The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » An ha lim's great card manipulation (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
shinji07
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of shinji07
Hello everyone,
I have just come across An ha lim's performance on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHjaRbTfHmQ

I just want to share it with you. Please enjoy!!
I really think that the Koreans are the cutting-edge performers in the manipulation field.
One of the other notbale Korean performers is Han Seol Hui, the great CD manipulator.
If you have't seen his performance, check it too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5xA_K6lrc&feature=related#

P.S.
By the way, does anyone know where I can learn techniques such as producing three cards in one hand which An Ha Lim uses?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Check out Jeff McBride's card manipulation DVDs. He has a series of three out and they called him the "king of cards" for a reason - definitely an excellent investment.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
deputata
View Profile
New user
Bulgaria
34 Posts

Profile of deputata
I really liked the CD manipulator,he is so talented.His misdirection was excellent.But I think that CD manipulation is suitable only for TV,because of the angles.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Okay WOW. that guy is absolutely incredible, one of the most talented manipulation sequences I have ever seen in my life.

But, he is in my opinion too fast. In many many cases the manipulations are so fast I don't know how laymen can even register what is happening. for example the interlock productions and the single backpalms. the magic comes from seeing an empty hand, and a card appears! if hes furiously flipping through cards the hands don't seem empty in some of these phases. maybe that's just me being picky because the audience certainly loves it.

to answer your question about production of the 3 different color cards? That looks like a tenkai production.

and CD manipulation can surely be done live, I have seen lots of videos of it! Angles are always a consideration but that doesn't mean it can only be performed for a camera. just pick your moves carefully.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5297 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Liked them both, excellent work! I agree that the Korean's are fast becoming the cutting edge of manipulation. Even with the flashes (damn that camera!) and telegraphing his steals An ha lim's performance showed high energy and a superior level of skill. I'd hate to be a dance troupe following him! LOL!! Great work from both these young men!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
422 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I love An Ha Lim's act and can't wait to see him in Nashville on Thursday night.

Let him keep his 3 card production as his own. He hasn't published it and as far as I know it is his creation so let's honor him by letting it be his unique production.
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Will the magic of tomorrow be dominated by this type of trend?
where`s the essence of magic in a real magic act gone to?
points worth to ponder upon.......
- a f o i -
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
An Ha Lim was incredible, but as trashmanf pointed, he is WAY TOO FAST!

Plus, his act seemed more like a skill demonstration. It doesn't 'grow bigger', but only grows more and more difficult. The song he picked is great ('Explosive', by Bond), but he din't make it justice in all senses, since it doesn't get more exciting and mysterious... I was hoping for a big 'explosive' finale -with jumbo cards maybe- but I felt like the act stopped all of a sudden.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Well, I just wish I could do one half of what he is able to do.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
To be honest, these YouTube videos do not do his act justice. I had the pleasure of seeing him live both at the IBM/SAM Convention last year and just a couple days ago at the IBM Convention in Nashville. His full length act has a much better structure and certainly has more of a build than the shortened version shown in the videos. Also, the nature of video makes a lot of his fast movements very difficult to follow. To be sure, he is very fast live, but everything he does is much more clear in person. His two- and three-card productions, perfectly color-coordinated, are simply beautiful to watch. If you ever get a chance to see this guy live, don't miss out.
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I actually think his speed is the best part of his routine and is what sets him apart from other manipulators.

I don't think the audience is confused by the fast productions; the routine sets it up nicely with slow productions, and then ends with a flurry, which I think is much more exciting than a jumbo card production or a card castle finale.

Where can I see more of his stuff?
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 20:52, afoi wrote:
Will the magic of tomorrow be dominated by this type of trend?
where`s the essence of magic in a real magic act gone to?
points worth to ponder upon.......

Well he is probably only of the premier card JUGGLERS in the world. As for magic...that's another thing. The off beat and unexpected mystery and wonder (created by vivid characterization) of Cardini remains unparalleled.
One cannot create a sense of wonder unless there is enough of a pause for wonder to grow in. For all the skill, it's not in the league of Norm Nielsen or Channing Pollock. Sometimes less IS more.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
You are absolutely right Jonathan.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Really, because I didn't see any juggling by him even for a second in this act.

"juggling" is a term that many magicians now use to try to put-down other forms of magic, usually used by jealous, lesser-skilled magicians to try to make themselves feel better.

we can discuss technique - I personally agree that a single backpalm production should be slower, to see the empty hand each time. When he does them, its like a long salt pour, lol, cards just falling nonstop from his hand.

but, it still commands respect to see this. and I'm sure if he wanted to he could do it much slower. Keep respect for masters of their art, even if it's a different method than you personally would do!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Here's a formula: skill minus wonder minus mystery = juggling
the phrase juggling in this context isn't new , it dates back to Robert-Houdin

and a couple of quotes (neither of which expresses a new idea of a jealous less-skilled individual):

Art lies in concealing art- Shakespeare

To create the greatest impression, one should appear to be using the smallest part of one's ability-John Mulholland

I was expressing a viewpoint regarding artistry, which is something like refinement...usually acquired after skill.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I understand the argument about juggling, but I also see no juggling in his act. My opinion is that if you're not a layman, it may be difficult to assess whether his act indeed created a sense of wonder.

I remember when I first saw Jeff McBride do his act on WGM; it wasn't his portrayal of a character that amazed me, but the card productions themselves. By the time he was spinning out from hand to hand (which looks like juggling), I was bewildered.

I recognize the differences between An ha lim's act and Cardini's act. But just because they are different, doesn't necessarily mean An ha lim's act is any less magical, in my opinion.
DaVinci
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of DaVinci
Like many things today, also Magic is categorized. The Magic An-Ha Lim is performing is Manipulation stage magic. What's the goal of card manipulation? Card manipulation is always connected and cannot be separated from showing off. You show the skill of your hands, which not everyone is able to do, e.g. hiding cards and producing them endlessly. An-Ha Lim is doing a perfect job with his act.....showing his skills (showing off)...if you all watched till the end of the video, the whole discussion would be unnecessary, cause since the audience gave him a standing ovation, his job couldn't be done any better.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
He won third place in Beijing.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of JNeal
On 2009-08-01 03:58, DaVinci wrote:
"...., the whole discussion would be unnecessary, cause since the audience gave him a standing ovation, his job couldn't be done any better."

I'm now quoting director, author and playwright David Mamet: " A standing ovation can be extorted from an audience...what I seek is the gasp (of amazement)"
visit me @ JNealShow.com
DaVinci
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of DaVinci
C'mon seriously. This quotation doesn't even nullify my argument. Why do you even think, or rather quote, that a standing ovation has been extorted. This thinking makes me think, that there's a pretty amount of jealousy in your quotation.
Btw, if you are seeking for gasp, look at the faces of the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » An ha lim's great card manipulation (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL