The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » An Idea for Packet Trick performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
What about if you have a nice leather packet wallet to hold all your various packet tricks?

I ask because I really want one of those (JOL) wallets, but as I would only perform for friends and others in everyday situations I think maybe they would demand an extra close inspection of cards brought out separately.

I understand that a performing "real" magician can get away with bringing out props at a performance but I'm just one of the guests at the party. I feel that I have enough trouble convincing people that my regular deck isn't an automatic magic prop (most people here have never even seen normal Bicycle cards).

So gaffed card box vs nice leather wallet vs skipping packet tricks altogether? (Writing this I'm starting to lean towards skipping these types of effects altogether for someone like me).
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
The original idea of this thread is very clever. I think I'll play with that. I think I have another idea to add.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Noobini,

Hopefully, you won't eliminate 'gaffed/packet' tricks totally from your routine. Some are very strong and magical. The original intent of this tread was to give you a way to introduce the 'special' cards in a way that helps 'sell' the idea to the spectator that they are just 'normal' cards (without saying, "Here's a packet of NORMAL cards?" By seeing the cards come out of a normal card box, they are less likely to suspect that they're gaffed or set-up. By seeing them brought out in a plastic (or leather) wallet, that's something the spectator isn't used to seeing... and therefore, it may seem that they're not 'regular' cards.

If you're using a whole routine of gaffed cards... that's a recipe for disaster. But throw in a couple of strong packet effects like M.S. 3 Card Monte, Wild Card or Bannon's Twisted Sister... and routine them around regular deck stuff... and you'll blow them away with real magic.

Bertrand,
Looking forward to any ideas you may have to add.

Thanks,
Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Turn it around: say you have a very special magical deck of cards when you're using a normal deck. Do the trick and let the specs. see the cards - wow, they are all normal. When using gaffed cards, don't say anything about them. The audience will think that they are just as 'special' as the earlier ones.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 16:25, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
What about if you have a nice leather packet wallet to hold all your various packet tricks?

I ask because I really want one of those (JOL) wallets, but as I would only perform for friends and others in everyday situations I think maybe they would demand an extra close inspection of cards brought out separately.

I understand that a performing "real" magician can get away with bringing out props at a performance but I'm just one of the guests at the party. I feel that I have enough trouble convincing people that my regular deck isn't an automatic magic prop (most people here have never even seen normal Bicycle cards).

So gaffed card box vs nice leather wallet vs skipping packet tricks altogether? (Writing this I'm starting to lean towards skipping these types of effects altogether for someone like me).

Not sure I agree with your thinking, Noobini.

As cards are only a small part of the things I do, I am not a move monkey like some. Actually I am coming to realize that, for me, acquiring that degree of skill is not worth the time and effort. Therefore, I have gravitated to packet tricks as a way to perform cards without the knuckle-busting.

So, it seems, we are going in opposite directions. Except, of course, for the fact that I, too, lust after the JOL.

I love the OP idea, even though I have never had a problem using a packet wallet or simply having what looks like a regular deck but is full of packet tricks. In spite of that, I feel a packet trick is the strongest, by far, if you can let the specs examine the cards. This means either a deck switch (shell) or a PT that uses no gaffs.

Good news is, there are many great packet effects that are fully examinable, like Vernon's Twisting the Aces, Daley's Last Trick, the Godfather's version of Wild Card, John Bannon's Fractal Card Magic, etc. All easily within the abilities of those of us who do not make cards our specialty...

Just some food for thought...

Regards,

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
If you take out cards or a deck of cards as a magician, people know there's something with them: there are spare parts up your sleeve, the deck is gaffed, the cards are marked. Do they really care? No, they want a nice performance - they know you're a magician, so they expect funny and strange things to happen.

By the way, in Europe (and maybe all over the world except the USA) Bicycle cards are strange. Every bicycle deck is thought being gaffed or controlled in one way or another. When people play card games, they never use Bicycles (far too expansive). Only magicians use them. But so what? 'I've got some special cards, so special, only a magician has the force to handle them. They are so special... Please sir, name a card.' 'Jack of diamonds.' 'These cards are so special, that there is always one card reversed. Let's see which card that is today. It's the jack of diamonds.'
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
Yes! A few years ago, every time a friend of mine saw the bicycle deck it was "here we go - gaffed cards". Thankfully, since the recent poker craze over the last few years, they are far more common. Phew!

The best advice I was ever give was to place your gaffed cards throughout a normal deck (if possible). Search through the deck for the required cards, and may it seem impromptu. It certainly improved the reaction I got for many of the tricks I perform.

Tony
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

I actually don't have more than maybe one gaffed packet trick. Not any good ones that I can remember now anyway. I do however know a few great effects that require time consuming setups, such as an Oil and Queens routine I have adapted to have a color changing back ending.

I need to set up and bring in the extra card. In some cases an extra card could probably be loaded in between the Jokers or something, but if the setup becomes too complex it effectively becomes a packet trick.

I have fast forwarded past a good many gaffed tricks in my life because they seem so impossible to pull off in my everyday situation, which would be either following a few regular deck effects or using a borrowed deck altogether.

Since I have carried a packet trick in my everyday wallet for maybe two years now without daring to bring it out more than once, I think the gaffed card case is a better idea perhaps (not that I fully understood the instructions).

But I think I need to buy the JOL wallet anyway just because... it is beautiful and I want it. I may not ever use it but I know I won't get it out of my system so I really have no choice in the matter.

The one gaffed trick I spoke of I haven't tried in the field, but when I practice it, I find that it only looks fair when I pull the cards out of a real deck. Because of my Mnemonica stack setup however, it would have to be a separate deck which may seem just as fishy.

Lots of great thinking in this thread! I may need to make additional posts to comment on a few clever thoughts! Smile

EDIT: there, I bought the wallet at $45 including international shipping. Lol, I better find some more good packet tricks now.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
I also live in a country where most people have never seen Bicycles before. They look strange so why not let the spectators take a good look at the case and the backs before the gaffs are introduced.

"Some people use cards with cars or airoplanes on their backs. But theese cards are environment friendly. You see - they are called Bicycles. I prefer CO2-neutral cards. You see, the angels are not flying in the sky, they are biking."

My relatives know I really am concerned about these topics so they are not very surprised, just amused. They get a reason to accept the strange looking cards. And I give them a reason to take a close look at the cards without rising the question of trick cards.

Trolle
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

The point about normal vs odd looking cards brings up another thought: If you have already performed something using a full deck and wish to bring out additional cards, these should probably be different in appearance from your other cards. The more different the better.

This opens up all kinds of possibilities in terms of your motive for having the cards separate:

They are your first cards or your favorite cards, they were handed down to you, they are the cards of your ex wife who was a real witch, they are antique, rare or valuable, you found them in a Cornflakes packet, they are your favorite or lucky color, they are special or magic cards, they are misprinted cards that you have found to have strange abilities, you found them in the street as you were leaving a gypsy camp you had visited with an eviction order, you always pick up cards you find in the street and have they noticed how often you see cards lying on the sidewalk for no apparent reason?, you keep them separate to make them seem more interesting than they/you really are, you bought them on eBay and the seller claimed they belonged to..., a strange person came up to you on the street once and gave them to you, your grandfather taught you to count with these cards, you found them in your wallet one morning (and your money was gone), etc etc. Make up as many yarns as you want.
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Noobini,

I agree that if you want to call 'special' attention to the packet, then it's logical to introduce them differently than the regular deck. In an earlier post on this thread, I wrote,

"If you're producing a 'prediction'... or, if you're introducing a packet which you claim is special in some way (i.e., cards that your grandfather gave you, or your friend David Copperfield gave to you,) then certainly a 'special' envelope would be logical."

I also agree that if you're adding additional cards to the mix, it's okay to bring them in separately. Example: If you perform a Wild Card routine, you have to bring them in separate from a reg. deck (since several cards of the same value and suit are not part of a reg. deck.)

However, if you bring in some gaffed cards that seem like normal cards from a deck... and you want them to think that they are 'normal'... if you pull them out of a regular deck, the spectator is more likely to be convinced that they are 'normal.' Example: If you pull out the gaffed cards from a reg. deck to perform Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three-Card Monte... the trick will be much stronger than if you pull them out of a special envelope. Try to think of what it looks like from a spectator's viewpoint... he sees you perform several effects with a regular deck... then, you pull out an envelope with an ACE, TWO, and THREE... your first thought might be (hmmm... why didn't he just take them from the deck he was just using? Since he brought them out separately, they must be different than the regular cards... Hmmm... I got it!!! I bet they're 'trick' cards!!!)

When possible, the less 'heat' you draw on your 'gaffed' cards at the beginning of the effect... the better.

If you're working with 'normal card' packet effects;
* Best Scenareo - Integrate them into a reg. deck like a stack.
* Second Best - Pull them out of a 'regular' looking box.
* Third Best - Introduce them separately with different design backs, and with patter that suggests they are special in some way. i.e., they were your first cards... cards that your grandfather willed to you... cards that you stole from David Blaine... cards that your friend, Harry Lorayne gave to you... etc.
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Yes, good points David! I must have overlooked your earlier similar post. Either that or I simply ripped off your thinking. Smile

I suppose I can use the packet trick wallet to safely transport cards around until they are to be loaded into the deck for subsequent removal. It's a bit more tricky to load cards into the deck than to palm them out I guess. I've never done either in front of a spectator so I don't really know what I can and cannot get away with in that area.

Having let a few days pass I'm pretty much back to the mindset of dropping packet tricks altogether, unless they use ungaffed already available cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » An Idea for Packet Trick performers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL