The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pen manipulation on street? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
I do a routine using a bic pen. It uses ideas from Greg Wilson's recap, Rune Klan's hitman, a little pen spinning, and maybe some ideas I learned else where. I was wandering if this would be able to be used on the street?

Would the pen be to small for many of the spectators to see?

If the basic phases of the routine would help with this it starts like recap with the cap disappearing and reappearing in multiple places, beginning with some spinning, then the pen disappears, reappears with some spinning to give it some sparkle, shrinks inside cap, then goes back to the original size. It ends with the pen changing to a different color.

I also do this without sleeves.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
This sounds like a great routine to bring the crowd into a nice tight edge.
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Thanks Jimmy it is something I have put a of effort in the last 5 or 6 months. My biggest concern is it being visible. However, it seems like many buskers on here do a coin manipulation act which I am also considering using on my first go on the street hopefully here soon. So a pen should be visible. Which is my biggest concern.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
If your doin a sidewalk act or doorway act close up this would be perfect especially with coins.

if you wanna do bigger act you can as a suggestion toss the pen on the ground call the people to move forward to see what the pens gonna do and build it up that it's gonna vanish spin, etc. and when they come in pick it up and begin the routine.

if you wanna bigger show after that simply push em back staing that the next one is a big trick and you need room this will definately show commitment from them.

if you feel more comfortable with the tight edge simply leave them where they are and move to the next effect.

it all really depends on the size of the show your shooting for.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"The essence of street performing is
#1 GET THEM TO STOP.
#2 GET THEM TO STAY.
#3 GET THEM TO PAY."
That's a quote from Jimmy's book, and there's heaps more excellent advice in his book.
arisO, I can see the start of a crowd coming in around you, even from here in New Zealand!!
The presentation makes the magic.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Um, that should be "arisO, even from here in New Zealand I can see the start of a crowd coming in around you."
Gotta get the wording right- it can make all the difference to the message, whether in an email or out on the street performing.
The presentation makes the magic.
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Okay here is the basic routine. If I have never really been reviewed by another magician before so if I suck please tell me. I will take the video down as soon as possible.

It would in real life be about 20 or so seconds longer with some gags and lines for when people are actually there. However, I was alone "the story of my life Smile".

Thanks for any critiques in advanced even if it is not nice.

Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMIpLGEIRs
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
You have a nice routine going there ariosO. It's very difficult to give a GREAT demonstration of a routine online, without being in front of an audience.

I think you have the ground work for a good draw. Your "patter" (or whatever you wanna call it) will come easier once you've been out in front of people enough.

Well thought out. Well done.
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Very nice work man, very nice! You need to feel more comfortable though, treat the camera like it is your friend, like a living breathing entity.

In other words...

Pretend a little.

Remember what that was like?

When you were little it was easier and far more comfortable wasn't it?

Tap into that energy my friend.

It's still there in all of us.

;)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The act looks nice for a close-up crowd. For larger audiences try using a bright colored magic wand that is wider and longer than the pen. Shoot Ogawa demonstrated a wand changing colors, (used two different colored wands.) Kozmo has a DVD titled "Tales of the Streets" with a similar routine using a magic wand. His routine gets much response from magicians and laymen, especially because of where the wands reappears after it vanishes.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Why not use a bigger magic marker? you can make one form wood. make it bigger. you perform it as a close up trick. perform bigger movements. if you hold up the pen, hold it at the level of you head so people can see it. step to the left or right to show a phase, it makes the trick bigger.

if you ask a spec.a question wait until he answers.
here is a paul daniels chop cup I hve seen him doing it for a 1000 peoples.
important is that he asks what he has (a cup / a ball)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkPaXm13BOY
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Robert Blake's advice should be read and re-read 1,000 times. It is fundamentally important. I fail to do this myself when I'm not performing regularly.

Thanks for the reminder Robert!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Chad, thanks. next year you should come to europe to perform some festivals here and I love to meet you then.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 03:31, Dynamike wrote:
The act looks nice for a close-up crowd. For larger audiences try using a bright colored magic wand that is wider and longer than the pen. ...

You're missing the point. He doesn't want to do a "wand" trick, he specifically wants to use a pen. With the patter he has about "the kind of pen a man carries" it works perfectly. Combine that with Jimmy T's suggestion as a crowd gathering device, I think it'll work well for him.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I don't want to use a wand in my act. I could try to make something that looks like a pen though I really don't have much experience with wood working. A real marker would end up to messy for many of the moves.

Robert thanks a lot for the advice on blocking. I will try to think more about how to routine the movement. I can see where just bringing up the pen up to my head and moving a certain way between phases could make an improvement.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Good meeting you today. I hope you had a good time. You've got better chops than I do! Good coin work and good pen manips.

Maybe think about putting the rope in the middle and pen at the end.

I think the pen bit is your strongest effect (of what I saw today). It could work as a finale seeing as you were working a smaller show with your back to the wall.

I have an idea about an end to your pen routine that may make the finale (last production) a touch bigger. It goes along with your (other)finale idea, but might not be so angle sensitive. We could talk via PM or just meet on the pitch again...or the CRAP meeting.

Anyway, just a thought. Ya did good!
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Chad thanks man. I really appreciated your advice and your show.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Arios gets hit with 14 kids his first show, grabbing and yelling. Enough to make a grown busker cry. Picks back up and goes right back at it. Nice chops and some real nerve.
Good to share the pitch with you and, as always, with Chad.

See you tomorrow.

M Faulkner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pen manipulation on street? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL