The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » An ha lim's great card manipulation (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No question LIM is a CARD PRODUCING MACHINE... Interesting, tho, at the WMS there was a teen perfomer from Korea THAT WAS BETTER. More magical and much of the same techniques.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
What was his name, Pete. Would love to know.

Regards,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
ESJohn
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ESJohn
I think Pete may be referring to Hara Hiroki, but it may be someone else.

About An Ha Lim, his act must have taken great skill and setup, but with the interlock productions, You could hardly even see when a card appeared. With the kind of skill that he posesses, He should let people see his skill clearly, and may want to slow things down.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I'd rather get my audience audience (no matter if lymen or Magi) mesmerized with Magic than jealous of my skillful hands and free off-stage time.

Quote:
On 2009-08-01 03:58, DaVinci wrote:
Like many things today, also Magic is categorized. The Magic An-Ha Lim is performing is Manipulation stage magic. What's the goal of card manipulation? Card manipulation is always connected and cannot be separated from showing off. You show the skill of your hands, which not everyone is able to do, e.g. hiding cards and producing them endlessly. An-Ha Lim is doing a perfect job with his act.....showing his skills (showing off)...if you all watched till the end of the video, the whole discussion would be unnecessary, cause since the audience gave him a standing ovation, his job couldn't be done any better.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
ESJohn
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ESJohn
While I think the preperation he puts into the act with the sorted colors, etc. is amazing and worth the effort, I couldn't agree with Fabio DeRose's last comment more. Magic is about mystifying--not impressing. But An Ha Lim has the makings of an even better act if he slows down and could be Amazing!
DaVinci
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of DaVinci
Sure, most magic has the goal to mystify people. But on the other hand what can you do as a card manipulator except from making the audience think "How in the hell is he producing so many cards from his hands?" Performed slow or fast, if you manage to make the audience think that way, you have done your job as a card manipulator.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 18:48, DaVinci wrote:
Sure, most magic has the goal to mystify people.

Well, on my opinion Magic is supposed to mistify. If not, what is it then? Gardening?

Keep in mind that the audience doesn't separate Manipulation from General Magic from Children's Magic from whatsoever. For the audience (And we, as Magicians, should work our miracles but for them, not for our fellow magi) the Magic is much, much simpler: either it is good or bad. Entertaining or not. Mystifying or show-offish (ergo boring). Smple as this (In my opinion, of course). The audience doesn't see if you're using a shell or not for your multiplying balls. They don't see gimmicks. They are not supposed to.

Quote:
But on the other hand what can you do as a card manipulator except from making the audience think "How in the hell is he producing so many cards from his hands?"

Again, on my own, personal opinion about some particular aspects of Magic, the best manipulation is that one which does not seem but mere manipulation. When manipulation seems effortless it is good manipulation.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22251 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
After viewing the video. It is very apparent that some of the handling may be An ha Lim's very own. The methods he used can be found on Jeff Mc Bride's Card Manipulation DVD's and Juliana Chen's Shooting Card DVD (By the way did you know she is now producing 100% plastic manipulation cards.) A friend was kind enough to bring me a deck from the IBM Convention. Hardly tell the difference and they will last a very long time. Just wash them and re-use.

To go along with some of his different hand positions,Lim also has a very custom set of clothing in Tails. His unique method of steals using this clothing is new.

So if you would like to do such a manipulation of cards, just go to your local tailor and have him make you set of formal tails. That will set you back hundreds of dollars, so you must be committed. In the mean time learn from the above videos and maybe you could do such unique performance also.

I see he is not exactly wearing tails but a short coat with an attached type of skirt. Anyway speak with your tailor.

It would be better in my view if he would have stuck with more of a magical performance and not as much as a manipulator skill type of presentation.

Some of his productions such as the interlocked finger production was very poorly excuted.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1448 Posts

Profile of JNeal
[quote]On 2009-08-01 19:59, Fábio DeRose wrote:

the best manipulation is that one which does not seem but mere manipulation. When manipulation seems effortless it is good manipulation.
This reiterates what I said up above ...art lies in concealing art.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
An Ha Lim is a GREAT Mainpulator, probably the best in the world!

But after viewing his Fism contest performance via CCTV, think we all can see why he got third instead of 1st...in my PERSONAL view from what I seen

1) He makes a few mistakes in the 3/4 part of the card manipulation hence this is where he lose most of the points....his 'guilty' smile gave away too Smile

2) There were split in the fan not a perfect fan sometimes...this lose points too as Yo Kato is close to perfection as well as the Germany manipulator.

3) Lastly, you can see the cards hidden behind his pants on the left & right, when the tail sway right to left as he was moving too fast...he should alter his tails to avoid this cos an top manipulator cannot allow this to happen...not sure if this happens in IBM/SAM 2008.

Hope he will be back stronger with more new original materials & a perfect tail to hide the cards Smile
ESJohn
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ESJohn
I agree with all that dove boy just said, But still think he missed the main reason he didn't win. It's because he performed his b*****lms and interlock productions so fast that the inventors of them would roll over in their graves! He performed the slow twirling productions in the middle beautifully but ruined the interlock and ba****lm productions because of his jerky, spastic movements. Any competition is looking for a manipulator with an everlasting exellent quality.
DaVinci
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of DaVinci
@dove-boy Can you give us a CCTV-link to hi FISM performance
I really would like to see this.
Orange Eric
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Orange Eric
The younger kid also from Korea that pete said was better than Lim is Hun Lee, he won the 2008 teen contest at the world magic seminar!
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
http://space.tv.cctv.com/video/VIDE1249117328004882

An Ha Lim. Not his full act, though.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
ESJohn
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ESJohn
Orange Eric talked of a seemingly great manipulator, Hun Lee. Does anyone know where a video of his manipulation is?
Orange Eric
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Orange Eric
I have not been able to find a video of his act anywhere on the internet, Im sure we will be seeing him in many competitions in the next year!
DaVinci
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of DaVinci
Elliot are talking about Seol-Hui Han the manipulator with CDs? If yes, here is a link of his FISM 2009 performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgKJiVcBjM
The uploader has most of the award winning performances.
ESJohn
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ESJohn
DaVinci, I wasn't talking about Seol Hui Han but I enjoyed the video!

Thanks A lot!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hun Lee... yes he was awesome. More magical and many of the same types of manipulations. Keep your eyes peeled for him.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Internatio......1?ref=mf
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
realorcy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of realorcy
Two words. too fast
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » An ha lim's great card manipulation (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL