather large guy, I'll sweat in a meatlocker! So, I just make a bit out of the towel. Being a comedy magician, I get away with it. I just say I'm so hot I need to wipe my head! take the towel, wipe my face and leave the towel there. then I act as if everyone left. gets a big laugh.
stevezany
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of stevezany
On the very hot and humid days, I wear a dark colored cap on my head that matches my costume. It does a great job of preventing any perspiration from becoming a distraction for me or the audience.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Of course this happens to us inside as well.

Hydration is a good thing!

Thanks for the suggestions

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you wipe that sweat - behind your table or infront of the kids? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL