The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th century silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Engine
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Engine
Can anyone tell me where to find (or pm me with a solution) a set of 20th century silks that would be white and black connected by red? I have considered various changing apparatus but I don't think it's the best solution. (Although if I could find a mirror glass that looked really great I'd glad pay well for it!)

cheers
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have one of these:

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......s_id=263

It is just about the nicest one I have ever seen.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I'd contact Richard Hughes. He is a member of the Café. I'm sure he could make one up for you. I had him make me a set with specific colors a few years back. Great quality work and a decent price.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I can make one up. I would suggest that the bag silk be the black one.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
While I would recommend Richard for this as well, I should also mention that there is a delightful method of doing the 20th century silks that can be done with even the sheerest silks.

The handling can be found in the Rice Silk encycl. (under 20th Cent.....natch') and was featured in Dai Vernon's "Select Secrets". It uses an ungimmicked paper cone as well and the method is attributed to Justiniani.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 11:54am
PS and BTW-
Richard if you comment on this post I think you'll hit the 4000 mark. Congratulations!!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Good choice, JNeal. The only change I would make is that you use repositionable glue along one edge of the newspaper to hold it in cone shape instead of trying to pin it (I remember getting several stab wounds from the pinning method).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-06-26 15:26, Spellbinder wrote:
Good choice, JNeal. The only change I would make is that you use repositionable glue along one edge of the newspaper to hold it in cone shape instead of trying to pin it (I remember getting several stab wounds from the pinning method).

Professor,

This is another place where I have used Bobbie Pins!

People see how short my hair is and wonder why I buy them! (You can buy white ones for newspapers. Nurses also have them.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes anything that will speed the preparation process. It's important not to ignore the preliminaries in so many tricks...but not to be bogged down by them either!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Engine
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Engine
Quote:
On 2009-06-26 11:53, JNeal wrote:
While I would recommend Richard for this as well, I should also mention that there is a delightful method of doing the 20th century silks that can be done with even the sheerest silks.

The handling can be found in the Rice Silk encycl. (under 20th Cent.....natch') and was featured in Dai Vernon's "Select Secrets". It uses an ungimmicked paper cone as well and the method is attributed to Justiniani.

Would that be in Vol 2?

I'll have a look at that before I go any farther. BTW Richard I tried to contact you via email but got no reply - maybe I had a bad addy (I think I got it from your website?)
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My email is listed below my name here. I have had some trouble getting AOL mail. AOL is having some problems.

I just linked onto your website and contacted you.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I believe it's volume two.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There is a bunch of 20th century stuff in volume 2.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Given a choice, I would never use three different solid color silks in 20th Century Silks. Have you considered Sympathetic Silks as your vehicle instead?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Hai Richard,

This maybe is off topic but can you also make a custom champagne silk with bigger load and custom colours?

My best, Ronald
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ronald,

Yes, I can. Write me a regular email and tell me what you are thinking about using.

Found out a lot of my emails went into the spam folder. I don't why but suddenly the computer decided it did not like a lot of people. So I am playing catch up with emails.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-06-26 11:53, JNeal wrote:

You beat me to it!

This is my favorite handling of the 20th Century and using ungaffed silks to boot. Such a clean an elegant method, so to balance it out I use the Temple Screens to vanish the silk.
Ray Pierce
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ray,
Temple Screens ... with the standard or deluxe buddhas?

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol.. Deluxe and I added extra glitter and difraction tape by hand.
Ray Pierce
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Now WDI...I believe that MY use of temple screens predates your handling of the Justiniani handling. I remember distinctly that I performed something not at all dissimilar at the MAGIC CASTLE that was inspired by the writings of Al DuCane....In fact, were you not on the stage that same night?

Anyway, I think the addition of diffraction grading tape is s significant enough difference to separate our effects...as they said in the film 'Steel Magnolias', : "what separates us from the lower species... is our ability to accessorize!"
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I DO remember that performance! I remember many being moved by the reading combined with some remarkable magic. It's a shame that as we get older we sometimes lose that need to reach out to our audiences with alternative artistic presentations that can mean so much. I only remember seeing that routine one time. I still don't know how you afforded all of those silks you produced! I honestly think my inspiration for the gold mylar trim on my temple screens came from another act that night with tons of gold jewlery. It was like combining Mr. T with Channing Pollock. Those were the days!
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th century silks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL